Home Theater speaker refresh - budget $5,000-$7,000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently moved into a new home and am looking to refresh my home theater 5.1 speakers. I have owned Martin Logan speakers almost exclusively for the last 15 years. However I had my front LR speakers (ML reQuests) go out on me and then most recently my Velodyne HGS-18 sub died. I have been using some spare ML Script speakers for my fronts but they were a noticeable downgrade and are designed to be used as surrounds.

Long story short, I decided not to go the repair route with my ML's or my old sub. These speakers are around 13 yrs old and I just feel like buying new. Plus my new room is very space limited and is only 1,400 cubic feet (14x11x9). This system will only be used for home theater movie viewing and I watch all types of movies but prefer action heavy LFE tracks. Overall I want the new system to feel like an upgrade and not like a compromise or downgrade if possible with this budget.

I can't really speak for many home theater speaker setups outside of my own ML setup which is why I wanted to get help here in putting together a really nice and accurate system. I have no preference over floor-standing versus bookshelf but don't think I will need towers due to the sub. Also don't care what they look like either as long as they sound great.

• Room size: 1,400 CU FT (LxWxH)14'x11'x9'
  • Content: 100% Movies only, no music
  • Budget: $5,000-$7,000 for the 6 speakers

Room today:

NEW SUB (purchased 8/15)

Power Sound Audio XS30 http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30

EXISTING AVR:
Denon 3808 CI http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-3808CILit_0325.pdf
Power output: 130wpc x 7 (8 ohm) rated

SPEAKERS TO BE REPLACED:
Martin Logan Scripts (fronts) http://www.martinlogan.com/products/script
Martin Logan Theater (center) http://www.martinlogan.com/products/theater
Polk Audio FXi A4 (surrounds) http://www.polkaudio.com/products/fxia4
Velodyne HGS-18 (dead subwoofer) http://velodyne.com/pdf/hgs/hgs_15-18_manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those speakers. The JTR Noesis line would be worth looking at too. Something that I think could potentially fantastic in there is some of the Pi cornerhorns, except they are a bit out of your budget, and also their matching center speaker probably wouldn't fit. Another speaker just outside your budget which I think would be great in there is the JBL LSR6332, they measure very well, so well in fact they are THX pm3 certified, this means they can be used to create THX soundtracks on. Those are $1550 each.

As I said in your other thread, the best sub to replace the HGS is the Funk 18.0. It is slightly smaller in dimensions, but a lot more powerful. Next to that I would get a JTR Captivator S1, which will also fit nicely into the space you have available. If not those, I would go for the Rythmik FV15HP. I think any of those subs will blow away the SB13 and XS30.

As for the surround speakers, I would look at the JBL 8320. The are THX certified, relatively decent sensitivity, easy to mount, 8 ohm, and best of all, they are inexpensive. I think they would be substantially better than your Polk surrounds. Do NOT spend a lot of money on the surround speakers whatever you do. The front stage and subwoofers are a lot more important to getting an overall good sound.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 898
I've heard the KL-650-THX and really do like them, but I prefer my JTR 228HT's and personally think they are worth the extra $400 per speaker that they cost.
If you're sticking with a budget of up to $7000, then I would definitely suggest three 228HT's and either two S8's or Slant 8's as surrounds from JTR too. If you didn't want to spend the extra cash on the JTR speakers I'm sure the Ultra 2's would still make you happy.

If you're going with a sealed sub then the 18.0 that shady talked about is a great sub, but for strictly movies you'd almost be crazy to go with it instead of two XS30's for less money and more output.

Two XS30's is a basically sealed room that's less then 1400cubic/ft with have some pretty amazing output, especially with the amount of room gain they'd pick up. My theater room is about 2100cubic/ft and opens up to about another 800cubic/ft and my dual XS30's still amaze me 8 months later.
post #4 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If you're going with a sealed sub then the 18.0 that shady talked about is a great sub, but for strictly movies you'd almost be crazy to go with it instead of two XS30's for less money and more output.

Two XS30's is a basically sealed room that's less then 1400cubic/ft with have some pretty amazing output, especially with the amount of room gain they'd pick up. My theater room is about 2100cubic/ft and opens up to about another 800cubic/ft and my dual XS30's still amaze me 8 months later.

jbrown - I would love dual subs but I will be hard pressed to make room for them. I have no experience with multiple subs.. would it be possible to describe the benefits for movies? Just wondering if its overkill for my small room.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any of these sub are going to give him more output than he will likely use. The difference is going to be sound quality. As I argued, the XS30 could very well be a step down from an HGS-18. A funk 18.0 will doubtlessly be a step up. I would bet that the Funk TSAD18 driver cost more to manufacture than five or six PSA Power X drivers.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 441
My vote is for the Triad Golds with Silver surrounds. Get a Rythmik FV15HP and you'll be one happy dude!

They have a smoother, more accurate presentation for both music and movies at the expense of reference level output than the JTR 228HT's and Klipsch Ultra2's. Frankly, your ears will break before the Triads in a room that small, but they'll still work wonders in a larger room if you ever upgrade your A/V location.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #7 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Any of these sub are going to give him more output than he will likely use. The difference is going to be sound quality. As I argued, the XS30 could very well be a step down from an HGS-18. A funk 18.0 will doubtlessly be a step up. I would bet that the Funk TSAD18 driver cost more to manufacture than five or six PSA Power X drivers.

Your argument of sound quality would hold more weight if the setup was also for music, but since its strictly movie use there is no way you're going to be able to argue that a car explosion from a XS30 wouldn't sound as good as one heard from a Funk 18.0. Yes the driver costs more I'm not arguing that. But spending over double the money of a XS30 to get 18.0 when the OP's setup is only movies is a total waste of funds IMO.

And the XS30 still sounds good with music, its not like it sounds terrible playing music. One member recently just bought a XS30 and also has a SB13-Ultra and while he said he still prefers the SB13 with his music setup he said the XS30 is much better for movie use.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussboy View Post

jbrown - I would love dual subs but I will be hard pressed to make room for them. I have no experience with multiple subs.. would it be possible to describe the benefits for movies? Just wondering if its overkill for my small room.

Yeah I took a closer look at your front wall, not a lot of room for dual subs up front. If you were going with a single sub I would probably say go with a FV15HP, but I still say get the JTR speakers over the Klipsch Ultra 2's.

There's lots of benifits with multiple subs, some of the big ones and smoother bass and it helps out with nulls and room modes that your room could be creating.
post #9 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

My vote is for the Triad Golds with Silver surrounds. Get a Rythmik FV15HP and you'll be one happy dude!

They have a smoother, more accurate presentation for both music and movies at the expense of reference level output than the JTR 228HT's and Klipsch Ultra2's. Frankly, your ears will break before the Triads in a room that small, but they'll still work wonders in a larger room if you ever upgrade your A/V location.

I see that Triad Golds retail for $2150ea, what kind of discount can someone usually get on them?
post #10 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see that Triad Golds retail for $2150ea, what kind of discount can someone usually get on them?

You might want to contact the AV Science store as they actually sell Triad speakers. The more you get, the better the discount. That's usually how it works. smile.gif

post #11 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might want to contact the AV Science store as they actually sell Triad speakers. The more you get, the better the discount. That's usually how it works. smile.gif

Okay so if the OP buys five speakers, he might get what 40%?
I thought I read in the Triad thread that the street price on the Gold LCR's would be much closer to the price of the JTR212HT's not the 228HT's.

Where did you hear the 228HT's?
post #12 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your argument of sound quality would hold more weight if the setup was also for music, but since its strictly movie use there is no way you're going to be able to argue that a car explosion from a XS30 wouldn't sound as good as one heard from a Funk 18.0. Yes the driver costs more I'm not arguing that. But spending over double the money of a XS30 to get 18.0 when the OP's setup is only movies is a total waste of funds IMO.

And the XS30 still sounds good with music, its not like it sounds terrible playing music. One member recently just bought a XS30 and also has a SB13-Ultra and while he said he still prefers the SB13 with his music setup he said the XS30 is much better for movie use.

I disagree entirely, for the reasons I have explained recently in this post. Film effects are the real task masters of subwoofers. Music is relatively easy to do well.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree entirely, for the reasons I have explained recently in this post. Film effects are the real task masters of subwoofers. Music is relatively easy to do well.

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, and I'm under the impression you still haven't even heard a PSA sub yet.

Well i think the XS30 does an excellent job with movie use, and until you've heard one I don't see why you are always saying they aren't.
post #14 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Part of me wants to recommend you look at Monitor Audio, I'd imagine the Gold series could be competitive in your budget with everything that you're looking at. I'm a big fan of my Silvers but I think with your price tag you'll be able to move up quite easily and get an awful lot of speaker for the money.

Setups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, and I'm under the impression you still haven't even heard a PSA sub yet.

Well i think the XS30 does an excellent job with movie use, and until you've heard one I don't see why you are always saying they aren't.

No we don't have to agree to disagree, we will settle this in a dual at dawn. Choose your weapon!
I am not saying its a bad subwoofer. I am simply saying there are probably better, and I am basing that speculation on all the available public information about them. I do believe it can get loud. I am not disagreeing with that. I don't believe it can track the sound as well as something which doesn't skimp on the driver as badly. Until you record the results in a blind comparison with some other subs, you don't really know what you could be missing. The same goes for me.
post #16 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No we don't have to agree to disagree, we will settle this in a dual at dawn. Choose your weapon!
I am not saying its a bad subwoofer. I am simply saying there are probably better, and I am basing that speculation on all the available public information about them. I do believe it can get loud. I am not disagreeing with that. I don't believe it can track the sound as well as something which doesn't skimp on the driver as badly. Until you record the results in a blind comparison with some other subs, you don't really know what you could be missing. The same goes for me.

Haha.... I choose ninja throwing stars!...lol

Like I said without a dought the Funk has a better driver, but I know for a fact the XS30 does just fine with movies and honestly there isn't a sub on the market under $1200 that I would take over the XS30.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I might be able to squeeze dual subs into this room (front corners) but I would likely need to stack the bookshelf speakers (L/R) on top of the subs.

Is there any downside to doing this? The subs would serve as my speaker stands....
post #18 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might be able to squeeze dual subs into this room (front corners) but I would likely need to stack the bookshelf speakers (L/R) on top of the subs.

Is there any downside to doing this? The subs would serve as my speaker stands....

You can place the speakers on wall mounted platforms at the correct tweeter height (usually around ear level when seated, but if you have two or more rows, you sometimes have to split the difference and test to see what sounds best). The subs can be under that. I don't recommend placing the speakers directly on the subs as there may be unwanted vibrations. All depends if the fronts are monitors or towers.

post #19 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can place the speakers on wall mounted platforms at the correct tweeter height (usually around ear level when seated, but if you have two or more rows, you sometimes have to split the difference and test to see what sounds best). The subs can be under that. I don't recommend placing the speakers directly on the subs as there may be unwanted vibrations. All depends if the fronts are monitors or towers.

I would be placing a bookshelf speaker (something like a Klipsch THX Ultra2) on top of the subs. I only have 1 row of seats (see picture in first OP post).

Just wondering if this would be ok?
post #20 of 40 Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have my left and right 228ht's placed on top of each of my XS30's right now as a temp setup and don't have any issues with the speakers moving around from vibration. One nice thing about a dual opposed sub design is the cabinet doesn't really vibrate.
post #21 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Liked: 10
My vote is for the Triad Golds with Silver surrounds.
post #22 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwvq View Post

My vote is for the Triad Golds with Silver surrounds.

Again, I second that! smile.gif

post #23 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be placing a bookshelf speaker (something like a Klipsch THX Ultra2) on top of the subs. I only have 1 row of seats (see picture in first OP post).

Just wondering if this would be ok?

I'd still put them on isolated platforms. Just in case.

Here's a picture from Sandman's old theater. He mounted his Klipsch THX monitors as to isolate them from his Seaton subs. Too bad all the other pics have been pulled. It was an awesome screening room.

post #24 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, I second that! smile.gif

Wasn't he saying that about your post?...lol smile.gif
post #25 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't he saying that about your post?...lol smile.gif

I'm seconding his seconding of my seconding. Or something like that... er...

post #26 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 80
Quote:

I'm seconding his seconding of my seconding. Or something like that... er...

Lol!

Setups:

post #27 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Picked up a Power Sound Audio XS30 sub today! Many thanks to Tom V. at PSA for the unbelievable customer service and patience with all of my questions!

I am hoping to pull the trigger on the speakers tomorrow.

Currently I am leaning towards the Klipsch THX Ultra2 series. KL-650-THX (lcr) and KS-525-THX (surrounds)
Valtyr likes this.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Picked up a Power Sound Audio XS30 sub today! Many thanks to Tom V. at PSA for the unbelievable customer service and patience with all of my questions!

I am hoping to pull the trigger on the speakers tomorrow.

Currently I am leaning towards the Klipsch THX Ultra2 series. KL-650-THX (lcr) and KS-525-THX (surrounds)

Seems like a great sub.

You should be able to get an awesome deal on those Klipsch since dealer price is 60% off MSRP. biggrin.gif
post #29 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Seems like a great sub.

You should be able to get an awesome deal on those Klipsch since dealer price is 60% off MSRP. biggrin.gif

60% off of MSRP? Holy crap there must be some serious mark up on those then eek.gif
post #30 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1379
Quote:

60% off of MSRP? Holy crap there must be some serious mark up on those then eek.gif
That's about average. It also accounts for the fact that no one in their right mind ever pays MSRP for anything. An actual net margin of 40% is average, and if the street price is 20 to 30% off MSRP then the cost must factor that in.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver , Xs30 , Fv15hp Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page