Please help finalize a 5.1 speaker system with budget $500 ~ $600. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had so much help so far from members on this forum. I wanted to thank Afrogt, ien2 and GusGus748s among others who's names escape me.

Forgive me for a long post.

After first saying she was only ok with satellites, my wife agreed for me to get Bookshelfs. Afrogt helped in another thread I started about the best 5.1 speaker system to get for ~$500. With his recommendation, I was sold on the JBL CS6100BG satellite system until my wife changed her mind.

So now I have settled on my original choice of getting the Pioneer BS22 + C22 combination for LCR speakers.

Details:

Receiver: Pioneer SC-1522K - already have it
Room dimensions : 20' deep X 15' wide x 9', high opening into the kitchen just as big.
Usage: 15 % cable TV, 30% movies (DVD & blu-ray), 20% video games, ~10% music, 25% use TV speakers with system shut off smile.gif

Overall speaker budget = $500 but could stretch it to $600

LCR speakers I have in mind: LR = Pioneer BS22 , Center = C22
Surrounds - I want to get something smaller than BS22 in the back if possible. Just to keep my wife happy even though she was ok with book shelves.
Sub - No idea
No floor standing speakers.

See image below.

First image:

The black oval on the bottom left is where I am thinking of placing the Sub. Not on the kitchen side, but on the other side of the wall that separates the kitchen from the family room. The main seating area is a sofa on the other side of the wall right next to where I want the Sub. The purple/pinkish circle you see is where I think the surrounds should go since the sofa is up against the separator wall.

A closer look of the family room is below. Forgive the mess. We like to watch movies on weekends and fall asleep right in the family room.

Second image:

The red ovals are where I want to place the Left and Right speakers. They will be about 8-10 inches from the back wall. Is this enough for the rear ports ? How far from the side wall should they be placed to avoid reflections ?

The Blue oval is where I will put the receiver since it is too big to fit inside the book shelf. How far from the receiver should the speaker be ? Is the BS22 shielded ? How far from the wall should the receiver be in the back and side ? Can the PS3 be put on top of the receiver ? I don't want it to die due to heat from the receiver.

The Green oval under the TV is where I want to put the center channel. Is this an ideal place. The center channel will be about a foot ahead of the LR speakers (since the LR speakers are on the book shelves). Isn't there a setting on most receivers these days to change the sound level so the LCRs still sounds as if they are all perfectly alligned ? The center channel weighs 13 lbs 7 oz. I wonder if mantles are made to hold that much weight or if I should mount it on the wall between the mantle and TV. Since it is rear ported, how far from the wall should the speaker be for optimal performance ?

Since the LCR are not mounted, they will point straight out instead of tilted down to the main listening area. Is this not ideal ? How bad will it hurt performance ?

I listened to the Pioneers BS22-C22 and a Polk T15 matched with a Polk center T1x something and the polks sounded clearer. I read somewhere that polks are good for music while pioneers are good for movies. Like I said above, we won't use the system for music much though.

I want to go with the Pioneer LCR combo but if the center channel performance will be killed because of it's distance to the wall I am wondering if I should switch to a front ported center speaker and hence chance all LCR speakers to a different brand/model. What front ported brands are out there in that price range that beat the Pioneers ? Also, I don't want something bigger than the BS22 or C22.

I am still undecided on a Sub and rear speakers. I am also open to buying the rear speakers later, but on once side I feel that if I don't get them now I won't spend the time to research and get them later.

Thanks a million in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 653
A few suggestions:

I wouldn't put the PS3 on top of the receiver if you can help it. Receivers can run warm, and the ventilation on top is important. And you don't really want it to heat up the PS3. If it absolutely has to go there, get some 1" or so high rubber feet to lift it off the receiver more. Just set them underneath the PS3.

Newegg has the Pioneer SP-BS21, the older Andrew Jones speaker version, for $79 shipped. While not smaller, a good bargain for surrounds. Since you have the Pioneer SC-1522K, which should let you set the crossover differently for the surrounds, how about some Cambridge Minx 10s for the rear? I bet those would make the wife happy smile.gif The Cambridge Audio Minx speakers perform how Bose cubes SHOULD perform for what Bose charges (lol).

For a sub, the Dayton SUB 1200 is about the cheapest good budget sub for HT. For a little more and a step up, popular favorites on the AVS subwoofer forum are the BIC F12 (Amazon) and PSW505 (check Amazon and Newegg), whichever is cheaper (people argue over which is better; it's like listening to PC/MAC debates LOL). Then this refurbished Velodyne Bass Matrix 10 looks like it could be a really good performer (listed as out of stock, but says call to check availability--Velodyne is a well-respected brand). If you had to go smaller, this JBL has been down below $200 at Newegg (check when ready to buy). But you have a big room. It's best to get a big sub if you can. smile.gif

The center will be fine out in front of the left/right like you describe. You'll use MCACC on your Pioneer receiver (should have a microphone with it) to let the receiver measure the location of all the speakers and set the distances. There is a thread for MCACC on AVS if you need to ask questions (your manual should tell you how to run it). If the center is out a few inches from the wall, the rear port should be OK. And in fact, you'll want it pulled to the edge of the mantle anyway for best disbursement of the sound.
Wally_br likes this.

post #3 of 35 Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
A little bigger? I like NHT super zeros, but that would be a case of add the sub later (or start with 2 and a sub and add 3 more later, which would be my choice)
Wally_br likes this.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 AM

Heh,

After I read your PM it dawned on me that I completely forgot to mention the SuperZero's which lespurgeon mentioned. Ah well.

You absolutely do not want to put the PS3 above the receiver even with risers. The thick model is somewhat prone to overheating, and though the slim model mostly took care of that problem, given how hot receivers can run it's a risk you just do not want. Both the Xbox and PS3's heat management assume at least adequate ventilation with ambient temps that are tolerable, perhaps no more than 100~110F at the max. The heat off an average AVR will probably shoot it past that mark without active ventilation (aka fan smile.gif ) even if the room is kept at ~70F.

As for the port on the center, I wouldn't really worry about it, it's for low end extension however you will be crossing over at 80hz I assume. If the sound seems a little off because of the reflection, you can always put a sock in the port biggrin.gifwink.gif. Also, if it's a well built mantle, it should be anchored to the wall and easily support 30-40+pounds so the speaker wouldn't be a problem. If it's just decorative, I'd still expect it to take 15 without a problem but don't hold me to that smile.gif. You can always put 20 pounds on it an see what happens.

After seeing these pictures and what you'd like for positioning, I have an idea for you. I honestly don't think you would want to have something as big as the Pioneers hanging off the walls for rears for this type of room and placement, they're a fair amount bigger than a 5lb bag of flour. In this case, I'm going to recommend the Minx 11's for the rears and this is where my idea comes into play. In your previous post I mentioned the Minx all around when you were strictly looking at sats and also mentioned that I prefer them over the Pioneers after you were given the ok for bookshelves. My suggestion would be to get the BIC F12 sub, a pair of 11's from a local dealer, and ask if they have an 11 or 21 you could demo. Then put them up front and give it a go for a few days and see how you like them, even if you can't get a demo you'll still get a good feel for what the front stage will be like with just stereo from the 11's.

If you go "WOW!" great, you'll just have to decide how you want to budget, if you want to go all 21's in front or maybe just 11's all around, or 11's with a 21 center, or perhaps an 3.1with an addition later on. If they just don't quite do it for you as mains, slap them in the rears and go with the Pioneers (or something else) for the front.

As for pricing Amazon is actually the high price and you should get a lower price at a local dealer, you should expect to get the 11's for under $75-80 a piece and under $165 for the 21's should you want them.
Wally_br likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

A few suggestions:

I wouldn't put the PS3 on top of the receiver if you can help it. Receivers can run warm, and the ventilation on top is important. And you don't really want it to heat up the PS3. If it absolutely has to go there, get some 1" or so high rubber feet to lift it off the receiver more. Just set them underneath the PS3.

Newegg has the Pioneer SP-BS21, the older Andrew Jones speaker version, for $79 shipped. While not smaller, a good bargain for surrounds. Since you have the Pioneer SC-1522K, which should let you set the crossover differently for the surrounds, how about some Cambridge Minx 10s for the rear? I bet those would make the wife happy smile.gif The Cambridge Audio Minx speakers perform how Bose cubes SHOULD perform for what Bose charges (lol).

For a sub, the Dayton SUB 1200 is about the cheapest good budget sub for HT. For a little more and a step up, popular favorites on the AVS subwoofer forum are the BIC F12 (Amazon) and PSW505 (check Amazon and Newegg), whichever is cheaper (people argue over which is better; it's like listening to PC/MAC debates LOL). Then this refurbished Velodyne Bass Matrix 10 looks like it could be a really good performer (listed as out of stock, but says call to check availability--Velodyne is a well-respected brand). If you had to go smaller, this JBL has been down below $200 at Newegg (check when ready to buy). But you have a big room. It's best to get a big sub if you can. smile.gif

The center will be fine out in front of the left/right like you describe. You'll use MCACC on your Pioneer receiver (should have a microphone with it) to let the receiver measure the location of all the speakers and set the distances. There is a thread for MCACC on AVS if you need to ask questions (your manual should tell you how to run it). If the center is out a few inches from the wall, the rear port should be OK. And in fact, you'll want it pulled to the edge of the mantle anyway for best disbursement of the sound.

Thanks cel4145. I'll look into the CA Minx and the subs you recommended. That's a long list smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

A little bigger? I like NHT super zeros, but that would be a case of add the sub later (or start with 2 and a sub and add 3 more later, which would be my choice)

Thanks lespurgeon for the suggestion. I'll look into the Superzeros. I want to start out with at least 3.1 so I can get the effects of the sub too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

Heh,

After I read your PM it dawned on me that I completely forgot to mention the SuperZero's which lespurgeon mentioned. Ah well.

You absolutely do not want to put the PS3 above the receiver even with risers. The thick model is somewhat prone to overheating, and though the slim model mostly took care of that problem, given how hot receivers can run it's a risk you just do not want. Both the Xbox and PS3's heat management assume at least adequate ventilation with ambient temps that are tolerable, perhaps no more than 100~110F at the max. The heat off an average AVR will probably shoot it past that mark without active ventilation (aka fan smile.gif ) even if the room is kept at ~70F.

As for the port on the center, I wouldn't really worry about it, it's for low end extension however you will be crossing over at 80hz I assume. If the sound seems a little off because of the reflection, you can always put a sock in the port biggrin.gifwink.gif. Also, if it's a well built mantle, it should be anchored to the wall and easily support 30-40+pounds so the speaker wouldn't be a problem. If it's just decorative, I'd still expect it to take 15 without a problem but don't hold me to that smile.gif. You can always put 20 pounds on it an see what happens.

After seeing these pictures and what you'd like for positioning, I have an idea for you. I honestly don't think you would want to have something as big as the Pioneers hanging off the walls for rears for this type of room and placement, they're a fair amount bigger than a 5lb bag of flour. In this case, I'm going to recommend the Minx 11's for the rears and this is where my idea comes into play. In your previous post I mentioned the Minx all around when you were strictly looking at sats and also mentioned that I prefer them over the Pioneers after you were given the ok for bookshelves. My suggestion would be to get the BIC F12 sub, a pair of 11's from a local dealer, and ask if they have an 11 or 21 you could demo. Then put them up front and give it a go for a few days and see how you like them, even if you can't get a demo you'll still get a good feel for what the front stage will be like with just stereo from the 11's.

If you go "WOW!" great, you'll just have to decide how you want to budget, if you want to go all 21's in front or maybe just 11's all around, or 11's with a 21 center, or perhaps an 3.1with an addition later on. If they just don't quite do it for you as mains, slap them in the rears and go with the Pioneers (or something else) for the front.

As for pricing Amazon is actually the high price and you should get a lower price at a local dealer, you should expect to get the 11's for under $75-80 a piece and under $165 for the 21's should you want them.

Thanks ien2. I definitely don't want the BS22 in the rear. Like you said they are too big and heavy and I want to keep the wife happy smile.gif. Are you saying that the Pioneer C22 center channel with its rear port can be an inch or two from the wall and the sound will be fine. I am guessing that having it sit flush to the wall is a big no no, correct ?

Two of you have suggested that I look into the Minx series. The price if definitely right. I was looking on amazon and crutchfield and didn't find that many reviews for either the Min 10, Min 11 or Min 21. Are they not as well known as other brands ? Forgive me, I don't know all the brands out there myself. I only know a few that I've read on these boards.

I will definitely keep the PS3 away from the receiver.

If I stay with the Pioneers for the fronts, I read that they are not shielded. How far should the BS22 be from the receiver? How about the Minx series, are they shielded ? How far should they be from the receiver ?

Thanks again.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikikyler View Post

BassMatrix-10 10 Inch Subwoofer:smile.gif
Get the most out of your home theater and music systems with the BassMatrix-10. This subwoofer's 375 Watt dynamic amplifier pushes frequencies down as low as 28 Hz while assisting your system frequencies up to 120 Hz at 3dB . This sub has DSP technology for accuracy, a forward-firing woofer and anti-clipping distortion circuits. Plus, you can customize your listening experience by selecting the movie, jazz/classical, gaming or R&B/rock listening preset with the included remote control. This subwoofer's cabinet has a black gloss front and black wood grain vinyl-clad body.
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer:wink.gif

The Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" powered subwoofer system is the perfect addition to any home theater system. This powered sub features a bottom-firing, flared port, bass reflex design for reduced port noise and increased bass response. It also utilizes a long-throw 12" woofer and up to 120 watts of house-shaking power.

The amplifier features high and low level inputs and high level outputs, a phase switch, independent volume control, an auto on/off switch (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12 dB electronic low pass filter. This compact sub is finished in an unobtrusive black vinyl that will complement any decor.

Specifications: • Power output: 120 watts RMS • Frequency response: 25-140 Hz • Box design: Ported • Inputs: RCA line level & speaker level • Outputs: Speaker level Wv7Zu Crossover frequency control: Continuously variable from 40 Hz to 140 Hz @ 12 dB/octave • Phase switch • Auto on/off • Power requirements: 120 VAC, 60 Hz • Dimensions: 16-3/4" H x 16-3/16" W x 17-3/4" D

Thanks jikikyler. I'll look into the subs.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post

Two of you have suggested that I look into the Minx series. The price if definitely right. I was looking on amazon and crutchfield and didn't find that many reviews for either the Min 10, Min 11 or Min 21. Are they not as well known as other brands ?

Right. Cambridge Audio is a UK brand that is just not as well known in the US. Most people buy Bose when they want cube speakers because of Bose's marketing, even though the Bose cubes have cheap paper drivers in them.

Here is a discussion thread on AVS for the Minx: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339511/cambridge-audio-minx-loudspeaker-discussion-thread

If you can, the Minx 11 would be a little bit better choice than the Minx 10. But I think any of the Minux will be a good choice for small satellites for the rear smile.gif

post #8 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 16
Might also look into these:

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

Happy hunting!
losservatore likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 352
They still have the SuperZero 2.0 for $60 each.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0

That smaller size will definitely make the wife happy.

5 Superzero's for $300 would leave you $200-$300 for a subwoofer which puts you in Bic F12, Bic PL200 or Klipsch RW-12d territory.

Where are you located again? You should put it in your profile.
Quote:
If I stay with the Pioneers for the fronts, I read that they are not shielded. How far should the BS22 be from the receiver? How about the Minx series, are they shielded ? How far should they be from the receiver ?

Shielding doesn't matter for receivers or flat panel tv's. It affects the older CRT TV's and monitors. Since you have a flat panel TV there is no issue.
Wally_br and losservatore like this.

Afro GT
post #10 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That's great that they still have those on special. Excellent deal. I would definitely choose those over the Minx if they are not too big for the wife smile.gif

post #11 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^^^^^^ 3 +

Afrogt Excellent search.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #12 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM

On the discussion page that cel listed, Pependicular has a whole list of links to more professional reviews in the first post, mostly there are for the 10/20 line instead of the 11/21, but yeah, not much by the way of user reviews. There is a large difference between the lines and there is virtually no reason to go with the original model unless you get a super stellar price for them. When reading the reviews, keep in mind that a few of them never gave them enough time to break in which is critical for these speakers.

You don't have to worry about shielding, you aren't running a CRT and the receiver isn't going to be affected by it. Ports for bass reflex speakers are usually for low end extension, how far depends on the design, but it shouldn't come close to reaching 80hz. If you plug the port, instead of rolling off at 55hz, maybe it rolls off at 65-70hz which is still below your crossover of 80hz. So if reflection from the port seems to be creating a problem, plug the port. The problem you'll come into contact with is the Allison Effect. Basically it states that if the speaker is 1/2 the wavelength difference from the wall you'll get a boost and if it's 1/4 you'll get cancellation. You won't be able to get the speakers far enough off the wall for it not to matter, but MCACC should help correct that.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

That's great that they still have those on special. Excellent deal. I would definitely choose those over the Minx if they are not too big for the wife smile.gif
+4

That is a great price for those speakers.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

On the discussion page that cel listed, Pependicular has a whole list of links to more professional reviews in the first post, mostly there are for the 10/20 line instead of the 11/21, but yeah, not much by the way of user reviews. There is a large difference between the lines and there is virtually no reason to go with the original model unless you get a super stellar price for them. When reading the reviews, keep in mind that a few of them never gave them enough time to break in which is critical for these speakers.

You don't have to worry about shielding, you aren't running a CRT and the receiver isn't going to be affected by it. Ports for bass reflex speakers are usually for low end extension, how far depends on the design, but it shouldn't come close to reaching 80hz. If you plug the port, instead of rolling off at 55hz, maybe it rolls off at 65-70hz which is still below your crossover of 80hz. So if reflection from the port seems to be creating a problem, plug the port. The problem you'll come into contact with is the Allison Effect. Basically it states that if the speaker is 1/2 the wavelength difference from the wall you'll get a boost and if it's 1/4 you'll get cancellation. You won't be able to get the speakers far enough off the wall for it not to matter, but MCACC should help correct that.

Good to know about the shielding ien2.

Thanks for explaining that MCACC from the receiver would try to take care of any negative effects of the rear ported center being too close to the wall.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That smaller size will definitely make the wife happy.

5 Superzero's for $300 would leave you $200-$300 for a subwoofer which puts you in Bic F12, Bic PL200 or Klipsch RW-12d territory.

Where are you located again? You should put it in your profile.
Shielding doesn't matter for receivers or flat panel tv's. It affects the older CRT TV's and monitors. Since you have a flat panel TV there is no issue.

Thanks for recommending the Superzeo speakers afrogt. I am in Northern Virginia. I updated my profile with that info.

With others on this thread backing you up on that, I would say it is a no brainer for me.

The Klipsch RW-12d is a little too expensive for me at ~$440, so I think I'll pick between the other two you wrote.

Since my wife was ok with booksehlves, I want to still get book shelves for LCR. I just measured the mantle and bad news is that, while the Pioneer C22 is 18-1/8” W x 7-1/8” H x 8-7/16” D, my mantle is only 8 inches deep. I am also worried about the weight being 13 lbs 7 oz. Now the Pioneers are out of the question since the C22 is too big (and probably too heavy too) to fit on the mantle. I looked at rear pictures of the C22 and there is no mount hole or anything. So they will be a pain to mount anywhere.

I am now leaning towards getting the Superzeros for the surrounds if not for all five speakers.

I am back to picking an LCR set and sub woofer.

My budget is $500 ~ $600

Here is what I am gravitating towards

1. Surrounds - SuperZero 2.0 for $60 each = $120

2. Sub - Which of these subs would you go for ?
a) Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" - $129.99
or
b) BIC F12 - $199
or
c) Polk PSW505 - $229
or
d) Bic PL200 - $328

3. LCR - I will have up to $350 depending on which sub I choose above.

Dumb question. I see the SuperZeros are 9" tall. Are they still considered satellites or are they book shelves? I want to get good book shelves for the LCR after reading post after post by you and other knowledgeable members on this forum about how the sound is limited due to the limited size of satellites. Would you still recommend I go with the SuperZero 2.0 for the LCR or something bigger better sounding since I got approval from my wife ? The center would have to fit on an 8 inch deep sized mantle and hopefully not big and heavy. And hopefully front ported, but its not a deal killer if its not.

Is there a bigger better sounding center NHT speaker I can use that goes along with the SuperZeros ?

I might end up just getting the 5 SuperZeros at the end like you recommended but am looking for options before I make up my mind.

Thanks again.

Wally
post #16 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there a bigger better sounding center NHT speaker I can use that goes along with the SuperZeros ?

yeah, but not in your price range.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Center-Channel-Speakers
Quote:
The Klipsch RW-12d is a little too expensive for me at ~$440, so I think I'll pick between the other two you wrote.

Newegg.com puts the RW-12d on sale for $299 frequently. They might temporarily be out of stock. Keep checking back it'll be on sale again. Or sign up for their emails which is even a better idea.

The Bic PL200 can be had for about $270, just make an offer.
http://home-subwoofers-review.toptenreviews.com/bic-acoustech-review.html
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=526&crid=291&cat_name=Search
Wally_br likes this.

Afro GT
post #17 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I run 5 SZs but my room is much smaller. My AVR is much lower powered also. 50 watts/channel.

At a listening position of 9-10ft I can hit peaks in the upper 90db range.

The SZ are wonderful little speakers in all regards except for bass. I have mine crossed over at 100hz. They sound great.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #18 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Afrogt.

I'll look for sales and make an offer on the sub once I decide to bite.

You're right the other absolute center speakers are expensive and heavy too smile.gif

Are there other brands of speakers you would recommend for LCRs for the $300-350 I have to spend ?

Thanks.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't understand the too heavy thing. What kind of mantel wont hold 17- 20 lbs?

You've got so many constraints with the depth and weight of the center speaker that its difficult to help you. Might as well stick with 5 Super Zero 2.0 speakers.

Afro GT
post #20 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked: 10
Just my .02, I think I spent about that much on my speakers. I have a similar receiver (SC-1222), and I have POLK Audio for the fronts, center , sub and some JBL's for surrounds. I am very happy with setup, I always go for bang for the buck. I bought the Polk's from Newegg when they were on sale. It seems like every other week they are on sale. I have the CS-1 center channel, the Monitor 40's for L&R and the PSW-505 for the sub.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130
the Monitors and center aren't available anymore but I think these are the new versions (15C center & 45B for bookshelfs)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290269
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290273
It gets so loud and so clear. I have the fronts Bi-amped. Although the center channel might be too big for that mantle.....Music and movies are incredible.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't understand the too heavy thing. What kind of mantel wont hold 17- 20 lbs?

You've got so many constraints with the depth and weight of the center speaker that its difficult to help you. Might as well stick with 5 Super Zero 2.0 speakers.

To be honest, I don't want to face the wrath of my wife if the mantel breaks smile.gif Otherwise I would be fine with putting the Pioneer C22 center channel on it and dealing with fixing it.
post #22 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I also doubt that the mantel would break from the Pioneer. I've seen plenty of people here report putting their center channel on a mantel. No one has come back and said it broke it. smile.gif

Besides, your mantel has support from the rest of the frame around the fireplace. Got a contractor friend? Call and ask them what they think.
Wally_br likes this.

post #23 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I also doubt that the mantel would break from the Pioneer. I've seen plenty of people here report putting their center channel on a mantel. No one has come back and said it broke it. smile.gif

Besides, your mantel has support from the rest of the frame around the fireplace. Got a contractor friend? Call and ask them what they think.

Thanks for the vote of confidence cel4145.

Alright, I have decided to get the Pioneers BS22 + C22 as the LCR. I have heard from others too that the mantel should be able to take the weight. I know what I'll be doing this weekend biggrin.gif

I am waiting now for the Klipsch RW-12d to be back on sale at Newegg. If I don't see it there any time soon, then I'll make an offer on the Bic PL200 at sounddistributors like Afrogt recommended.

Will the SuperZero 2.0 be a good fit as surrounds along with the Pioneers as LCRs ? They are still on sale at $60 each. I talked to the sales guy who said I can do a 30 day at home demo and return them with no cost to me if I don't like 'em.

Thanks again
post #24 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Will the SuperZero 2.0 be a good fit as surrounds along with the Pioneers as LCRs ? They are still on sale at $60 each. I talked to the sales guy who said I can do a 30 day at home demo and return them with no cost to me if I don't like 'em.

Well with a free in home trial you're about to find out your answer. smile.gif

Afro GT
post #25 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For your budget and size constraints, those SuperZeroes are an excellent value. I'm sure they will sound quite nice with your Pioneers smile.gif

post #26 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't have any luck with the RW-12d, you might also consider the NXG NX-BAS-500. AVS member JimWilson, who started and overseas the AVS budget subwoofer discussion thread and the budget subwoofer list, reviewed it and really liked it. Sound and Vision also reviewed it and like it, and the measurements look very good for a subwoofer at this price.
Wally_br likes this.

post #27 of 35 Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Liked: 10
I honestly don't think you would want to have something as big as the Pioneers hanging off the walls for rears for this type of room and placement
post #28 of 35 Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well with a free in home trial you're about to find out your answer. smile.gif

I ordered five speakers and two wall mounts. I hope to return three of these speakers when I combine them with the Pioneers for LCR.
post #29 of 35 Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwvq View Post

I honestly don't think you would want to have something as big as the Pioneers hanging off the walls for rears for this type of room and placement

I was not planning on getting the Pioneers for the surrounds. They are big like you said. Hoping to use the SuperZeros as surrounds.
post #30 of 35 Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you don't have any luck with the RW-12d, you might also consider the NXG NX-BAS-500. AVS member JimWilson, who started and overseas the AVS budget subwoofer discussion thread and the budget subwoofer list, reviewed it and really liked it. Sound and Vision also reviewed it and like it, and the measurements look very good for a subwoofer at this price.

Thanks for suggesting this sub cel4145. I'll start reading on it.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page