Speaker recommendations please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I am looking for some advise to configure and create a surround sound system.

Configuration:
46" Sony Bravia TV
Sony DVD Player
Direct TV
Apple TV
PS3 ( future)
Karoke system ( future ) - optional
Ability to connect iphone/ipad/computer

The home is pre- wired for surround sound in the living room. - Normal speaker wires that go into the receiver and an outlet for the sub in the other end of the room.

The Room:

2 story living room - 18 ft by 20 ft - 20 ft ceiling
Open Kitchen to the back
6 windows to the right
Stairs to the left

I have also setup 2 speakers in the kitchen for a second zone if needed. However, i now realize that the sound in the living room will be loud already and not sure if i can use it the way we initially wanted )

Reciever
leaning towards Yamaha RX 575,
also considering Pioneer or Denon

Speakers:
Was considering the Bose Accoustimass 10 - also for size and the look - but am realizing:
1. Not a lot of positive feedback to Bose , esp with used with non bose receivers
2. As the home is pre-wired for a normal system , will have to re run wires to configure for the sub (or) im told place the sub woofer next to the reciever but thats right in front in the room...

Usage
Big on Airplay and streaming music and videos
Will mostly be used for streaming music , watching cable/shows and movies at times.

Any thoughts if the bose with Yamaha will provide a good experience and worth the investment to rewire for the subwoofer.
Other satelitte speakers that will provide a similar or better experience ?
recommendations / thoughts on the yamaha receiver and any alternates..

thanks,
Vini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I for one vote against Bose. I think for a lot of people, Bose represents a look at high quality audio that they don't get with televisions and or their general speakers. To me it represents Rolex in the watch world. No where NEAR the top of the line, no where near close to anything great but they are above average and can charge what they do because they spend an awful lot on marketing. As they do this you are paying significantly more for a reasonable quality than you should with a different brand.

First, does your system have to be satellite? You can't get much out of a satellite system. Would you consider small bookshelf speakers like the Cambridge Audio S30's? I think they could significantly improve anything in a satellite setting without increasing the footprint much. Since I do not know your price range I'm going to assume you're willing to spend $18,643.97 on speakers. If this is the case consider getting a sleek and sexy SVS SB1000. You'll be able to spend less than $18,643.97! That subwoofer is a perfect compliment to the S30's I recommend and would look good next to your receiver.

If you have to go satellite you could look at the Energy Take Classic satellite set, a brand I prefer to Bose. Woot.com also has a nice Pinnacle speakers set on their website that you could look into.

I have a Denon 1713 and a Yamaha RXV565 and both sound similar enough to comfortably tell you to buy whichever one you prefer based on the features you need. They are quite similar.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your response.

The speakers dont have to be satellite.. but looking for something sleek that can be wall mounted. I am getting bose accoustimass 10 with Yamaha rxv575 for 1200 $.. thats about the price range im looking at.

Energy take 5.1 speakers seem very well rated and at 349$! How does this compare to Klipsch or Boston Acoustics

When u say, you cant get much out of a satellite system - can u please elaborate .... do they not have an effect in large rooms
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Small satellite speakers just can't perform well. Physics prevents them from being significant.

For a small system like that they're all the same pretty much.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend putting an S30 on the wall because they're rear ported and will get a little boomy. If you can put them on stands you should be able to blow the entire satellite system away with just one pair of them. I really think that is where I'd be looking if I were in your position.

We'll call the receiver $450, one pair of S30's is $219, a PB1000 is $499. If you want to go 3.1 you can get the matching center channel for another $199 and I promise you that this system would completely outperform anything that any satellite system in the same range.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page