RF7-ii Sideways vs RC64-ii Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question that I think I already know the answer to so let me apologize in advance. I am breaking ground on construction of a dedicated theatre room on Monday. Currently I have 3x RF7-ii for LCR in my system (center channel is raised so that drivers are above TV). I am going to make the move to a projector leaving me three choices:

a) Get a perforated projector screen and place speaker behind. Not feasible in my set-up, can't tolerate loss of space in having a speaker behind screen.

b) Lay the RF7-ii horizontally which I assume will most likely cause dispersion, imaging problems and perhaps nasty things happening at the crossover points (correct me if I am wrong).

c) Get an RC64-ii center channel at the expense of not having matching LCR.

I think option 'C' is the way to go. What are your thoughts? Am I exaggerating the consequences of leaving a floor standing speaker on its side?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 712
You could try this with a rf-7ii http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175738.aspx
The rc-64ii is a nice center but a rf-7ii would be better imo biggrin.gif

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Option C.

Do not do option B, as that speaker's off axis response is intended for horizontal response, and the vertical response will be far inferior. Something else to think about, the RC-64 may have lobing problems because of the way the woofers are setup. I would into the advantages that an RC-62 center might have over the RC-64.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Option C.

Do not do option B, as that speaker's off axis response is intended for horizontal response, and the vertical response will be far inferior. Something else to think about, the RC-64 may have lobing problems because of the way the woofers are setup. I would into the advantages that an RC-62 center might have over the RC-64.

huh?eek.gif No advantage what so ever with the rc-62. The 64 is far superior to the much smaller 62 (owned both not even close). smile.gif

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 370
a) Get a perforated projector screen and place speaker behind. Not feasible in my set-up, can't tolerate loss of space in having a speaker behind screen.

or

c) Get an RC64-ii center channel at the expense of not having matching LCR.

For the record, I've never seen anyone displeased with the RC-64II and I agree with Ref about not downgrading to the RC-62. The only people I could see being an exception would be those that have had 3 RF-7s across the front and if that is true please come back and post your opinion. smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your input, I figured this would be the case. I will miss having 3 RF-7s across the front frown.gif. So now I will have a spare RF-7 sitting around meaning I might as well buy another one while I am at it and upgrade my computer speakers biggrin.gif.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page