Reviews. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know, we all like to give reviews... but please...95 % of them are worthless, moreover, misleading. They can do more harm than good by steering people away from certain options. I just read a review of Ascend speakers here. It really amazes me when people review speakers having low end receivers and el-cheapo Monoprice speakerwire with the cheapest banana plugs...AND without having the speakers properly broken in first. And having all that they proclaim that the speaker was bad. How can this review be possibly objective when no matter what speakers you use in this particular setup , they will all sound bad ? What kind of soundstage can this receiver possibly put out? To review ANY speaker one has to reveal ALL OF IT'S POTENTIAL..and in most cases there are so many bottlenecks that the speakers cannot possibly sound good.
Also, are you aware that speakers demand some time and effort when it comes to positioning, amplifying choices, cables.. Some speakers sound great with one amplifier and totally suck with the other...Oh, I forget.. the receiver was used. It took me almost a year to make my speakers glow...I started from dedicated powerlines and filters, then moved to acoustic treatment of my room, then got 2.5 inch thick granite vibro-isolated slabs ( each weighing close to 100 pounds ) to put the spiked speakers on.. then went through half a dozen amps and preamps before I got the sound I was looking for ( ended up with class A SS monoblocks and a tube preamp), then I started perfecting it with cables. Power cables have a tremendous effect on the equipment as they work as additional filters, so do interconnects and speakercables...they all sound different and a high price is never a guarantee that this or that cable will work well with your equipment. There was a day when I had a whole lot of cables ranging from 200 bucks all the way to 7k... and the one that sounded best in a blind test cost 600. One more thing - every decent cable requires breaking in. During this period the sound may change from good to worse and back... but 100 hours is a safe bet, some cables require more. The first 30 hours is when changes are most noticeable, then they become more subtle. A cable is just as big of a component as everything else. I didn't believe it myself untill was proven otherwise. Of course, all this applies to transparent systems. You can't hook up Audioquest Guibraltar to Onkyo 307 and expect wonders.
So... what this was all about is - only now I finally got my speakers reveal their full potential.. I can easily tell what material is drum plate made of - copper or brass, I can easily tell if the drummer hit the edge or the middle of a snare-drum, i hear the drum membrane vibrate, fingers touching the fleute, Patricia Barber licking her lips...And it's not just the details, it's the depth of the soundstage , the width, the height...It took me a year ,a lot of research and a lot of money. But now I know what they can sound like, now I CAN write a review. So, please, if your setup does not allow to reveal the speakers' potential...don't write a review, as you will do more harm than good.


Out of curiosity a couple of days ago I hooked them up to a top of the line Integra receiver... it sounded OK for HT ( I usually use it for powering center and surrounds, the front channels go to amps )., music in stereo was considerably worse... and this is with almost 2K invested in cables alone.
I am not mentioning my equipment, I don't want to have IT discussed and the subject of the thread forgotten. Let's just say, it's quite adequate.
Subdusted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

I know, we all like to give reviews... but please...95 % of them are worthless, moreover, misleading. They can do more harm than good by steering people away from certain options. I just read a review of Ascend speakers here. It really amazes me when people review speakers having low end receivers and el-cheapo Monoprice speakerwire with the cheapest banana plugs...AND without having the speakers properly broken in first. And having all that they proclaim that the speaker was bad. How can this review be possibly objective when no matter what speakers you use in this particular setup , they will all sound bad ? What kind of soundstage can this receiver possibly put out? To review ANY speaker one has to reveal ALL OF IT'S POTENTIAL..and in most cases there are so many bottlenecks that the speakers cannot possibly sound good.
Also, are you aware that speakers demand some time and effort when it comes to positioning, amplifying choices, cables.. Some speakers sound great with one amplifier and totally suck with the other...Oh, I forget.. the receiver was used. It took me almost a year to make my speakers glow...I started from dedicated powerlines and filters, then moved to acoustic treatment of my room, then got 2.5 inch thick granite vibro-isolated slabs ( each weighing close to 100 pounds ) to put the spiked speakers on.. then went through half a dozen amps and preamps before I got the sound I was looking for ( ended up with class A SS monoblocks and a tube preamp), then I started perfecting it with cables. Power cables have a tremendous effect on the equipment as they work as additional filters, so do interconnects and speakercables...they all sound different and a high price is never a guarantee that this or that cable will work well with your equipment. There was a day when I had a whole lot of cables ranging from 200 bucks all the way to 7k... and the one that sounded best in a blind test cost 600. One more thing - every decent cable requires breaking in. During this period the sound may change from good to worse and back... but 100 hours is a safe bet, some cables require more. The first 30 hours is when changes are most noticeable, then they become more subtle. A cable is just as big of a component as everything else. I didn't believe it myself untill was proven otherwise. Of course, all this applies to transparent systems. You can't hook up Audioquest Guibraltar to Onkyo 307 and expect wonders.
So... what this was all about is - only now I finally got my speakers reveal their full potential.. I can easily tell what material is drum plate made of - copper or brass, I can easily tell if the drummer hit the edge or the middle of a snare-drum, i hear the drum membrane vibrate, fingers touching the fleute, Patricia Barber licking her lips...And it's not just the details, it's the depth of the soundstage , the width, the height...It took me a year ,a lot of research and a lot of money. But now I know what they can sound like, now I CAN write a review. So, please, if your setup does not allow to reveal the speakers' potential...don't write a review, as you will do more harm than good.


Out of curiosity a couple of days ago I hooked them up to a top of the line Integra receiver... it sounded OK for HT ( I usually use it for powering center and surrounds, the front channels go to amps )., music in stereo was considerably worse... and this is with almost 2K invested in cables alone.
I am not mentioning my equipment, I don't want to have IT discussed and the subject of the thread forgotten. Let's just say, it's quite adequate.

Lots of voodoo here....someone better bring a witch-doctor...and soon!

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Lots of voodoo here....someone better bring a witch-doctor...and soon!

Eating wild mushrooms really sharpens an audiophiles senses. smile.gif
beaveav and 67jason like this.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #4 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Eating wild mushrooms really sharpens an audiophiles senses. smile.gif
He should really love this place:
http://www.coconut-audioshop.com/default.asp

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #5 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

He should really love this place:
http://www.coconut-audioshop.com/default.asp

NO WAY is this for real. Not a question. I mean there is NO WAY that this is for real.


(Right?)

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeffer65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My favorite part is when he wrote that cables require breaking in. Never heard that one before.

Jeffer65
Jeffer65 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

My favorite part is when he wrote that cables require breaking in. Never heard that one before.
That's rather well known amongst cable nuts. There are even places that will do it for you, for a hefty price of course. And you have to get them re-done every year! eek.gif
Since you haven't heard of it I guess you've managed to stay away from the Kool Aid trough.
Where cables are concerned there are a number of voices of reason, like this one:
http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html
But the voices that cable nuts are hearing have only one motive, to take their money, as much of it as possible.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #8 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Eating wild mushrooms really sharpens an audiophiles senses. smile.gif

He must have had quite a wild ride. He posted some nonsense on another forum as well.
Let's hope the drugs wear off and he makes a full recovery.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

He must have had quite a wild ride. He posted some nonsense on another forum as well.
Let's hope the drugs wear off and he makes a full recovery.
Maybe he lost his calendar and thought it was April 1. wink.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #10 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Valtyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
PWI

Posting While Intoxicated...

Pretty funny read though. You've got to break in your monoblock slabs too... You know if they're still drying or have too much air under them it totally distorts 1080p quality of vhs players.

A review is just that... A retrospective survey of an event. In this case the event is someones listening experience.
Valtyr is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Don't be haters. I'll be purchasing some of these cables as soon as my check from the Nigerian prince clears.
Valtyr likes this.
Gmash is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Before saying "vodoo, mushrooms " etc. I suggest you start getting out and listening to serious setups of Hi-Fi enthsiasts, people, who can easily tell McIntosh amp from Conrad Jonson's in a blind test. people, who have gone through a lot of speakers, players, DACs ,amps and..cables..while searching for their perfect sound. Get some experience, learn something new..then we'll talk. Looks like everybody who has replied so far - all AVR crowd, who bought their receivers based on specs they read online and now believe that they know everything about audio.
If you look at any decent set up ( Pathos, Mark Levinson etc ) , you will NEVER see this kind of equipment with Monoprice cables. There is a reason for that, as cables are just as important as an amp and can easily either completely ruin the sound or make it beautiful. DIYers, who upgrade speakers, replace not only caps but the wiring as well...why do you think they do that?
BTW, specs alone don't mean much. Carver's tube monoblocks have higher THD than cheap Emotiva amps, but when it comes to quality of the sound there is no comparison. The receiver's manual may state 140 watts per channel but a 100 watt poweramp will blow it out of the water when it comes to controlling speakers.

On one of Chesky's records the tambourine player walks around the microphone. The effect is stunning when you listen to it with the headphones... However, in a stereo setup it is completely lost. A few weeks ago we did an experiment and after a couple of hours achieved a great result - the tambourine player was walking around the listening area.. with only two front speakers used. Seven people participated in this. We have this kind of gatherings 3-4 times a month in a studio , just to learn something new. We run tests, experiment, compare equipment..even CDs ..as even CDs put out in different countries, sound different - it's a matter of marketing, the approach of record companies , cultural traditions ( Germans like clean sound, English want to hear everything in the recording, even the tape noise). there's so much in audio world that I will never stop learning.. I just wonder why you don't want to learn anything. probably, because audio doesn't mean much to you and all you care - watch an occasional Blu-Ray. If that's the case - stick to AVRs and Monoprice.. but then do not talk about things you don't understand.


The equipment used in the experiment :

Speakers : Lowther The Delphic (PM2A+DX3)
Source: 47 Laboratory Flatfish 4713 with external Power Dumpty
DAC: 47 Laboratory Progression Gemini 4705 every channel has it's own power supply Power Dumpty
Amplifier: Mastersound Reference 845
Preamp: Leben RS-100
Amplifier: Leben CS-250
Interconnect: Yter
Digital IC: SlinkyLinks
Speaker cable: Wireworld Atlantis 5
Subdusted is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

Looks like everybody who has replied so far - all AVR crowd, who bought their receivers based on specs they read online and now believe that they know everything about audio.
I do not use an AVR and I did not buy on published specs.

If you look at any decent set up ( Pathos, Mark Levinson etc ) , you will NEVER see this kind of equipment with Monoprice cables. There is a reason for that

Yes there is a reason. Those who pay too much for electronics are also fooled by the the cable scheme. Dealers would not demo a cheap cable and tell the customer that they can sell better cables for a small fortune.




On one of Chesky's records the tambourine player walks around the microphone. The effect is stunning when you listen to it with the headphones... However, in a stereo setup it is completely lost. A few weeks ago we did an experiment and after a couple of hours achieved a great result - the tambourine player was walking around the listening area.. with only two front speakers used. Seven people participated in this. We have this kind of gatherings 3-4 times a month in a studio , just to learn something new. We run tests, experiment, compare equipment..even CDs ..as even CDs put out in different countries, sound different - it's a matter of marketing, the approach of record companies , cultural traditions ( Germans like clean sound, English want to hear everything in the recording, even the tape noise). there's so much in audio world that I will never stop learning.. I just wonder why you don't want to learn anything. probably, because audio doesn't mean much to you and all you care - watch an occasional Blu-Ray. If that's the case - stick to AVRs and Monoprice.. but then do not talk about things you don't understand.

Please explain how you can judge the sound of cables when using headphones.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #14 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

Before saying "vodoo, mushrooms " etc. I suggest you start getting out and listening to serious setups of Hi-Fi enthsiasts, people, who can easily tell McIntosh amp from Conrad Jonson's in a blind test. people, who have gone through a lot of speakers, players, DACs ,amps and..cables..while searching for their perfect sound. Get some experience, learn something new..then we'll talk. Looks like everybody who has replied so far - all AVR crowd, who bought their receivers based on specs they read online and now believe that they know everything about audio.
If you look at any decent set up ( Pathos, Mark Levinson etc ) , you will NEVER see this kind of equipment with Monoprice cables. There is a reason for that, as cables are just as important as an amp and can easily either completely ruin the sound or make it beautiful. DIYers, who upgrade speakers, replace not only caps but the wiring as well...why do you think they do that?
BTW, specs alone don't mean much. Carver's tube monoblocks have higher THD than cheap Emotiva amps, but when it comes to quality of the sound there is no comparison. The receiver's manual may state 140 watts per channel but a 100 watt poweramp will blow it out of the water when it comes to controlling speakers.

On one of Chesky's records the tambourine player walks around the microphone. The effect is stunning when you listen to it with the headphones... However, in a stereo setup it is completely lost. A few weeks ago we did an experiment and after a couple of hours achieved a great result - the tambourine player was walking around the listening area.. with only two front speakers used. Seven people participated in this. We have this kind of gatherings 3-4 times a month in a studio , just to learn something new. We run tests, experiment, compare equipment..even CDs ..as even CDs put out in different countries, sound different - it's a matter of marketing, the approach of record companies , cultural traditions ( Germans like clean sound, English want to hear everything in the recording, even the tape noise). there's so much in audio world that I will never stop learning.. I just wonder why you don't want to learn anything. probably, because audio doesn't mean much to you and all you care - watch an occasional Blu-Ray. If that's the case - stick to AVRs and Monoprice.. but then do not talk about things you don't understand.


The equipment used in the experiment :

Speakers : Lowther The Delphic (PM2A+DX3)
Source: 47 Laboratory Flatfish 4713 with external Power Dumpty
DAC: 47 Laboratory Progression Gemini 4705 every channel has it's own power supply Power Dumpty
Amplifier: Mastersound Reference 845
Preamp: Leben RS-100
Amplifier: Leben CS-250
Interconnect: Yter
Digital IC: SlinkyLinks
Speaker cable: Wireworld Atlantis 5

Voodoo levels just hit the stratosphere! It morphed into mystcism!

Hey whatever works for you pal....just be careful you don't get duped......nevermind its already too late.

Ps...how come this individuals you speak of who can pick out amps in a blind test never won the various monetary contests for doing so over the years?

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I myself have Monoprice 12AWG cables.. but use them only for surrounds in HT. There's no place for them in a stereo set up. Any person, who is serious about audio couldn't care less about what dealers have to say and show. They handpick their cables and it usually takes months until they find the right ones, they don't buy cables or any other equipment based on reviews or what the dealer nearby has in stock. They borrow them from other people in the hobby and listen to them at home with their equipment. When they find the right one, they start shopping around.
If someone cannot tell the difference btw SS McIntosh and a tube CJ...well, that's just because they never heard them. Because they sound totally different, just like, let's say, JBL and Martin Logan speakers ..so, you are laughing at your own ignorance. Keep laughing )).
Another false assumption about dealers and cables.. they don't use expensive cables only because they want to sell them to you.. they do, of course, but they are primarily interested in selling you speakers and other equipment...Because that's what they are demonstrating - the equipment, not the cables.. And for this equipment to sound it's best, they have to use expensive cables.. Never occurred to you?

All I suggest - get out and start listening to various setups, the more, the better. ( better if it's not a store, but a long-term Hi-Fi enthusiast, who knows his equipment, loves it and cares about it ) . Get some knowledge and experience. Because right now what you say is not based on any knowledge ( you have none, you chose to believe something which is not based on personal experience )
Subdusted is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

All I suggest - get out and start listening to various setups, the more, the better. ( better if it's not a store, but a long-term Hi-Fi enthusiast, who knows his equipment, loves it and cares about it ) . Get some knowledge and experience. Because right now what you say is not based on any knowledge ( you have none, you chose to believe something which is not based on personal experience )

I suggest you start doing level-matched and/or blind (to remove placebo effect) comparisons yourself.
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started it long time ago, thank you very much. There is no placebo effect if you trust your ears. As I said before, I heard 600 dollar cables outperform 7 K ones...because the latter ones did not suit other components and the cheaper ones went in perfectly. Ears - the only thing that I trust in audio, prices and brands mean little. A well picked 6K setup may sound infinitely better than a bunch of uber-expensive components chosen at random. However, quality ALWAYS costs money...It doesn't matter what it is - audio equipment, food, clothes,tools, watches, shoes, cars....You can't buy a Corolla and expect it to perform like Ferrari. If you want Ferrari performance - you have to pay for one. Both cars will get you from point A to point B..the difference is in the thrill of the experience. You are calling this a placebo effect, to me it is very real. Both cables Monoprice and Audioquest Guibraltar will transfer signal.. however, the difference in sound will be tremendous. The more transparent the system, the more obvious the difference. Cheap cables are good for low-fi setups playing MP3 files..in fact, good cables will make such setups sound worse as they will bring out all the ugliness of the setup and recordings. . with cheap cables this ugliness will not be as present, along with half of the information of the original recording . If you chose to listen to castrated version - then yes, get an HTIB and you'll be happy. If you want high fidelity - you'll have to cough out a lot more dough for every single component and cables. And it will take a lot of time and effort too.
Subdusted is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

I started it long time ago, thank you very much. There is no placebo effect if you trust your ears. As I said before, I heard 600 dollar cables outperform 7 K ones...because the latter ones did not suit other components and the cheaper ones went in perfectly. Ears - the only thing that I trust in audio, prices and brands mean little. A well picked 6K setup may sound infinitely better than a bunch of uber-expensive components chosen at random. However, quality ALWAYS costs money...It doesn't matter what it is - audio equipment, food, clothes,tools, watches, shoes, cars....You can't buy a Corolla and expect it to perform like Ferrari. If you want Ferrari performance - you have to pay for one. Both cars will get you from point A to point B..the difference is in the thrill of the experience. You are calling this a placebo effect, to me it is very real. Both cables Monoprice and Audioquest Guibraltar will transfer signal.. however, the difference in sound will be tremendous. The more transparent the system, the more obvious the difference. Cheap cables are good for low-fi setups playing MP3 files..in fact, good cables will make such setups sound worse as they will bring out all the ugliness of the setup and recordings. . with cheap cables this ugliness will not be as present, along with half of the information of the original recording . If you chose to listen to castrated version - then yes, get an HTIB and you'll be happy. If you want high fidelity - you'll have to cough out a lot more dough for every single component and cables. And it will take a lot of time and effort too.

Quoted, and bolded, for the fun of it.
Looks like the drugs did permanent damage.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

On one of Chesky's records the tambourine player walks around the microphone. The effect is stunning when you listen to it with the headphones... However, in a stereo setup it is completely lost.
I could tell you why that happens, but where's the fun in that? Enjoy the Kool-Aid. cool.gif
Valtyr likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #20 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That's rather well known amongst cable nuts. There are even places that will do it for you, for a hefty price of course. And you have to get them re-done every year! eek.gif
Since you haven't heard of it I guess you've managed to stay away from the Kool Aid trough.
Where cables are concerned there are a number of voices of reason, like this one:
http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html
But the voices that cable nuts are hearing have only one motive, to take their money, as much of it as possible.

Come on Bill, this is AV science forum with more intelligent than the average person members. No one in their right mind would send them off to get this done would they? I mean don't we all own one of these?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0404/audioharma.htm
duc135 is online now  
post #21 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

I started it long time ago, thank you very much. There is no placebo effect if you trust your ears. As I said before, I heard 600 dollar cables outperform 7 K ones...because the latter ones did not suit other components and the cheaper ones went in perfectly. Ears - the only thing that I trust in audio, prices and brands mean little. A well picked 6K setup may sound infinitely better than a bunch of uber-expensive components chosen at random. However, quality ALWAYS costs money...It doesn't matter what it is - audio equipment, food, clothes,tools, watches, shoes, cars....You can't buy a Corolla and expect it to perform like Ferrari. If you want Ferrari performance - you have to pay for one. Both cars will get you from point A to point B..the difference is in the thrill of the experience. You are calling this a placebo effect, to me it is very real. Both cables Monoprice and Audioquest Guibraltar will transfer signal.. however, the difference in sound will be tremendous. The more transparent the system, the more obvious the difference. Cheap cables are good for low-fi setups playing MP3 files..in fact, good cables will make such setups sound worse as they will bring out all the ugliness of the setup and recordings. . with cheap cables this ugliness will not be as present, along with half of the information of the original recording . If you chose to listen to castrated version - then yes, get an HTIB and you'll be happy. If you want high fidelity - you'll have to cough out a lot more dough for every single component and cables. And it will take a lot of time and effort too.

No doubt the Ferrari will be faster until it breaks down. Yes it is a thrilling experience to watch a Ferrari being towed at 60 mph.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #22 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

people, who have gone through a lot of speakers, players, DACs ,amps and..cables..while searching for their perfect sound.

That's kind of the problem of expecting some magical bit of gear to give you that elusive perfect sound. You could never be satisfied and spend a lifetime buying overhyped and overpriced nonsense.

I wonder what percentage of the people out there that like buying truckloads of different audio gear over their lifetime actually once measured the frequency response of their room to see what they were actually dealing with in the first place and to actually see where improvements could be made..???
kiwi2 is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Member
 
jerrymb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read many speaker reviews. I always hear the same things. Like "I'm hearing things I never heard before." Or "You won't need a subwoofer with these speakers." Next reviewer says "These speakers have no bass at all you'll need a subwoofer." Many other wierd things too.I think that many people aren't even aware that they have certain settings on their recievers activated and that is altering the sound they hear for the worse!
jerrymb is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I want whatever the OP is smoking.eek.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

I want whatever the OP is smoking.eek.gif
And end up looking like this?

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #26 of 36 Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

On one of Chesky's records the tambourine player walks around the microphone. The effect is stunning when you listen to it with the headphones... However, in a stereo setup it is completely lost.
Strange that I get that type of imaging using monoprice wires and an AVR!

psgcdn is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Strange that I get that type of imaging using monoprice wires and an AVR!

Well considering it has more to do with speaker and listening position in the room, distance to the side walls and acoustic symmetry and how much your room smears imaging and so on....

My AVR and cheep speaker wire and interconnects can still image that track very well. There is actually a tambourine player that appears to circle around the front speakers (between you and the front speakers) while someone playing a Bongo drum circles right around the room behind you and behind the front speakers. You should distinctively be able to pick the two people running around your room.
kiwi2 is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Years ago I used regular 12AWG speaker wire and basic interconnects and was laughing at people, who spent piles of money on cables. Just like you are doing now. I thought I was so smart! So much smarter than those cable weirdoes. I was really puzzled and astonished when was proven otherwise...as reluctant as I was, I had to agree with these folks because I always trust my ears. Every audiophile I know went through exactly the same - denial, shock, believing. Since then I always try to find the best sounding cable for as little money as possible.. However, it turns out that the best sounding cables do not come cheap. recently I switched to TTAF XLRs , was able to save a few hundred bucks and not to compromise on sound. I didn't pick them randomly, I picked them after quite a bit of testing. The most important thing to me is the depth of the soundstage, I like having discernible layers. I like feeling the actual studio where the track was recorded . When I listen to grand piano recording, I like being able to tell whether it's deck was open or closed and feel it's length. All this comes with experience, I just started my journey, there's so much more ahead. I am learning new things in audio every week.. Are you?
Subdusted is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Subdusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

I read many speaker reviews. I always hear the same things. Like "I'm hearing things I never heard before." Or "You won't need a subwoofer with these speakers." Next reviewer says "These speakers have no bass at all you'll need a subwoofer." Many other wierd things too.I think that many people aren't even aware that they have certain settings on their recievers activated and that is altering the sound they hear for the worse!

Yes... and these people write reviews. that's exactly what i was talking about in the beginning. Also, how can you possibly hear a recording the way it was made to be heard if you alter the sound with your receiver? Any piece of equipment colors the sound. Some less, some more. Receivers do a lot worse than separates. That is why i do not believe in high fidelity evaluations with receivers used.
Subdusted is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

All this comes with experience, I just started my journey, there's so much more ahead. I am learning new things in audio every week.. Are you?

Could you post a photo of your room? And a graph of the measured frequency response you are getting in it?
kiwi2 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off