Please Help Me Choose the Best Definitive Tech Center Channel Speakers....Or Soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Definitive Technology Speaker Owners out there with experience listening to their various center channel speakers? I would appreciate your opinion to help this newby make the best buying decision.

I presently have a pair of two year old Pro Monitor 1000 speakers on either side of my 42" flat screen TV, sitting on my fireplace mantle. The mantle is centered on the long side of my 22'x14' family room. Wife and I do all our TV/Movie watching from a six foot sofa, which is also centered on the long side of the room, directly across from the TV. Our mantle is only 8" wide.

Dialog with news on cable stations is excellent, and so is listening to only music. But with newer movies with upgraded sound formats, dialog often sounds "muffled" and unintelligible. I use a Marantz slimline 5.1 receiver, Model 1403 , and leave it set it to "stereo" all times. It is rated at "only" 50 watts per channel, but I am told Marantz wattage ratings are super conservative compared with other receiver brands. I have little room for a subwoofer, and don't care about surround sound or booming bass, I just want crystal clear dialog....so a 2.0 or 3.0 speaker setup should be adequate for our needs. I am far from an Audiophile.

Questions:
1. I want to stick with the Definitive Tech brand. Will adding Definitive's Mythos 7 center channel speaker, or a Procenter 1000 or a Procenter 2000 improve dialog? Some allege that with my present "phantom center" arrangement, and present listening position, a center channel speaker will not help for dialog and may be worse. They say the center speaker helps only if we have listeners viewing the TV from way off center, which is not our situation. True?

2. If dialog will indeed improve, please give your opinion and rank for me the relative degree of improved dialog with the Mythos 7, Procenter 1000 and Procenter 2000. I'm not worried about cost. The Mythos 7 dimensions work best of all for wife appeal, followed by the Procenter 1000 and lastly with the Procenter 2000. The latter would be a tough sell at home, but I'll do battle if the consensus is that the Procenter 2000 will be a marked improvement over the other two.

3. Any reason why the older technology Mythos cannot be mixed with my newer technology Pro Monitors? If I choose the Mythos, will it aesthetically blend with my Pro Monitor left and rights?

4. I understand a subwoofer would help dialog, by keeping bass out of the center channel speaker, so it does not garble the dialog. True? If so, would it be a marked or only a modest dialog improvement over just buying a new center speaker only?

5 Will upgrading to a more powerful receiver improve dialog markedly or only modestly, over just the new center channel speaker alone? My Marantz is rated for "only" 50 watts per channel, but Best Buy tells me Marantz ratings are super conservative and my 1403 slimline will easily drive my system, assuming I just want normal listening. True?

6. If a center channel speaker will not buy me much in the way of good dialog, some say a high powered (and expensive) stereo amplifier is the only way to get good dialog. I don't care about surround sound nor do I use the receiver as a radio. But I'm willing to spend the extra $ for a good amplifier, as I only want to go through this exercise once.

7. If a new stereo amplifier will help greatly, any make and model recommendations?

8. We visited Best Buy the other day and the wife loves the look of the self powered SONOS PLAYBAR Soundbar, for $700. It would simplify the mantle aesthetics and clutter, simplify the sound control, and keep peace in the family. If we took this route, I would sell the Marantz and my Deftech speakers on EBay, write off the loss and move on. The question is, would the Sonos Soundbar (or any other brand soundbar you can recommend) sound equally as good for dialog as what we have now...or worse? I'll not compromise on dialog intelligibility.

9. Can you recommend a link to a good article that addresses some or most of these sound/dialog questions?

Many thanks,
Bill Tiernan

Disclaimer: This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. It is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or telephone and destroy all copies of the original message.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 12
i recommend go for pro center 2000, it will create timbre match sound. By the way i also use marantz nr 1402 + pro center 1000. Have you already set up audessy in your receiver?

Subwoofer will improve sound quality, its create fuller sound. If you don't have space go for 8" like pro sub 800

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Zibanez,
Would you rule out any brand of Soundbar completely, if you were me? Having had the Pro Center 1000, I gather you believe the ProCenter 2000 is hands down better? I'm asking because the 2000 is quite a bit bigger, so the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is low with the 2000. I also gather you believe your Marantz receiver is adequate to the task?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
There are plenty of people around here more knowledgeable than I, but having the PM1000s sitting on the mantle puts them about a foot too high and that could be affecting the performance of the phantom center. Do you have anything that you could use temporarily as stands for testing that would put them at seated ear height to see if you hear a difference with dialog? You also didn't mention how far back the sofa is from the speakers. Maybe too far?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a soundbar. Your PM1000s plus a center will outperform most soundbars.

The PC1000 is a good center. True, the PC2000 is the preferred match for the PM1000 monitor, but the PC1000 is no slouch. I have PM1000 for my front mains and upgraded earlier this year from a PC1000 to a PC2000. There is a difference, but it is not dramatic. The 2000 plays louder and somewhat "fuller".

If you get a center and put it on the mantle, find someway to angle it down toward the listenting position. Also, adding a sub, even a small one would, IMO, improve things.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTiernan View Post

Thanks Zibanez,
Would you rule out any brand of Soundbar completely, if you were me? Having had the Pro Center 1000, I gather you believe the ProCenter 2000 is hands down better? I'm asking because the 2000 is quite a bit bigger, so the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is low with the 2000. I also gather you believe your Marantz receiver is adequate to the task?

Yes, i'll go with center speaker.
I recommend pc2000 cuz it has same size driver with your pm1000. But maybe you could try pc1000 first.
If you're looking for mythos , pick mythos ten. (same size drivers with pm1000)

The pro cinema series has high sensitivity, 91db. Any AVR will able to drive it easily

links that maybe useful
http://www.avsforum.com/t/625807/definitive-owners-thread/29670

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page