New system to another living room, MOST SEE !!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Surly i can't and/or we can't hide the amount of helping and knowing in this incredible forum of AV science.

In these days i decided to take a good system to another living room and this time the system will be a high end system. ( That's what i promise my self from long months ago ).

Initially, i cannot audition any speaker because we don't have any dealer or any store that have this kind of electrons...so i take my experience and the informations from the reading here only.

lets start......my budget is 2800$.

Before start i need to knows you, the Salk SongTower RT with the ribbon tweeter and Pau Ferro rosewood or Macassar Ebony finish was my final speaker to order, but when i come to calculate all my requirements (i don't know if my requirements are standard or custom, the only thing i know is the ribbon is a custom upgrade) in these speaker i feel i will go more than 2800$ ( i say it may costs me up to 3300$ to 3400$/pair and by this budget i can take a good better choice.
From this perspective i began to see these choices, and at the end these list was my final list to decide what i need to go right.

My list is a very near in the price and specs make me very limited and really hard to decide ( Don't be surprised in the point of the price because some of them are used but still in a good statement ) :

1- KEF R900 ( it used, had some scratches, one leg is missing ,((it the dealer showroom demo speaker )) and costs 2600$ ) 7/10.

2- KEF R900 also ( but they very great condition and costs 3250$, it the most new speaker in the list ) 10/10.

3- KEF R700.

4- Salk veracity HT2-TL ( it used and costs 3200$ ) 9/10.

5- Anthony Gallo Classico 4 ( they news and costs 2400$ ) 10/10.

6- Salk SongTowerRT with ribbon & Pau Ferro finish. (Like i said above, from this choice i began to think, if it will cost me more than 2800$, why not to see a better choice if i will add these some 200 or 300$).

Finally, thats why i post this thread here because i am surly i will take the right choice and surly all of you will take me on the right way.

Sorry about lengthy and Thanks for reading.
smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Could anyone help me please.
I am waiting anxiously.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hello friends
post #4 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Salk Veracity hands down.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #5 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I would leave off the Classico, because it's just a poorly-engineered speaker.

And for my tastes the Salks are also non-starters, because the driver setup (large midranges and no directivity control for the tweeter, leading to excess midrange energy in the room) unfortunately is worthy the cabinet quality or the thought put into the crossover. But then again, if you really love the look of the Salk cabinets...often people "hear" what they see, and the Salks have beautiful cabinetry fitted with expensive drivers. So they do very well on that front.

But if you'd prefer a more competent acoustic design, then there's the KEFs remaining from your list. So it comes down to your willingness to accept cosmetic damage for cost savings, or not. That is a value call only you can make, but IMO it depends on how likely something in one's living room is likely to suffer such damage. If your other furniture in the room has some dings and scratches, then it might not be a bad idea.

It it were me, though, and limited to those two brands, I'd buy two KEF R300's, two decent stands (VTI, Wood Technology, Bello, etc.), and two SVS SB12-NSD subs (IMO, currently the best value in subwoofers) for $2800...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I would leave off the Classico, because it's just a poorly-engineered speaker.

And for my tastes the Salks are also non-starters, because the driver setup (large midranges and no directivity control for the tweeter, leading to excess midrange energy in the room) unfortunately is worthy the cabinet quality or the thought put into the crossover. But then again, if you really love the look of the Salk cabinets...often people "hear" what they see, and the Salks have beautiful cabinetry fitted with expensive drivers. So they do very well on that front.

But if you'd prefer a more competent acoustic design, then there's the KEFs remaining from your list. So it comes down to your willingness to accept cosmetic damage for cost savings, or not. That is a value call only you can make, but IMO it depends on how likely something in one's living room is likely to suffer such damage. If your other furniture in the room has some dings and scratches, then it might not be a bad idea.

It it were me, though, and limited to those two brands, I'd buy two KEF R300's, two decent stands (VTI, Wood Technology, Bello, etc.), and two SVS SB12-NSD subs (IMO, currently the best value in subwoofers) for $2800...

Okay, let delete the gallo's from the list and i will add the philharmonic 3....its amazing speakers.......
post #7 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
post #8 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of them. However, now that you've added the Philharmonics, I've heard that they are some incredible speakers. I haven't heard them yet, but others who I highly respect their opinion have, and they say they're incredible. The Salk's ribbon tweeter is super smooth and great for music. The KEF coincidental tweeter gives you great time phase alignment. They are all great speakers. Throw a dart and choose the one it lands on.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of them. However, now that you've added the Philharmonics, I've heard that they are some incredible speakers. I haven't heard them yet, but others who I highly respect their opinion have, and they say they're incredible. The Salk's ribbon tweeter is super smooth and great for music. The KEF coincidental tweeter gives you great time phase alignment. They are all great speakers. Throw a dart and choose the one it lands on.

If you in my situation, where you go!!!
What you buy ???
post #10 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

!!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZozoA320 View Post

Okay, let delete the gallo's from the list and i will add the philharmonic 3....its amazing speakers.......

I've not heard the Phil 3's. However, on paper they have all the ingredients to create a pleasing, tonally neutral, spacious sound for a seated listener: smooth and flat FR, wide horizontal polars. You probably wouldn't want them too close to the sidewalls, or with anything big between them (an LCD TV is probably fine; media rack, not so much). That's one speaker I would like to hear.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #12 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I've not heard the Phil 3's. However, on paper they have all the ingredients to create a pleasing, tonally neutral, spacious sound for a seated listener: smooth and flat FR, wide horizontal polars. You probably wouldn't want them too close to the sidewalls, or with anything big between them (an LCD TV is probably fine; media rack, not so much). That's one speaker I would like to hear.

I really feel more comfort with Philharmonic 3.

But i don't know why there is many friends here don't need to help us in this thread.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

?????????
post #14 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this system going to be for music, movies or both?

post #15 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is this system going to be for music, movies or both?

Both
post #16 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Then the KEF's have the best sensitvity and they will be the best for movies as far as dynamics go. The Salks or the Phil's would be the best for music. That ribbon tweeter is just magical for music, however they can have difficulty getting loud enough for reference level listening with movies before the start to distort.

If you don't listen to your movies very loud, then the Phil's would be my number 1 choice.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then the KEF's have the best sensitvity and they will be the best for movies as far as dynamics go. The Salks or the Phil's would be the best for music. That ribbon tweeter is just magical for music, however they can have difficulty getting loud enough for reference level listening with movies before the start to distort.

If you don't listen to your movies very loud, then the Phil's would be my number 1 choice.

In fact Philharmonic 3 impressed me.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page