Funny room and speaker suggestions. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Plan!

I want room filling sound with great movie performances out of a bookshelf size. I keep seeing that horn-loaded speakers are great for big open rooms.

Here are the speakers that are on the top of my list so far.

Klipsch Ref RB-81 II B (top pick so far)
Sierra-1
Definitive Tech SM65
Monitor Rx2,
Dana 630iLCR

Looking to spend under $800 but I can go up to $900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html

Thoughts?
post #33 of 43 Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html

Thoughts?

Wow those testimonials are really selling me and so is the price! Valtyr do you have these?
post #34 of 43 Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 PM

I do not have them nor have I heard them.

A lot of people I respect very much on this forum like them so I figured you may be interested too cool.gif
post #35 of 43 Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

The audioholics live review of the Def Tech sm65 just about has me sold. I'm going to go give them a listen today at a local store.
post #36 of 43 Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Please share your thoughts, I know nothing about Def Tech but am always looking to learn!
post #37 of 43 Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well I didn't get to hear the sm65. When I called they said that the had them but when I got there they didn't. I did get to hear the DefTech sm-55 and they sounded good not what I was looking for. I also gave the b&w 685 b a listen and they sounded great. The sales guy said that he was not a big fan of DefTech but that he was very impressed by the SM-65 and wished he had them for me to hear.
post #38 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Too bad you couldn't audition the SM65. It could have been ideal if you could bring both SM65 and the Kipsch for comparison. You could maybe bring SM55 and find Klipsch RB 61 II locally for in home audition just to get an idea? I haven’t heard any Def Tec before so I cannot comment on it. But keep in mind that that you have limitation on depth of your future center speaker.

Whatever bookshelf speakers you decide, make sure you can find a decent matching center with depth around 6”. Center should be tonally matched with your L/R so it has to be at least same brand, preferably same model line. Part of the reason I recommended Klipsch was they have Synergy C-20 which has two 5.25” woofers and the depth is 6.25”. Even if they are not the same model line, they have the center fits your requirement. You will have to ask Klipsch owners whether the center is good or not. By the same token, you have to look into whether Def Tec have decent center of which the depth is around 6”. Consult Def Tec owners here in AVS forum. You will get much better response.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that the system is 90% movie/TV. When I changed my speakers from Ascend 340SE to Energy RC series, I noticed that movie performance was tad better with Ascends. But I liked Energy RCs much better for music. Spending more doesn’t always guarantee that you will get what you want. If you narrowed down your choices to a couple of brands, I suggest you again to go to each (Klipsch and Def Tec in your case) owners threads and ask which is better for movies. You will get much in depth response this way.

P.S: I also noticed that you might not need to move your couch upto 8ft. The recommended L/R angle is between 22 and 30 degrees. If the distance between L/R is 9 feet, the LP can be 9fh or a bit further away.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1253344/front-speaker-placement

- Panny 65PS64 Plasma, Denon 3313, Panny BD35 Bluray, HTPC (XBMC), Energy RC-70, RC-LCR, RC-10 & V-mini (FH), 2 x Micro Marty Subwoofer
- Samsung 63" Plasma, Xbox 360, WiiU, Wii, PS2, Pioneer VSX-1018, Energy Micro 5.0 + Polk PSW125
- Onkyo TX-8255, Infinity Primus P163
post #39 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9610172 View Post

Too bad you couldn't audition the SM65. It could have been ideal if you could bring both SM65 and the Kipsch for comparison. You could maybe bring SM55 and find Klipsch RB 61 II locally for in home audition just to get an idea? I haven’t heard any Def Tec before so I cannot comment on it. But keep in mind that that you have limitation on depth of your future center speaker.

Whatever bookshelf speakers you decide, make sure you can find a decent matching center with depth around 6”. Center should be tonally matched with your L/R so it has to be at least same brand, preferably same model line. Part of the reason I recommended Klipsch was they have Synergy C-20 which has two 5.25” woofers and the depth is 6.25”. Even if they are not the same model line, they have the center fits your requirement. You will have to ask Klipsch owners whether the center is good or not. By the same token, you have to look into whether Def Tec have decent center of which the depth is around 6”. Consult Def Tec owners here in AVS forum. You will get much better response.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that the system is 90% movie/TV. When I changed my speakers from Ascend 340SE to Energy RC series, I noticed that movie performance was tad better with Ascends. But I liked Energy RCs much better for music. Spending more doesn’t always guarantee that you will get what you want. If you narrowed down your choices to a couple of brands, I suggest you again to go to each (Klipsch and Def Tec in your case) owners threads and ask which is better for movies. You will get much in depth response this way.

P.S: I also noticed that you might not need to move your couch upto 8ft. The recommended L/R angle is between 22 and 30 degrees. If the distance between L/R is 9 feet, the LP can be 9fh or a bit further away.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1253344/front-speaker-placement

So I did get to hear the RB 61 II the other day too. Both the SM55 and B&W 685 were IMO much better sounding. I still have yet to hear the RB 81- II and the DefTech SM65 and both of those were on the top of my list. Both would give me options to match my CC with at least the same brand. That being said those B&W 685 are the best thing I have got a chance to hear so far but they do not have a CC that will fit my depth. When I asked the sales guy about this he said that its not a big deal that the CC would be another brand but then I keep reading on AVS/f that they should be the same brand.
post #40 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Are-Jay View Post

So I did get to hear the RB 61 II the other day too. Both the SM55 and B&W 685 were IMO much better sounding. I still have yet to hear the RB 81- II and the DefTech SM65 and both of those were on the top of my list. Both would give me options to match my CC with at least the same brand. That being said those B&W 685 are the best thing I have got a chance to hear so far but they do not have a CC that will fit my depth. When I asked the sales guy about this he said that its not a big deal that the CC would be another brand but then I keep reading on AVS/f that they should be the same brand.

If you liked Def Tec and B&W better, I think that’s where you need to focus more. I don’t think RB-81 and SM65 are much different than their smaller brothers.

B&W 685: Sensitivity is low. I’m wondering if your AV receiver has enough (real) power to make them sing. Many of the audio shops I saw ran B&W speakers with dedicated AMP. If you want to go to this route, go to B&W owners forum and get help to find the center. They might be able to suggest you non B&W brand but closely matched center with 6” depth.

Def Tec SM65: One reviewer @Neweggs.com said he got it with 45% off. I don’t know if that’s true. When you are ready to purchase, you might as well ask Def Tec owners.where to find the best deal.

- Panny 65PS64 Plasma, Denon 3313, Panny BD35 Bluray, HTPC (XBMC), Energy RC-70, RC-LCR, RC-10 & V-mini (FH), 2 x Micro Marty Subwoofer
- Samsung 63" Plasma, Xbox 360, WiiU, Wii, PS2, Pioneer VSX-1018, Energy Micro 5.0 + Polk PSW125
- Onkyo TX-8255, Infinity Primus P163
post #41 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I'm going to go for the b&w CM5. It's way more than what I wanted to spend but they sounded the best to me.
post #42 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM

:-/

Well, I hope you enjoy them. Please share your thoughts. I'd love to learn about your experience with them.
post #43 of 43 Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wife just shot down the cm5 so back to the sm65. When I listen to both of them side by side it was very close... and for 1/2 the price it's hard to go wrong. The cm5 are great but she is right it's just too much when I still have a CC to buy too. The good news is the mythos 9 was my clear choice for a CC after hearing a few.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Klipsch Rb 81 Ii Reference Series Two Way Bookshelf Speaker Cherry Each , Definitive Technology Sm65 Bookshelf Speaker , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page