Adding surround sound to the garage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm putting a TV in my garage and already have a Sony STR-DH520 receiver out there. I have a set of Polk bookshelf speakers now, but figure I might as well add in a few more speakers for surround sound. It's basically so I can watch football/baseball/racing/movies via DirecTV or Netflix/Amazon while I work in the garage or listen to Pandora. It's just a little 2 car garage, so nothing too big. I'm probably way overthinking this, but I just want to make sure whatever I do, that it will work.

I have a set of indoor/outdoor speakers I can use as surrounds. They are just sitting in their box now. I'd find a center channel and have a basic surround systems.

I could hit up Parts Express and grab some of their Dayton speakers and for just over $200, have a full 5.1 system, less if I take out the subwoofer and rely on the 6.5" main speakers.

I could grab a 5.1 set of small speakers, but don't know how well they work in a bigger area like a garage.

I could add a sound bar and call it done, but I honestly don't know if it would work with my receiver.

I'm not an audiophile and am looking to do this as cheap as possible. $250 would be my upper limit for all of the speakers. Also, is a subwoofer really needed for the viewing options I listed above? I'd have to mount it on a shelf up off the floor, so I don't know what vibrations would occur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Just get the matching center for your Polk speakers and then use your outdoor speakers for surrounds. That would be the cheapest way to go.

What Polk speakers do you have?

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

The bookshelf speakers are Polk R15's that I bought from Outpost.com/Fry's back in 2005.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I did a google search with my question after posting here (me no think gud sometimes) and the CSR gets mentioned. I just need to find a cherry one to match my R15's. Also, would I see any benefit to a subwoofer with what I plan on watching?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page