Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hi all,

I have a set of Klipsch KPT-100 to use as rear surrounds in a room that is not ideal. The rear wall has a door where I would ideally put one of the speakers.

Here's my first option, with speakers close together (the cardboard cutouts show speaker locations on the wall).

• Speakers are likely spaced too close from each other and are not symmetric with the center.
  • The sweet spot isn't so badly located but the second row seating would have a speaker directly behind a seat, off to the center.

Here's my second. Here, the KPT-100 would be mounted on wedges to angle them inward toward the sweet spot of the first row.
  • The speakers are 11 feet part.
  • On the plus side, they are completely out of the walk way.
  • The second row would get a wide dispersion, but nobody would be too close to a speaker.

The last option would be to place the KPT-100 sideways, using their slanted shape to partially angle the sound toward the seats. I would not build a wedge in this case. The speaker on the left would be mounted flush to the wall,and would intrude a bit into the door molding. Doesn't bother me. The right speaker would have to be mounted about 3/4" off the wall using a cabinet mounting wedge since I don't have access to the wall behind it (concrete). I suppose I could use a similar spacer on the left for symmetry (and let the speaker float over the door molding).

Here's what the left side (looking to the back) would look like with the side surround fairly close.

...and the left side. Notice that the surround speaker on this side is farther away. The room layout is symmetrical on the front but the back wall is shorter so I have less space on the left side (and thus the need for the inset surround speaker).

I am leaning towards the last option, but am open to ideas and discussion.
Thanks!

Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
# 1 fair & balanced across the room

#2 but spaced them wider( the one to the other corner ) & move the DVD rack to somewhere else speakers take the best spot > shelves lower order on the totem pole

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

# 1 fair & balanced

#2 but spaced them wider( the one to the other corner ) & move the DVD rack to somewhere else speakers take the best spot > shelves lower order on the totem pole
Thanks for the input, but... #1 isn't balanced because the speakers are not centered (the projector is on center).
#2 as shown is centered on the projector and seats.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I the three options, I like option 3 of your scenarios best, especially since they will be aimed in toward the center of your seating. Always thought if I ever used those speakers for surrounds (and did not have a perfectly symmetrical rear wall--which I don't) that I would do something similar, to push the sounds to the center.

You have a tough choice to make.

It is all about compromises for most of us, isn't it?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I would go with number two and toe them in. Rather than mount flat on the wall, I would look into a ceiling mount so that the speaker could be angled in. Something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-8598

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

# 1 fair & balanced across the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Thanks for the input, but... #1 isn't balanced because the speakers are not centered (the projector is on center).
#2 as shown is centered on the projector and seats.
i didn't notice the center was the pj
with that in mind then 3

Mike

post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Really you should try ALL of them & then decide

Mike

post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 665
I would lean towards something like Option #2. You don't want the rears to be too close to the sides.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Suggested on the Klipsch forum:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

The above link suggests:
  • THX specs rear speakers close together, so a modified #1 with the right speaker closer to the projector, in symmetry with the other rear.
  • Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio specs a 60 degrees spread between rear speakers, which is just about what #2 or #3 give.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a sketch of the room layout to give you a better idea of the geometry associated with the options.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Further info... The front wall is 20 feet wide. The right side surround is about 7 feet from the back wall (where options #2 and #3 would place the rear right surround).

This link suggests that options #2 or #3 are best:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

post #12 of 15 Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
Assuming that THX geeks have done their homework properly, option #1 with SBL "shoulder to shoulder" to SBR would probably be the best solution. It's simple, symmetrical, a bit unusual (so there's a lot to talk about around a beer) and... you can complain to the pros if it doesn't work as expected! ;-)

http://www.thx.com/files/2009/12/7-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg
post #13 of 15 Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I find it weird that THX says one thing and Dolby says another. I may try #3 for a while and see how that goes.

From the same site as your link (Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio™ Set Up):

(I would have said welcome to the forum but I see that you've been lurking for two years!)

post #14 of 15 Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM

Liked: 32
My living room is roughly about the same length. This is how I dealt with my rears, where our couch is. I have them at about 57" for the tweeter height, 8" on center from the edge of the wall on the left of the speaker, to the center of the speaker, on those RB-41 II's. Because of the wall at the Dining room/Living Room, could not go with the RS-42 II's, so went with the RB 41's. The sound footprint actually stays within the living room area, and does not spill out into the dining, so it stays tight and does pack the sound punch that I wanted, when I designed my layout.

As for the THX & Dolby setup guides, they are just that, not to be taken as the bible. You have to just do trial and error, to find the best positioning for how your room is setup, along with where your seating is in line with the rears. You really do not want them so high, that you have to tilt them so far downwards, that it defeats the purpose. But then again, you do not want them too low, where you have to tilt them up, or they are where they can be easily damaged by people leaning against the wall at those points.

Always easier to start with a clean room, put in the furniture where the seating area will be, then bring in the equipment and speakers, then any extras like dvd racks, but not where it overloads the room, that it muddles up the sound.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, option #3 it was... Watching GI Joe tonight so I'll let you know how it goes. So far I have only switched from 5.1 to 7.1 on one scene of the latest Batman and liked what I heard.

I mounted them pretty flush, without using the bracket provided.

Next on my list:
  • Patch hole left by previous center speaker.
  • order in-wall wire and hide those new wires.
  • hang suspended ceiling (painted brown; same color as moldings.
  • build a mini stage for back row before new furniture arrives

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page