Canton vs B&W - Purchase Assistance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am somewhat of a "newbie" so my apologies in advance if I haven't provided enough info below or if this has been addressed in another post. Thank you for any assistance/guidance that can be provided.

I am about to upgrade my home theater and am leaning toward the following two options:

Canton Reference 3.2 DC (left and right)
Canton Reference 50.2 (center)
Canton Sub 850 R

or

Bowers and Wilkins 803 Diamond (left and right)
Bowers and Wilkins HTM2 Diamond (center)
Bowers and Wilkins DB1 subwoofer

I have a Parasound Halo A 31 three channel power amplifier for the left, right, and center.

My receiver is the Denon 4520CI.

My budget is enough for either option but I have not found anywhere in the DFW metroplex where I can listen to the Canton speakers although I have read great reviews on them. I have listened to the B&Ws and they sound great. This is a rather large investment that I will have for at least five years or more and I am somewhat hesitant about the Cantons because I cannot listen to them. Of course my wife wants them in white so they will be custom built and drop shipped to my home and don't think I will have an option of returning them if I am not satisfied for some reason.

These will be in our game room and will be used mostly for movies and TV.

They will go into an existing 7.1 system with the following:

Klipsch KL-7800-THX In-Wall Speaker
Klipsch KS-7800-THX In-Wall Speaker

I don't recall which of the Klipsch speakers are side left & right and rear left & right.

I would appreciate any input on this and recommendations.

Thanks,
-Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My studies on Canton lead me to believe German manufactures should have stopped at vehicles.

There are certainly several other compelling options but if these were your only two in contention, I'd go with B&W.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausflouride7 View Post

I would appreciate any input on this and recommendations.
Look at bookshelf mains. Towers are as large and expensive as they are for low frequency response, and when you're running subs you don't need low frequency response from the mains. Note that I said 'subs' in the plural. You should have at least two, for room mode smoothing.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will be able to provide a better advice tomorrow. I was in the same boat and finally settle on the B&W 803 diamonds and the HTM2 diamond center channel. I will be using a parasound a21 to power the 803s and a parasound a51 to power the htm2 and surrounds..I plan to upgrade my sub to the DB1 as well... Before purchasing these speakers I tested them with different power amps and processors, ranging from marantz up to Classe.....Compared to the MK they were more transparent, with more and better bass, and a bigger soundstage....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page