Good solution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
So I am currently using the sony ht-ct260 sound bar but am not to thrilled with the sound quality. The reason why I initially got a sound bar was because of the limited space I have. The location for speakers is 5" tall and 55" wide. I was wondering if I could get two polk tl3 center speakers and use them as left and right speakers with a psw111 for a 2.1 system instead of using the sound bar. Would this be a good solution? Or could you recommend better speakers for the price? I chose the tl3 because the tweeter is mounted higher than the mids, which is supposed to be better then the in-line tweeter location on most center speakers. Also, I love the sound of ring radiator tweeters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

So I am currently using the sony ht-ct260 sound bar but am not to thrilled with the sound quality. The reason why I initially got a sound bar was because of the limited space I have. The location for speakers is 5" tall and 55" wide. I was wondering if I could get two polk tl3 center speakers and use them as left and right speakers with a psw111 for a 2.1 system instead of using the sound bar. Would this be a good solution? Or could you recommend better speakers for the price? I chose the tl3 because the tweeter is mounted higher than the mids, which is supposed to be better then the in-line tweeter location on most center speakers. Also, I love the sound of ring radiator tweeters.

Here's a suggestion for you - you're at $400 for two tl3 - for $439, you can pick up 2 Polk tsi300 floor standing speakers, and a CS10 center:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-FloorStanding-Speakers-Channel/dp/B00DT41PTE/ref=sr_1_96?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377345134&sr=1-96

Do you have a receiver to power the speakers?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Here's a suggestion for you - you're at $400 for two tl3 - for $439, you can pick up 2 Polk tsi300 floor standing speakers, and a CS10 center:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-FloorStanding-Speakers-Channel/dp/B00DT41PTE/ref=sr_1_96?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377345134&sr=1-96

Do you have a receiver to power the speakers?

While I would love tower speakers, they just wont work. The tallest the speaker can be is 5" frown.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:

The tallest the speaker can be is 5"
That's very limiting. I'd look at getting rid of whatever is causing that restriction.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there a problem with using center channel speakers as L/R?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Unless you can do something about your 5" x 55" requirement (very restrictive), you might as well stick with a soundbar.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:

Is there a problem with using center channel speakers as L/R?
There's a problem with using center channel speakers as centers if the drivers are placed side by side, ie., comb filtering and narrowed midrange dispersion. If you must have a horizontal speaker because a vertical speaker won't fit it's a necessary compromise. You should avoid making the same compromise with the L/R.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Your 5" height limitation is tough.

One (obvious) option is to get the best soundbar you can afford.

Another option is the Cambridge Audio Minx speakers (you'd want the 11/21 series over the 10/20 series). There is a dedicated thread here in the forum. Three of them are less expensive than a higher end soundbar and I'm guessing they would sound better, or at least as good. (Their dynamics and imaging are unusually good for such small speakers in that price range - very desirable qualities for HT listening.)

For both options a very, very good subwoofer - esp. one with lots of detail/accuracy in it's mid and upper ranges - would be a must since you'll have a higher than average (120 vs 80) crossover.

An example would be the SVS SB12-NSD or PB12-NSD. The SB version is uncommonly small for it's output while the PB version is bigger and a bit louder, but both have superb detail and would work great with small LCR speakers. In that price range there are several ID brand subs that would work well ... those are just two that I'm familiar with.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page