Anyone want to help me build a general purpose TV/movie room(speaker selection)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So we are building a house and the basement will have a rec room that I am going to install surround sound in. I am not a huge movie guy but with quality speakers I am sure I will watch more movies. I will spend a lot of time watching sports and TV shows in the room. Room is not huge but not small, I think the room is somewhere around 16x20' with 9' and 10' ceilings.

I will likely use my Panasonic 65VT50 and my Onkyo 818 receiver. So what I really have to pick out is the speakers and sub. For the aesthetics of the room I am going to use in wall speakers. My budget will be somewhere around 4-5k. So far I am thinking Klipsch in walls and either Rhythmik or SVS sub. Any preferences among the room? I was just planning on 5.1 but could be talked into going to 6.1 or 7.1. I just don't ever game or watch many movies. Thought it would serve me better to spend more money on fewer higher quality speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Rythmik and SVS are both good sub choices.

Any reason you are set in inwalls? You'd have more options for your front soundstage if you didn't.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, because my wife doesn't want towers or speakers mounted to the walls. Compromise, she is allowing me to do what I want as long as I use in wall speakers. I don't want the room to look like a theater with speakers everywhere either. Just a nice, clean TV room/bar area.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

How about SVS SB13 vs Rhymthik FV15? I kind of like the idea of the smaller 13" driver and sealed enclosure with smaller speakers vs a 15" driver and ported enclosure or is the Rhythmik FV15 tight/accurate enough where I shouldn't be concerned about it. I also like that the SVS is run by a 1000 watt amp. If decided on Rhythmik I would go for the HP version or should I maybe consider the 12" Rhythmik? Output concerns with the Rhythmik 12. So I guess my chooses are the SVS SB13" or the Rhythmik 12(sealed or ported) or the 15" HP ported(they no longer make a sealed 15").

Thanks again
post #5 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Another question about receivers.. I will more than likely need to buy a second receiver. I don't want to do while house audio but there are several areas I want speakers. The deck, the patio, the garage and will have probably just a 3.1 setup on the TV in the main hearth/living area. I like having everything controlled by phone and have done this previously with my airport express/apple TV and onkyo's ap. What is the best way to do all this and have control of all of it by phone. Do they make a receiver with that many zones?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

My total budget is 10k(built in an allowance for this) but I need to do outdoor speakers for 3 areas, security system and maybe home automation with that money.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The sub choices you listed are both solid. I own 2 svs and have heard very good things about the rythmik. As far as in walls, I am very intrigued by the offerings from Golden Ear Technologies. If I were doing in walls, they would be on my short list. I am a big fan of sonos for multi zones. I have 4 myself. Very easy to set up, excellent gui for android and ios, you can access your library or multiple free and subscription music services. You can play Bach on the patio and ac/dc in the garage or combine zones. All you need is one internet connection, everything else is wireless. To me, sonos is a no brainier.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the info.. So it sounds like I should buy a basic receiver for the 3.1 setup upstairs and a Sonos to run my outdoor/garage stuff.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I've never heard any in-wall home theater speakers, but Paradigm appears to have nice in-wall speakers. I think the Signature series would go beyond your budget, but maybe the Reference series should be good.

http://www.paradigm.com/products/type=inwall/

Some people seem to like Triad Gold

Paradigm make an in-wall sub that promises to cancel out unwanted wall vibrations. MIght want to read some reviews on it first though.

http://www.paradigm.com/products/type=inwall-subwoofer/model=rvc-12sq/page=overview

If you don't mind normal subs, I don't stop hearing good things about Rythmik and I plan on buying the LV12R.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

The sub can be "normal".
post #11 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

How about SVS SB13 vs Rhymthik FV15? I kind of like the idea of the smaller 13" driver and sealed enclosure with smaller speakers vs a 15" driver and ported enclosure or is the Rhythmik FV15 tight/accurate enough where I shouldn't be concerned about it. I also like that the SVS is run by a 1000 watt amp. If decided on Rhythmik I would go for the HP version or should I maybe consider the 12" Rhythmik? Output concerns with the Rhythmik 12. So I guess my chooses are the SVS SB13" or the Rhythmik 12(sealed or ported) or the 15" HP ported(they no longer make a sealed 15").

Thanks again

I'm pretty sure Rythmik still makes the F15 sealed sub. I was able to add it to my cart on their site.

The FV15HP is a heavy hitter that is roughly equivalent in output to the ported PB13-Ultra. I would think the regular FV15 would have more output than the sealed SB13. Given the size of your room, if you ever decide to crank it up for movie watching, the FV15 would be the better choice than any of the other subs you have listed. Still, I bet the SB13 would do pretty well. Here are some reviews:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-svs-sb13-plus-subwoofer?page=0,0
http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-sb13-ultra-subwoofer-reviewed/
Notice in the 2nd one the reviewer mentioned how much he liked with watching sports smile.gif

post #12 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'd have to say SB13 or F12. Both are amazing subwoofers. I have the little brother of the SB12 but I adore it. It is the most musical sub I've ever heard. Jim Wilson said there simply is not a better subwoofer under $1000 in his review than the Servo Rythmik F12. There is no possible way you could go wrong with either of these subwoofers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page