Dedicated Home Theatre For Budget of $10,000 to $12,000.... Help Me Out Guys I need some ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
2fastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been working out of country for 3 years and have saved up enough to build a nice Theatre when I move back home in 2 months..

I have only done a small amount of research so I need your help.

The room is pre-wired for a 7.2 system as well as a projector with wire from Monoprice

The Room dimensions are 17'6'' x 15'

When I built the room 3 years ago I had planned (and still do plan on watching Action movies with full impact) so with that in mind I built the room with a wall and ceiling assembly of a single layer of donnacona board and 2 layers of drywall using green glue between each layer. I wont lie...Dual SVS PB 13's are on my list, however I am open to all suggestions. (subs will be placed upfront on a stage as well as L & R and center)

I have been told that the Marantz AV7701 paired with the Marantz 5ch MM7055 and the Marantz 2ch MM7025 are pretty highly rated, but again living out of country I have not had the chance to listen to them.


If you had 10k to 12k how would you build your room?

Any help would be great
2fastman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 436
For a dedicated home theater, I would be looking at speakers with big dynamics; Pi, JTR, JBL cinema. For subwoofers, JTR, Seaton, or Funk. For the receiver and amplification, I would just get a Denon AVR-X4000, and if you feel the need for even more extreme loudness levels, get a separate amplifier. I really don't think you will feel the need for that with the kind of speakers I am suggesting. The Denon can separately equalize and calibrate two subs independently, which is not something that Marantz can do. If you want a big movie sound, get big movie speakers, not higher powered amplifiers which will do very little that an decent AVR's amplifier can not do.
shadyJ is online now  
post #3 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The $1400 Rythmik FV15HP outperforms the $2K SVS sub from 32-63Hz, where most of the bass is heard. So for about the same money, I would rather get three FV15HP! biggrin.gif

CEA Standard (THD <10%, 2 Meters) SPL @ 20/32/40/50/63 Hz:
$2,000 SVS PB13 Ultra: 110.6/113.5/115.5/117.5/117.8
$1,400 Rythmik FV15HP: 108.1/117.0/119.5/119.1/118.8

For speakers, I would get 5 -7 monitors since the bass is really wasted on towers IMO, especially if you have 3 Rythmik subs.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #4 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 701
If I was starting from ground zero and looking at building a system with your budget I would defiantly be buying an all JTR system. www.jtrspeakers.com

I would start off with dual Captivator 2400 subs @ $5000 for both.
Then three 228HT's for my LCR's @ $3600.
And four Slant 8's for my surrounds @ $3600.

That would come too $12,200 and then there would be a 10% for buying 8 or more pieces bringing it down to $10,980 plus shipping. IMO that would be a pretty amazing sounding system.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #5 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The $1400 Rythmik FV15HP outperforms the $2K SVS sub from 32-63Hz, where most of the bass is heard. So for about the same money, I would rather get three FV15HP! biggrin.gif

Bah! I'd sooner get a couple of Funk 18.0 subs, only 2.5k shipped at the moment.
shadyJ is online now  
post #6 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nyal Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Five Procella P6s, two SVS SB13 Ultras and a good AVR such as a Yamaha plus a calibration by someone who knows what they are doing. I've done rooms with JTRs Triple 12s and I prefer the SQ with Procella.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Nyal Mellor is offline  
post #7 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Five Procella P6s, two SVS SB13 Ultras and a good AVR such as a Yamaha plus a calibration by someone who knows what they are doing. I've done rooms with JTRs Triple 12s and I prefer the SQ with Procella.

Have you heard any of the Noesis speakers from JTR yet or just the older speakers?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #8 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Bah! I'd sooner get a couple of Funk 18.0 subs, only 2.5k shipped at the moment.

Dual Funk would be $5100, which is also great.

CEA Standard (THD <10%, 2 Meters) SPL @ 20/32/40/50/63 Hz:
Rythmik FV15HP: 108.1/117.0/119.5/119.1/118.8
Funk 18.0: 103.6/114.9/119.9/121.4/121.9

The Funk is better from 40Hz on up, but the much cheaper Rythmik ain't that far behind, but the Rythmik outputs more from 20-32Hz.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #9 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 436
You are comparing CEA burst data alone. Look at all the metrics. Compare the distortion sweeps. Also note that according to Josh, "Unfortunately the single 3" port can't cope with the output of the 15" driver and compresses a lot while also contributing a lot of wind noise at the highest output levels" which is the mode from where you are getting your CEA data from. The Rythmik has advantages of ports, but the Funk has the advantages of a far more powerful driver which I think outweigh port output.
shadyJ is online now  
post #10 of 101 Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 174
A complete Klipsch Ultra II set up with 2 subs can be had for less than $7000.

Purchase separates..........................and be done with it.

JTR's might be a good choice but is over budget when considering separates.............don't like receivers.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #11 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You are comparing CEA burst data alone. Look at all the metrics. Compare the distortion sweeps. Also note that according to Josh, "Unfortunately the single 3" port can't cope with the output of the 15" driver and compresses a lot while also contributing a lot of wind noise at the highest output levels" which is the mode from where you are getting your CEA data from. The Rythmik has advantages of ports, but the Funk has the advantages of a far more powerful driver which I think outweigh port output.

I own dual Funk 18.0 so you won't hear arguments from me. In the case of Funk, you do get what you pay for. Funk is unequivocally among the top of the sub food chain for sure.

The OP's budget for sub was about $3600 for dual SVS (10% discount for multiple subs).

Of course, dual Funk 18.0 would be BETTER, but also about $5100.

Is the difference justified? To me it is, but not everyone agrees.

Besides, I only buy passive subs so I would only buy subs from Funk, RBH, Klipsch THX, never from Rythmik, SVS, PSA, HSU, etc.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #12 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

A complete Klipsch Ultra II set up with 2 subs can be had for less than $7000.

Yes, the dealer cost on the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system is about 60% off MSRP. So a nice dealer should be able to help out. wink.gif

FR +/-1dB from 100Hz-10kHz on-axis, smooth off-axis, high efficiency output (THX Ultra2 certified), confirmed and approved by HTM and Audioholics. Should be one kick-a$$ sound system. biggrin.gif

But I would get four THX subs, instead of two. The more, the merrier. biggrin.gif

Of course, Funk subs would outperform the Klipsch THX subs...

Since the Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers are quite sensitive (93-97 dB/2.83V/m), I don't think the OP really needs more than a Denon X4000 AVR.

But, if he still wants an amp, I think a $1300 (MSRP $2400) ATI AT1805 amp would be great.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers.html

ATI amps are stable down to 2 ohms (The Audio Critic/ AT6012 amp).

A 120WPC ATI can output 150 WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven. A 200WPC ATI can output 300WPC into 8 ohms x 5Ch driven, so a 180WPC can probably output 250WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch, which is more than enough for a high efficiency speaker.

But, again, I think even a Denon X4000 (stable to 4 ohms), which can output 103WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven will do fine,
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #13 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thirdeye11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Yes, the dealer cost on the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system is about 60% off MSRP. So a nice dealer should be able to help out. wink.gif

FR +/-1dB from 100Hz-10kHz on-axis, smooth off-axis, high efficiency output (THX Ultra2 certified), confirmed and approved by HTM and Audioholics. Should be one kick-a$$ sound system. biggrin.gif

But I would get four THX subs, instead of two. The more, the merrier. biggrin.gif

Of course, Funk subs would outperform the Klipsch THX subs...

Since the Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers are quite sensitive (93-97 dB/2.83V/m), I don't think the OP really needs more than a Denon X4000 AVR.

But, if he still wants an amp, I think a $1300 (MSRP $2400) ATI AT1805 amp would be great.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers.html

ATI amps are stable down to 2 ohms (The Audio Critic/ AT6012 amp).

A 120WPC ATI can output 150 WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven. A 200WPC ATI can output 300WPC into 8 ohms x 5Ch driven, so a 180WPC can probably output 250WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch, which is more than enough for a high efficiency speaker.

But, again, I think even a Denon X4000 (stable to 4 ohms), which can output 103WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven will do fine,

The X4000 MAY be stable to 4ohms, but Denon only rates it stable to 6ohms. They do rate their flagship 4320CI stable to 4ohms though.
thirdeye11 is offline  
post #14 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

The X4000 MAY be stable to 4ohms, but Denon only rates it stable to 6ohms. They do rate their flagship 4320CI stable to 4ohms though.

Does anyone unequivocally and implicitly rely on the legal words of amp and speaker companies, instead of ACTUAL 3rd party measurements?

The Denon (3312) outputs 225 WPC x 2 Ch into 4 ohms on ACTUAL HTM measurement, alongside with all the amps measured by HTM over the years including McIntosh, Bryston, Parasound, Lexicon, etc.

That's what counts, not what Denon rates to legally cover their a$$e$ against lawsuits. biggrin.gif
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #15 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If I was starting from ground zero and looking at building a system with your budget I would defiantly be buying an all JTR system. www.jtrspeakers.com

I would start off with dual Captivator 2400 subs @ $5000 for both.
Then three 228HT's for my LCR's @ $3600.
And four Slant 8's for my surrounds @ $3600.

That would come too $12,200 and then there would be a 10% for buying 8 or more pieces bringing it down to $10,980 plus shipping. IMO that would be a pretty amazing sounding system.

Budget used up, but no sound because there's no receiver, and no image because there's no BR player, projector and screen. biggrin.gif

psgcdn is offline  
post #16 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Yes, the dealer cost on the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system is about 60% off MSRP. So a nice dealer should be able to help out. wink.gif

FR +/-1dB from 100Hz-10kHz on-axis, smooth off-axis, high efficiency output (THX Ultra2 certified), confirmed and approved by HTM and Audioholics. Should be one kick-a$$ sound system. biggrin.gif

But I would get four THX subs, instead of two. The more, the merrier. biggrin.gif

Of course, Funk subs would outperform the Klipsch THX subs...

Since the Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers are quite sensitive (93-97 dB/2.83V/m), I don't think the OP really needs more than a Denon X4000 AVR.

But, if he still wants an amp, I think a $1300 (MSRP $2400) ATI AT1805 amp would be great.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers.html

ATI amps are stable down to 2 ohms (The Audio Critic/ AT6012 amp).

A 120WPC ATI can output 150 WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven. A 200WPC ATI can output 300WPC into 8 ohms x 5Ch driven, so a 180WPC can probably output 250WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch, which is more than enough for a high efficiency speaker.

But, again, I think even a Denon X4000 (stable to 4 ohms), which can output 103WPC into 8 ohms x 5 Ch driven will do fine,

That is the biggest mistake with Klipsch Ultra II owners.........................not giving them enough power! The ATI 3007 for $3800 is more the ticket.........seriously!!!
Ultra's can handle 600 watts dynamic..................and I do agree with you.........4 subs would be better! wink.gif
doublewing11 is offline  
post #17 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
For that sized room, forget the JTR's and go for Triad Gold L/C/R fronts and four Triad Silver surrounds and start with at least one Rythmik Audio FV15HP sub. Much smoother and more musical and accurate for the money. Triad has a number of options from in-room, on-wall, and in-wall varieties that all timbre match.

JTR's are more for ear splitting loudness and a really large room and you give up some accuracy for that ability to play at reference volumes. You push for reference volumes in a relatively small room and you'll do real damage to your hearing. Some of the replies you've received are looking more at your budget and not your room dimensions. smile.gif17'6'' x 15'

Get an Outlaw Audio or Parasound multi-channel amp and use a basic 7.2 receiver with full pre-amp outputs. Changes are a-comin' to the world of home theater, so why put a lot of money into a surround processor right now?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #18 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

That is the biggest mistake with Klipsch Ultra II owners.........................not giving them enough power! The ATI 3007 for $3800 is more the ticket.........seriously!!!
Ultra's can handle 600 watts dynamic..................and I do agree with you.........4 subs would be better! wink.gif

The KL650 has a specified sensitivity of 97dB. Let's be conservative and say 94dB/2.83V/m.

That means just 2 speakers (not 7 speaker + 2 subs which would substantially increase SPL) can produce a volume of 105dB from 4 meter away with 100 watts of power.

4 speakers would be 108dB, and 8 speakers would be 111dB from 100 watts per Ch from 4m.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #19 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 701
The Ultra 2 would be a great setup considering the OP's budget, but i personally think probably be better off skipping the Ultra 2 subs and getting something ID for less money and better performance. Althought I have JTR speakers and prefer them over the Ultra 2 speakers that I've heard and IMO they are worth the extra money, the Ultra 2 setup would be my next choice personally.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #20 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The Ultra 2 would be a great setup considering the OP's budget, but i personally think probably be better off skipping the Ultra 2 subs and getting something ID for less money and better performance. Althought I have JTR speakers and prefer them over the Ultra 2 speakers that I've heard and IMO they are worth the extra money, the Ultra 2 setup would be my next choice personally.

Agree............I'm not a fan of ported subs. When giving watts...........the Ultra's can sing! They can handle twice the spec-ed rms.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #21 of 101 Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
2fastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

For that sized room, forget the JTR's and go for Triad Gold L/C/R fronts and four Triad Silver surrounds and start with at least one Rythmik Audio FV15HP sub. Much smoother and more musical and accurate for the money. Triad has a number of options from in-room, on-wall, and in-wall varieties that all timbre match.

JTR's are more for ear splitting loudness and a really large room and you give up some accuracy for that ability to play at reference volumes. You push for reference volumes in a relatively small room and you'll do real damage to your hearing. Some of the replies you've received are looking more at your budget and not your room dimensions. smile.gif17'6'' x 15'

Get an Outlaw Audio or Parasound multi-channel amp and use a basic 7.2 receiver with full pre-amp outputs. Changes are a-comin' to the world of home theater, so why put a lot of money into a surround processor right now?


Thanks Dan,

What type of 7.2 receiver were you thinking to compliment the Amps?

What is the cost on a 5 channel and a 2 channel in the Outlaw or Parasound?

How would these pair up with the Ultra II 's ?
2fastman is offline  
post #22 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastman View Post

Thanks Dan,

What type of 7.2 receiver were you thinking to compliment the Amps?

What is the cost on a 5 channel and a 2 channel in the Outlaw or Parasound?

How would these pair up with the Ultra II 's ?

Outlaw 7 X 200 can be had for $2199 + shipping............

ATI is the OEM for Outlaw.............look at ClassicAudioParts website to find a compatible amp if you prefer ATI.

I own an Halo A-31........great amp.........the A-51 is $4499 MSRP and A-21 $2199. Parasound makes less expensive amps. Look for amps with balanced connects thus eliminating the infamous hum.....ie. ground loops. AVS is an authorized retailer for Parasound........check out their pricing........

With separates, you could purchase the Marantz 8801 and Outlaw/ATI amp for < $5000. Talk to Mike at AVS concerning the Marantz...............you'll be happy and surprised. wink.gif

With a complete Ultra II set up and fore mentioned separates................you'll be very happy.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #23 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I was thinking something more along the lines of a Marantz 5007 receiver (full 7.2 pre-amp outs) with any of the amps mentioned above ^^^^ Parasound's lower priced amps are the Classics. Only reason to get a fancier receiver than that is if you must have 7.2 channels (for Blu-ray 7.1 tracks) + front height and/or front wide effects post processing. That would necessitate a 9.2 or 11.2 channel receiver with DTS Neo:X or Dolby ProLogic IIz or Audyssey DSX (some have two or all three included) or more expensive pre-amp with the same features. With UHD starting to roll out and the potential for much more sophisticated object based audio like Dolby Atmos or DTS MDA, I wouldn't spend a lot on a surround processor at this juncture.

XLR is really only needed if both pre-amp and amp has the connectors. I know of no receiver with XLR pre-outs.

The Klipsch THX Ultra2 monitor's are nice and can get plenty loud (the subs you can skip and go with any number of ID sub makers listed here), but are not the most accurate speakers available. I really like the Triads better because you can get dynamic and smooth, accurate sound all in one (great for music reproduction too).

If your room design can handle it and you do decide on the Klipsch, I'd go with direct radiators all around. Like 650's up front (front three) and wall mounted and aimed 525's for the surrounds and any potential height effects channels (if five-screen channels makes a comeback, then you'd want another pair of 650's for that duty). This would be killer... especially with the newer surround formats on the horizon that can task lesser surround speakers (and don't do as well with dipole type diffusion).

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #24 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

The Klipsch THX Ultra2 monitor's are nice and can get plenty loud (the subs you can skip and go with any number of ID sub makers listed here), but are not the most accurate speakers available. I really like the Triads better because you can get dynamic and smooth, accurate sound all in one (great for music reproduction too).
The third party measurements of the frequency response on the KL-650s seem to indicate it is one of the more accurate speakers available. How many are measured to me more accurate.. the Revel Salon 2, ... and .. what? Name a single other speaker that can match its FR.
65 Electra Glide likes this.
shadyJ is online now  
post #25 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
2fastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are your guy's thoughts on the Marantz MM8077
2fastman is offline  
post #26 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Not enough info to put together a system. Are there going to be one or two rows? What is the viewing distance for each row? You listed action movies, but what about 3D, sports and gaming. Are you wanting to go with a fixed frame screen? Are you wanting an AT screen? I realize most of these questions have to do with video and we are in the audio section, but need these answers to determine space available and budget for the audio.

OP'er, I will send you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #27 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


but are not the most accurate speakers available. I really like the Triads better because you can get dynamic and smooth, accurate sound all in one (great for music reproduction too).

ShadyJ already said it, but what do you mean "not accurate" ?

Not one, but TWO independent 3rd parties measured the KL650-THX to be +/-1dB listening window (AH & HTM).

You don't consider that "accurate"? biggrin.gif

What's "accurate" to you ? biggrin.gif

The only Triad speaker measurement I saw was +/-5dB. That's really accurate. biggrin.gif

"Accurate to a person's ears" is called SUBJECTIVE hearing. Its perfectly fine because we have to buy what we LIKE (not what is measured), but not everyone will agree with our opinions. smile.gif

Bottom line is, everyone will have a different subjective opinion about every speaker he's heard. Whether it subjectively sounds accurate to them is equivocal and very debatable.

But the actual objective measurements are easier to substantiate, confirmed, or agreed.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #28 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastman View Post

What are your guy's thoughts on the Marantz MM8077

For the money I'd recommend the Outlaw Audio 7700 7-channel amp over the MM8077 (a bit more power and it's 4 ohm stable) . ATI does make some solid power amps for various companies and in the U.S.A. too, which is rare these days (I have one that's 12 years old and still going strong). Since the Klipsch Ultra2's are so efficient, that should be plenty of power.

And I second the information request of Mike G. ^^^^ It will definitely help in choosing the best equipment for the money.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #29 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The third party measurements of the frequency response on the KL-650s seem to indicate it is one of the more accurate speakers available. How many are measured to me more accurate.. the Revel Salon 2, ... and .. what? Name a single other speaker that can match its FR.

I've heard Triad speakers and I've heard the Klipsch THX package. To MY ears, the Triad's are sonically more accurate and have a much less fatiguing high frequency response (though, the horns in the THX and above models are far better than those in their consumer lines). Test bench measurements are only part of the equation.

Accurate means: a human voice sounds like a human voice without much coloration and harshness. A violin sounds like a violin without much coloration, etc. etc. I think the combination of the tweeters and crossovers used by Triad (especially in the Silver models on up) are superior to the Klipsch THX Ultra2's.

The Klipsch's, when pushed, can start to sound nasally and a bit shouty with a kind of cupped mouth sound. The Triad's throw a much wider soundstage, especially with music.

If cost was no object the Triad Platinums or Procella's would be my choice.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #30 of 101 Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OKC
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastman View Post

What are your guy's thoughts on the Marantz MM8077

I think the 150WPC in the Marantz is similar to the amp inside the Denon 5308 AVR: 235.5 WPC x 2ch 8 hms/ 339.2 WPC x 2ch 4 ohms/ 184.6 WPC x 5Ch into 8 ohms.

That should be more than enough for most speakers.

I think most people would rather get something like an AT1807 (which is probably 250+ WPC x 7Ch), but if you really like the Marantz, it should be good enough.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor , Marantz Mm7025 Stereo Power Amplifier Black , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off