FOCAL - How much better are the Chorus 836v speakers over the 816v speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently got the 816v and I love them....but just came across someone selling the 836v PAIR for $1500 brand new in the box which I figure I can probably sell mine for or close to.

Before these 816 I had 714v and can tell quite a bit of difference esp in bass response 816 are much better so I am assuming the 836 should blow me away?

right now I have a onkyo 818 hooked up and a onkyo 929 in garage ready to be hooked up....either one of these should be plenty to power these monsters right?

any other info would be appreciated. thansk alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've owned 836's for about 2 years now and I LOVE them. I am running some older, but high end Mcintosh seperates in front of them in a bedroom. I think they are just going to give you deeper bass over the 816s. The mids and highs should be fairly close. I don't need a sub in the bedroom, but I have one and run a 20 year old Klipsch 12" sub with them every now and then. If you can trade up for equal money I would do it. I also have some big 13 year old Def Techs in my basement theater and the mids and highs on the focals are much better, especially for music. I'm keeping my eye out for some electras if they come up for the right price, so I can put my 836s in my theater and have electras in the BR. Kind of sucks because there is nowhere to demo them in MN, and I don't know if I'm going to hear $4,000 to $8,000 better than what I have. I think your Onkyo should be fine, but I have read the focals can drop down to 4 ohms at louder levels. I'm not sure if it's true but if I crank it up, I can see my protection circuits blink on my amp, which prevents them from harming anything. I'm running 275 watts to them as well, as my amp is bridgeable.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 836v speakers will give you a deeper, fuller sound. Just so you know, Focal is discontinuing the 800 series, both the V and W, so you can get some good deals from your local dealer who is moving out their inventory. You might be able to get in to the W series for a few more bucks than the 836v's you are looking at, and that would be a significant upgrade.

Your receiver should do a fine job at powering the Focal's. If you are listening at concert levels and running them full range, it might be a different story.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal Chorus 836 V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page