Should I replace my front wide speakers with Pioneer SP-BS22-LR ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo 818 receiver along with front Pioneer Sp-FS52 speakers. Currently my front speaker is the center speaker from the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL set. My front wide and rear surround are chepo Logitech THX Logitech Z-5500 speakers.
I only have $120 in upgrade to spend so what should I upgrade?
Should I invest in SP-BS22-LR for front wide or rear surround? I was thinking rear surround since I have SP-FS52 as a front.
Or
Should I invest in center SP-C22?

I live in a 1 Bedroom flat so not a big living space (690 Square Feet) however I am looking for something that will "live with me" as I upgrade.

or
should I just keep the setup I have now and save the $120?p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
You certainly have a hodge podge of speakers. The whole point is to timbre match so the sound field reproduction is as seamless as possible.

For right now, I'd go with the matching center for the FS52's (if you want to stick with your Pioneer's, that is) and then get a pair of BS22's for the surrounds.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Indeed I do. What would you recommend instead of the Pioneers? I have 14 days to return them and I got the FS52's for $150 (pair) so I don't know if I can find others at that good of a deal...however I don't mind adding additional $100 to the floor standing if that makes any difference.

What would you go with first? From the reply I would assume center....so the front wides are not as important as the rear surrounds?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnexus View Post

Indeed I do. What would you recommend instead of the Pioneers? I have 14 days to return them and I got the FS52's for $150 (pair) so I don't know if I can find others at that good of a deal...however I don't mind adding additional $100 to the floor standing if that makes any difference.

What would you go with first? From the reply I would assume center....so the front wides are not as important as the rear surrounds?

You're probably correct in having a hard time finding speakers that are superior to the Pioneers for the same price. Start with the center and then swap out the surrounds with the Pioneer bookshelfs.

On Blu-ray you can have 7.1 discrete channels of audio... left,center,right fronts, then stereo side surrounds and stereo back surrounds, plus a low frequency effects channel (LFE). There are no discrete wide or discrete height channels yet... that you'll have to wait for a better sound format to get. Probably when UHD is finalized. The wide and heights are matrix extracted from the main channels I just mentioned via post processing algorithms. They just enhance and spread out what's already there.

Stick with the main 7.1 speaker config and then get the height and/or wide speakers when you can.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page