Home theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Greetings all,

I am trying to narrow down some audio choices for my future home theater.. kind of at a loss due to the number of choices (I'm new to this to a large degree).

I'd like to keep a budget around 10k or less. Currently I have a Def tech reference sub, so my thought was going with another def tech ref sub and using def tech for the rest of the system (5.2 or 7.2). Will be using this system for both movies but also music.. the room is 16x16 but the back is just a curtained wall that opens into a larger area.

I'm not an audiophile per se but I can definitely appreciate quality audio, so any direction the learned members can provide is greatly appreciated! I'm also considering Klipsch, just heard about Genesis speakers... I am willing to ditch the def tech sub if there's a significantly better option, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 517
I would definitely not use the Deftech sub, there are way better choices out there. Trying to use the Deftech with a much better sub would be a bottleneck on your system. For $10k you could get a full JTR setup complete with dual Captivators, although there is quite a wait on JTR last I heard. That would be a killer setup. If it were me at $10k I would be looking at JBL LSR6332s, Pi Threes or Fours, or maybe Klipsch THX KL-650s. The subwoofers I would be looking at are Seaton Submersives, JTR Captivators, or Funk 18.0s. I would get two of either. For surround speakers I would go with JBL 8320s or JBL 8340s. A setup composed of any of those mains, subs, and surrounds would be pretty massive, far better than any commercial theater, especially in a 16x16 room. For an AVR, I would go with the new Denon AVR-X4000. You won't need an outboard amp for any of the speakers I mentioned.

Also, dude, you have an elevator in your house?!
post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply! This gives me something to go on.. I'll research the jtr setup.. Wait time doesnt bother me the home just started construction so im looking like 14-15 months out anyway. Ya elevator was needed due to guest rooms downstairs for parents/inlaws. Wouldve preferred to keep it all one level but couldnt due to town restrictions.

That mixed setup sounds interesting.. You saying thats better than the full jtr setup?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know that it would be better. I think more like on par. The JBL LSR6332s won't quite have the dynamic range of Pis or JTRs, but it will almost certainly measure better and achieve a more neutral sound. I think they would get more than loud enough for your system though. They are actually THX pm3 certified, meaning that the sound quality is so high that they can be used to produce THX soundtracks. This certification is not lightly given. The Pi speakers have terrific measurements themselves, and will have a huge dynamic range, perhaps more than the JTRs, especially if you get the driver upgrades for them. I would lean toward them over JTR at the moment because there are no available measurements of the JTR, although a lot of people have said they sound quite good. On top of that, they wouldn't be as taxing on your amplifier as the JTRs. With speakers that have good measurements, you don't have to take anyone's word that they sound good. The Klipsch THX KL-650 have terrific measurements as well, as good as any speaker out there. I haven't seen their off axis measurements, but I would imagine them to be good, they would have to be to get THX Ultra 2 certification.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
The room is ~ 17' x 15'. It looks like you'll be sitting less than 3 meters away from the screen.

Basically any accurate bookshelf speakers will work.

Just get at least 2 subs, 4 would be better.

You could also place the bookshelf speakers on stands atop the subs to form modular tower speakers (like the $60K RBH 8T modular tower speakers).

The Klipsch KL650-THX Ultra2 speaker system is one idea. You can read about the THX Ultra2 certification. The KL650 & KL525 are among the most accurate speakers ever measured (both are +/-1dB from 100Hz-10kHz with smooth off-axis frequency response).

So you can have yourself a THX Ultra2 certified home theater sound system. wink.gif

The good part is that these speakers have a dealer cost that is about 61% off MSRP.

So in hard economy times like these, you will be able to find dealers willing to help out a bro. biggrin.gif

I would love to see Audioholics do a CEA measurement of the Klipsch THX Ultra2 subs. At any rate, you could get a great deal on the THX Ultra2 system.

Subs like Funk, JTR, Seaton, Rythmik, SVS, HSU, PSA, JL, and high-end Velodyne will also perform great.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked: 17
$10K for audio and video? Are you planning a projector system or flat screen? What kind of music will you be playing? What do you like to see this room do in your new house? These choices will help narrow down the possibilities to recommend.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

I seriously am considering the Klipsch THX2 system, but I also wanted to have decent music capabilities... Would that system be good? I imagine that a floor-standing 2 speaker system would be better for music.. not that I am planning to listen to detailed instrumental music but I'd like to balance that out a bit.. maybe the LR speakers use Klipsch floorstanding models?

4 subs for a 16x16 space?? Sounds like a bit much.. I've heard great things about the SVS subs, was thinking about 2 of those regardless of what system I go with.

If I do go down the Klipsch route, are their sponsors on this forum that would work out a good quote for me?

@ Someoledude - 10k Just for audio. Video will be projector system, hopefully about 120", seating in a row 12ft back. I envision this room to be used for watching movies, or playing music. It has an open back because I envision the entire space to be used casually.. e.g. playing pool while game/music on in background. I'm attaching a more complete pic of the basement as I realize that may make more sense.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

One slight change I am making to those plans FYI, the rear left corner there will be an additional wall added, maybe 3ft-ish to allow a space for a rear left channel and to even out the appearance of the room from the inside, have a spot for the curtains to tie back to, allow an arch for entrace etc. Not sure why architect missed that.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post

I seriously am considering the Klipsch THX2 system, but I also wanted to have decent music capabilities... Would that system be good? I imagine that a floor-standing 2 speaker system would be better for music.. not that I am planning to listen to detailed instrumental music but I'd like to balance that out a bit.. maybe the LR speakers use Klipsch floorstanding models?

4 subs for a 16x16 space?? Sounds like a bit much.. I've heard great things about the SVS subs, was thinking about 2 of those regardless of what system I go with.

If I do go down the Klipsch route, are their sponsors on this forum that would work out a good quote for me?

@ Someoledude - 10k Just for audio. Video will be projector system, hopefully about 120", seating in a row 12ft back. I envision this room to be used for watching movies, or playing music. It has an open back because I envision the entire space to be used casually.. e.g. playing pool while game/music on in background. I'm attaching a more complete pic of the basement as I realize that may make more sense.

Towers have no inherent advantage. They merely have extra bass extension which you wouldn't end up using anyway in a proper setup with subwoofers. The Klipsch THX speakers measure quite a bit better than any of the Klipsch towers. And SVS subs are good, but even their flagship sub does not compare to the Funk, JTR, and Seaton subwoofers. Those other subs are very much on another level.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The room is ~ 17' x 15'. It looks like you'll be sitting less than 3 meters away from the screen.

Basically any accurate bookshelf speakers will work.

Just get at least 2 subs, 4 would be better.

You could also place the bookshelf speakers on stands atop the subs to form modular tower speakers (like the $60K RBH 8T modular tower speakers).

The Klipsch KL650-THX Ultra2 speaker system is one idea. You can read about the THX Ultra2 certification. The KL650 & KL525 are among the most accurate speakers ever measured (both are +/-1dB from 100Hz-10kHz with smooth off-axis frequency response).

So you can have yourself a THX Ultra2 certified home theater sound system. wink.gif

The good part is that these speakers have a dealer cost that is about 61% off MSRP.

So in hard economy times like these, you will be able to find dealers willing to help out a bro. biggrin.gif

I would love to see Audioholics do a CEA measurement of the Klipsch THX Ultra2 subs. At any rate, you could get a great deal on the THX Ultra2 system.

Subs like Funk, JTR, Seaton, Rythmik, SVS, HSU, PSA, JL, and high-end Velodyne will also perform great.

I'd be interested to know who's discounting the Ultra2's at 61% off MSRP, I know AVS seems to be discounting them around 50%. I'd be amazed if someone was picking up new KL-650-THX's from an authorized dealer for $585ea like you're suggesting.

That would be an amazing deal, and definitely would suggest the OP grabbing some at those prices.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Realizing this would blow my budget, but how would paradigm signature compare to the klipsch thx2?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the Paradigms would be bad at all, but it simply wouldn't be as neutral as Klipsch THX. Between the two I would go for Klipsch. If you you are going to place the speakers in the corner, you might think about some cornerhorns like these. One of the best speakers setups I ever heard was a pair of Klipschorns. While Klipschorns are out of your budget, those Sevenhorns could easily be superior to Klipschorns and are within your budget. They are sure to sound absolutely massive.

edit: actually I forgot those Sevenhorns are $3k each, so nevermind that idea. However, the Pi Fours would be pretty stellar, do yourself a favor and give those guys a look. I would give those a try well before I went with Klipsch or Paradigm.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page