Building Up HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old Phillips HTIB just died on me after about 6 years so now I am in the process of building up a real HT. I recently got a Denon avr 1513 and Polk Monitor 30s for fronts. I am pretty new to HT's so was looking for some help. Going to be upgrading slowly, so either going to be getting a center channel next or a sub. I can wait for the surrounds for now. I have read some people just set up a phantom center. How can I do that? Is it possible with my AVR?. The room I am setting up is 12x17 so its not that big of a space. Sitting area is about 10 from TV. I am very happy with the pair of 30's so far. They are only about 3.5' apart though below the 40"TV. Would it even make sense to have a center channel if it would have to fit in that space between the two fronts? I could probably hang one over the tv though if need be. So should I be getting a sub next or center? Or is it just preference? The breakdown of what I am watching is: 50% TV shows/sports, 30% movies, 20% video games. Also I have noticed that I am usually watching tv and the volume is anywhere from 45-65. Is that normal for the Denon 1513? The Polk monitor 30s spec for amps between 20-100 watts. The Denon 1513 drives 75 watts at 8 Ohms. I am guessing I have to have the volume that high because the amp is a little underpowered? Should I match all the speakers or just front 3 and can go different brands for sub and surrounds? Thanks for your help.

Would the Polk CS15 match the Polk Monitor 30's? I see it for around $120. That is in my price range.

IF I go for sub next, should I go for Polk as well or look at other brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I think you would have been better served by purchasing the Denon 1613 instead since it has Audyssey MultEQ calibration software. I believe the CS1 or CS2 would be the correct center channel choices. Regarding subwoofers, I would check out the budget subwoofers thread in the Subwoofers forum. No need to brand match your subwoofer. However, the Polk PSW505 is a good value at $199.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
If you are set on going with Polk speakers, for the center channel, you want to get the best one you can afford. The CS10 or CS15 would work, but I would go for the CS20 personally. It's a bit more expensive but the increase in clarity will probably serve you better.

Your receiver should be able to do the phantom center just fine, but you might not be able to tell very well without separating your main speakers more. Getting a good phantom center is about speaker imaging and that is about proper setup. I don't know if you've heard about the "equidistant triangle" where your main speakers and listening position form an equidistant triangle from each other. Thus if your speakers are 10 feet apart, they should each be 10 feet from your central listening position. I had that in my previous house and the imaging was great. I got excellent stereo separation and tested out a phantom center that worked quite well (though I prefer a dedicated center). In my new house (I just moved this past weekend) I can't do that and will likely have my speakers a mere 4 feet apart because of the layout. *sigh* What do ya do?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input. I was thinking about the 1613 for that reason but decided with the 1513. I could not pass on price of $140 refurbished. What about listening with the volume around 45-65? Is that normal?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenine View Post

Thanks for your input. I was thinking about the 1613 for that reason but decided with the 1513. I could not pass on price of $140 refurbished. What about listening with the volume around 45-65? Is that normal?
Yes.

Read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page