Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade my receiver. I have the following setup today:

Yamaha RXV995
Paradigm Studio 100 (Main Speakers)
Paradigm Studio CC-690 (Center Channel)
SVS PC12 (sub-woofer)

I was looking at upgrading to the Yamaha RX A2030 or the Denon X4000 - my comparisons were mainly based on features not on compatibility with my current speakers. Does anyone have suggestions on which receivers do well with these speakers? Some early reviews had suggested using separate amps but I'm sure the receivers now can handle this.

Thanks in advance for your response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Denon X4000 for the much better Audyssey audio calibration (also does dual subs now) and the pre-amp outputs.

I have Studio 100's and a CC-690 and they need POWER to really open up. You're going to want much more stable amplifiers than those in a receiver with a shared (and dinky) power supply.

I like Parasound Classic and Outlaw Audio (ATI built) amps myself in the bang vs buck "genre."

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dan. Are you suggesting that I'd need a separate amp apart from the Denon x4000?
post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I would definitely look at some of the Anthem mrx receivers. I have one and the ARC room software/program is excellent.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhandkar View Post

Thanks Dan. Are you suggesting that I'd need a separate amp apart from the Denon x4000?

Yes, I would recommend either monoblocks or various configurations of multi-channel amps to get the most out of your Studios when you're in a position to do so. At the very least for the front three channels.

Maybe around the 200-300 watt/channel range depending on the size of your room.

post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I strongly recommend that you LISTEN to your speakers
On your new AVR first, before you decide on whether to buy
Separate amps. You may very well be happy with what you
Hear.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your comments. My first decision is which receiver to go with given my speaker and subwoofer combination. I thought Yamaha's made very good receivers (I was happy with my previous one) and was going to buy their new one till I saw comments on this forum about how certain receivers perform better with some speakers. The additional amp will be a phase 2 for me.

Denon seems to be preferred for its built-in Audyssey calibration. Leaving that aside, purely from an audio quality standpoint (and matching with the speakers), which receivers should I consider?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Leaving that aside, purely from an audio quality standpoint (and matching with the speakers), which receivers should I consider?

Leaving "that" aside is the only thing that separates how any AVR will sound. Some say they sound different, but I'm in the camp that they all pretty much sound the same once you leave out the ARC and any EQ applied.

So buy the one that has the features you want or need at a price you feel comfortable with.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Another nod for Anthem MRX series of receivers.....ARC has literally transformed my room into HT nirvana.

I have the same front end as you but am using a Parasound 3 channel amp to power them.

You can demo your system just by using the receiver and I'm sure it will be quite fine......only until you add an amp will you truly know.
Of course low to moderate levels and drama type movies will do nothing to warrant the addition of a separate amplifier but I dont think thats what happens in your room, does it?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

Another nod for Anthem MRX series of receivers.....ARC has literally transformed my room into HT nirvana.

I have the same front end as you but am using a Parasound 3 channel amp to power them.

You can demo your system just by using the receiver and I'm sure it will be quite fine......only until you add an amp will you truly know.
Of course low to moderate levels and drama type movies will do nothing to warrant the addition of a separate amplifier but I dont think thats what happens in your room, does it?

Last I recall, ARC only worked with Windows based PCs. Has there been any change to this myopic position? My decision to not get an anthem to power my 60's was impacted by this oversight.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
ARC will work with Mac based computers providing they have Bootcamp installed....otherwise yes, you need to buy or borrow a Windows based PC/laptop.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

ARC will work with Mac based computers providing they have Bootcamp installed....otherwise yes, you need to buy or borrow a Windows based PC/laptop.

Bootcamp is a native feature, but you still need a copy of windows to install on your mac. Most people who own macs, have no interest in purchasing (or otherwise obtaining) a copy of windows. Seems like a silly exclusion. I dont want to borrow a PC every time I want to tweak my settings.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing that out - I am a Mac user too and will not install Windows just to adjust my receiver. Also, I saw that Anthem does not have AirPlay support and only 4 HDMI inputs - I need a receiver with those features. Back to the drawing board!
post #14 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out - I am a Mac user too and will not install Windows just to adjust my receiver. Also, I saw that Anthem does not have AirPlay support and only 4 HDMI inputs - I need a receiver with those features. Back to the drawing board!

FWIW - prior to the release of the X4000, I purchased the Marantz SR 6007, with an eye toward adding an external amp.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd still consider the Denon X4000

post #16 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I went to a couple of stores here and all of them keep pushing the Yamaha over Denon ("If you've liked Yamaha in the past, why change", "Denon amps are not that great" etc.). Probably their commission is dictating this. Still a bit surprised that Denon hasn't penetrated the market that much. Was hoping to try out the x4000 but no luck
post #17 of 17 Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM

I was in your shoes few days ago and was almost deadset on Denon X4000. I instead went with a Yamaha RX-A2030. I bought an open box which came out priceed same as a new X4000. My impression from reading several forums and talking to few bestbuy sales people were that Yamaha were more reliable and better for music (and Denon for HT). I am not sure how true it is but my biggest reasoning behind going with Yamaha was that it was 9.2 and 140 wpc as comapred 7.2 and 125 wpc with Denon. I also considerd Pioneer Elite but got a good deal on Yamaha hence pulled the trigger. IMO, all three are good brands. Pick the set of features that suit your need.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm Studio 60

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page