Originally Posted by cel4145
I replaced the S30s with RC-10s in my setup, and I moved the S30s to my son's room for his desktop audio setup. When I eventually replaced the S30s with the RC-10s for him, he thought the RC-10s were better. For nearfield, what you want to focus on is the clarity and resolution
I was just reading over this thread again, and this quote really stood out. That's why I'm having such a hard time finding speakers to compete with the CSW 210D's M50 satellites..even though they do not have a huge soundstage, they are just so clean and detailed, ! Even the newton mc300's (made by the same company) seemed dull compared to the 210d's, but I'm hoping that can be fixed with a different amp...i just ordered the lepai. I guess this makes sense considering the 210d system was designed for nearfield listening.
After listening to the M-audio bx8 d2's, I've got to say they are WAYYY better than the Swan M200 MKIII's for my listening tastes. I got a great deal from guitar center @ $299+tax. But, I am convinced now that a sub/sat 2.1 setup is really the way to go far a few reasons. #1, less desktop real estate, #2-a dedicated sub will have more punch/ impact there by making my music listening more fun. I like to keep a relatively strict budget here so I'm planning to buy used...
~$150 for destop speakers-I need clarity and detail down to about 50-60hz. Still debated if front or rear ported is making THAT much of a diff here.
1.behringer truth 2030/3030 a or p (front ported, heard good things about the 3030 line, under $150 used)
2. m-audio bx5 d2's (i think the bx8 d2's sound pretty good and with a sub some used bx5 d2's could be had for about $150)
3. cambridge s30 (can be had for about $150, would like to try for nearfield)
4. RC-10's...seem to be on par with the s30's but offer a different sound....I'm wondering which of these two (s30 or rc-10) would offer more clarity and detail for nearfield listenning...may be really hard to find for $150 used
5. boston e6, vs240 and kef q300 ...hard to find a pair for under $200 used and may be hard to power with budget amp/avr
6. cbm-170se / wave crest hlv-1...proving hard to find used and around $150
7. Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2 ...interested in hearing these...maybe be hard to find used under 150
My family hates me right now...lol