speaker questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
velocci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, i'm researching speakers and have a couple of questions:

1. a pair of paradigm speakers says suitable amp power range is 15-150watts. but the maximum input power is 90watts. what does this mean? what's the difference?

2. are the paradigm Mini Monitor and Atom Monitor good speakers?
velocci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post

suitable amp power range is 15-150watts. but the maximum input power is 90watts. what does this mean?
If you have a 150w amp don't turn it all the way up.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
For wattage it is worded that way because if you are going to listen at loud volume levels it is better to have an amp/receiver that is more powerful than what the speakers say they handle. The reason is if the amp/receiver is pushed too hard to achieve the volume level you desire it will start to clip ( distort the sound and the signal) which is actually more damaging to speakers than slightly over powering them for short periods of time. Plus most receivers may say they are rated at 130 watts/channel, but if you look closely at the specs that's with only 2 channels being driven. Most good receivers only put out 70-90 watts per channel with all channels driven.

Yes they are pretty good speakers, but what does that mean? Speakers are so subjective its really all about what you think sounds good and how it sounds in your room.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
velocci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry I don't quite understand this. if the suitable amp power is 15-150 watts, then why is the maximum input only 90? shouldn't the max be 150 since 15-150 is suitable?

as for the way companies rate their receivers, all they say is XXX watts per channel. if they don't say only 2 channels were driven, are we to assume its all of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

For wattage it is worded that way because if you are going to listen at loud volume levels it is better to have an amp/receiver that is more powerful than what the speakers say they handle. The reason is if the amp/receiver is pushed too hard to achieve the volume level you desire it will start to clip ( distort the sound and the signal) which is actually more damaging to speakers than slightly over powering them for short periods of time. Plus most receivers may say they are rated at 130 watts/channel, but if you look closely at the specs that's with only 2 channels being driven. Most good receivers only put out 70-90 watts per channel with all channels driven.

Yes they are pretty good speakers, but what does that mean? Speakers are so subjective its really all about what you think sounds good and how it sounds in your room.
velocci is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,714
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post

sorry I don't quite understand this. if the suitable amp power is 15-150 watts, then why is the maximum input only 90? shouldn't the max be 150 since 15-150 is suitable?

as for the way companies rate their receivers, all they say is XXX watts per channel. if they don't say only 2 channels were driven, are we to assume its all of them?

That's the problem. Neither speaker manufacturers nor receiver manufacturers are very consistent with how they list wattage specs. And they sometimes exaggerate their specs. If you want to get an idea on how wildly different actual performance can be vs. stated receiver specs, read through the measurements pages for some of the receiver reviews listed at hometheater.com and compare them with stated specs (listed on another page of each review): http://www.hometheater.com/category/av-receiver-reviews

You are probably worrying about this a little too much. See those numbers from the speaker manufacturer as very rough specs that you could use to compare against speakers with significantly less or significantly more wattage rating. And then speakers which have lower RMS or continuous power ratings (50 watts to 75 watts) might not be a good choice if you buy an expensive receiver that is rated at 100 or more watts per channel. In other words, use the ratings as rough guides for comparison.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off