Newb Question.. Sorry. Asking for 5.1 speaker advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys..

One of my first post obviously. This site is huge and I am bit over whelmed by all the info floating around here.

I am not an audiophile by any means but I do want quality sound. I also do not want to spend half the price of a decent automobile on my home theater set-up at the same time. smile.gif

What I am looking for is recommendations(both in where to search, or product you you like and would recomend) for a home theater 5.1 speaker system in my living room.

After a bit of research I settled on the Denon 1912 receiver. Mainly due to the streaming capabilities and the fact that it was about $75 cheaper than the Yamaha 475 I was looking at(I hope I mad ea decent choice). I also enjoyed the way the Denon looked in comparison slightly better to the 475.

I am now looking for a 5.1 setup I can be happy with. I know this 1912 is a 7.1 receiver, and I may visit that after I purchase a house a bit later on in the year. But but right now 5.1 will fit my needs, budget and room fine I believe. This will be for 75% TV 20% movies, and 5% Music.

My room is about 15x20'. Hard woods throughout. I do have a dining room attached that will add another 100ft^2 as well as another sitting room with tile that is another 100ft2 at least. I am not 100% sure how much this will effect the acoustics, but you all seem so knowledgeable about this stuff that I think I would do better having you know about the flooring and additional rooms than not.

So, I have a 60" Samsung that this will be based off of and the Denon receiver. I am open to all options at this point for the speakers but Ideally would very much like to keep this under a $1000 I think at the moment. If that is not doable for a half way decent 5.1 setup in this size room I understand, and will just start with the fronts and Sub for now(Or whatever you all suggest). But if anyone has any delightful ideal setups that could work for me I am open.

Also, I am not asking you to tell me what to get if you don't want to. I hate as much as you all do newbs coming on forums and asking the same questions all the time. I am willing to search, I just don't even know where to start on this forum. But it seems this forums is the Rule when it comes to AVS and figured I would throw this out there.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A couple of brands that I've seen recommended on here a lot is HSU and Ascend Acoustics.

hsuresearch.com

ascendacoustics.com

I just ordered a set from Ascend but I know people are very happy with HSU.

There are many other brands at that price point so I'm sure someone will recommend something else. The big problem is going to be subs for movies. That is a very large space that a sub has to fill. I have the same problem. Subs are an area that you can get far more for your money if you DIY them. A lot of people aren't up for it but it's something to consider.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check those out.

I didn't really think the room was outrageously large by any means. Your concern, concerns me. haha!

I am not looking to blow out the neighbors or anything so the system doesn't have to be crazy. Just want some good clean sound to watch some movies with from time to time.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Kind regards,
post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM

The room size doesn't matter much to the speakers but it does to subs. The problem you're going to have with all that hard flooring is that it causes echoes. Again, I have the same problem. A rug, fabric couches, and acoustic treatment have helped but my room needs more.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ya.. I figured as much. A rug is already in the works.

One more question too. I have been looking at the HSU speaker systems and I am pretty impressed with their reviews!

I guess my question is, with the in home price after shipping, of $1500 for their Hybrid 2, 5.1 system, I have seen a lot of systems out there for half that price or less that a lot of folks have talked great things about too. These systems are mainly HTIB systems from company's such as Energy, Pioneer, or even this Monoprice 9774, (it seems they have now changed the model code and slight design change) company which just seems too good to be true?

I am sure that this HSU system will play better and have more head room, as well as allow for future upgrades or integration into a different home theater system. But is this system twice (or more) as good as some of the other costing in some cases 25% of the cost?

I am not cheap, but I am a bang for buck kinda guy.

Thanks again for reading/commenting.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence1 View Post

Ya.. I figured as much. A rug is already in the works.

One more question too. I have been looking at the HSU speaker systems and I am pretty impressed with their reviews!

I guess my question is, with the in home price after shipping, of $1500 for their Hybrid 2, 5.1 system, I have seen a lot of systems out there for half that price or less that a lot of folks have talked great things about too. These systems are mainly HTIB systems from company's such as Energy, Pioneer, or even this Monoprice 9774, (it seems they have now changed the model code and slight design change) company which just seems too good to be true?

I am sure that this HSU system will play better and have more head room, as well as allow for future upgrades or integration into a different home theater system. But is this system twice (or more) as good as some of the other costing in some cases 25% of the cost?

I am not cheap, but I am a bang for buck kinda guy.

Thanks again for reading/commenting.

There really would be no comparison between the quality you would get from the HSU system and something like the HTIB systems.

When we went from an HTIB to our "real system" my wife and I both commented it sound 1000% better.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 AM

Liked: 11
My $.02 would be the following.

Avoid any and all HTIB setups whenever possible. A good 2.1 "real" audio setup is going to be better than a 5.1 HTIB in terms of sound quality.

For speakers - if you live by a Frys electronics than I can recommend the Infinity speakers as I use them myself for my PC. I enjoy the quality of sound that the P163 outputs. I mention Frys as they usually run sales on these speakers.

If you have to get something online - I would highly recommend auditioning speakers locally if possible (Best buy usually has Polk speakers and Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers at the very least), and if you decide to get something from an Internet Direct company, ensure they have a trial period. I've read good things about Ascend Acoustics, HSU Research, SVS, & The Audio Insider ARX speakers for the ID companies.

Remember there is a cutoff somewhere on $$$ spent and the amount of audio quality you can achieve. I doubt you'll come across it but I have to again say listen for yourself to as many speakers as you can and get the ones that sound best to you. Home auditions are best because the acoustics of your space will be unique but take whatever it is you can get.

Best of luck and enjoy the audio!
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence1 View Post

I also would recommend against HTIB systems. They are vastly superior to the TV speakers but they are also easily beaten by good component systems.

There are many budget systems that can be had, doing a search in this forum should come up with a few results. I wasn't looking for those systems so I can't really recommend anything.

If you need to keep the budget low, most people in this forum would recommend focusing on a good 2.1 or 3.1 system to start and then adding the surrounds later when budget allows. Most of the sound is from the front 3 speakers while the surrounds just add effects.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

You guys have been very helpful considering i am sure these type of quetions are asked every day.

I will do my research and get back to you with what I have decided on. i am very much leaning toward the HSU's right now but may make a trip to some Electronic stores to see what is all available.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Good luck with your search.

I believe if you go with the HSUs you will be happy. If not, you're only out shipping as they have a free in home trial of 30 days. Ascend Acoustics has the same deal. That's part of the reason I recommended those two brands.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page