Polk Audio RTi8 Woofers stopped working :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

The other day i had put a playlist on youtube before going in the shower, not too loud either when i heard the song change, the sound got louder and by the time i got out of the shower only tweeters were playing..

My Amp is a Pioneer VSX-1026.

I'm surprised that all 4 woofers blew over nothing ..could it be an electronic component that died? Is my Amp strong enough or too strong for these speakers?

Thx for your replies smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sounds like something went belly up with the crossover. Did you contact Polk directly? They have wonderful customer service.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 22
Sorry about your loss. I presume that you blew 2 woofers in each speaker. So I would not immediately suspect that the speaker crossover failed since it would have to fail in 2 separate speakers at the same time.

I'm puzzled by your comment “the sound got louder”. In my experience when a speaker blows it simply goes quiet, no drama at all. So wondering about why the volume level would increase. Any chance that you live with a significant other who wanted a little more volume for a particular song?

And just for my personal curiosity, are you running with a subwoofer? If so what was your amplifier crossover set at for the Polk RTi8 speakers?
Lattman likes this.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I asked my girlfriend if she played with the volume, she swore not lol unless one of my cats pressed on the volume up button on the remote eek.gif

Only logical explanation would be that one song was recorded louder than the other on youtube which pushed the speakers too hard? confused.gif

I have a subwoofer, it's a Formula F12, i also have rear speakers Martin Logan M10..the Pioneer VSX-1026 was set to auto surround (By the way is my amp the right capacity for my speakers?)

What confuses me is that the sound was not so loud that i would expect all woofers to blow.what's even weirder is that i turned on my amp the same day a few hours later after the event and all seemed back to normal..yesterday this was not the case

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated
post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have Nakamichi banana plugs installed on my RTi8 which i had bought from ebay, moving them around rendered my woofers functional again..wonder if the plugs were knockoffs and of poor quality confused.gif

Weird..
post #6 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
just use bare wire instead. banana plugs are for ease of use, not to make the speaker sound better.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

just use bare wire instead. banana plugs are for ease of use, not to make the speaker sound better.
+1. Connectors are convenient if you're in the habit of regularly removing the cables, but they're also one more thing that can go wrong.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 22
Lattman, well I'd believe your girlfriend and put the blame on the cat. As a precaution I run my Yamaha receiver with the configuration setting for “max volume” set to -10. So regardless of how much I spin the volume knob the receiver will not go above that setting. Not sure if your Pioneer supports this feature. But it would “cat proof” your system.

So what's left? Well driver failure is most often the case of too much power being applied to the voice coil. Other than being turned up too loud it would likely be a setting in the amp or the source material.

I'd check settings in the auto MCACC to see if there are any places where the Acoustic Calibration EQ Adjust has a large boost at a particular frequency. Eg 1000 Hz +6. An equalization boost of 6 dB would actually call for 4x the power, so what would have been 10 watts at 0 dB is now converted into a demand for 40 watts at +6 dB.

And you need to consider the source material. Odds are that the Youtube track that was being played was highly compressed. Compressed material causes the average power to be delivered to the speakers to be higher than that of normal dynamic music. More power results in more heat being dissipated by the voice coil. And eventually the voice coil wiring will fail.

If the amplifier is driven into clipping the effect is the same. The average power is now higher than when the amplifier was not clipping. Same result – voice coil melt down.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #9 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy View Post

Lattman, well I'd believe your girlfriend and put the blame on the cat. As a precaution I run my Yamaha receiver with the configuration setting for “max volume” set to -10. So regardless of how much I spin the volume knob the receiver will not go above that setting. Not sure if your Pioneer supports this feature. But it would “cat proof” your system.

So what's left? Well driver failure is most often the case of too much power being applied to the voice coil. Other than being turned up too loud it would likely be a setting in the amp or the source material.

I'd check settings in the auto MCACC to see if there are any places where the Acoustic Calibration EQ Adjust has a large boost at a particular frequency. Eg 1000 Hz +6. An equalization boost of 6 dB would actually call for 4x the power, so what would have been 10 watts at 0 dB is now converted into a demand for 40 watts at +6 dB.

And you need to consider the source material. Odds are that the Youtube track that was being played was highly compressed. Compressed material causes the average power to be delivered to the speakers to be higher than that of normal dynamic music. More power results in more heat being dissipated by the voice coil. And eventually the voice coil wiring will fail.

If the amplifier is driven into clipping the effect is the same. The average power is now higher than when the amplifier was not clipping. Same result – voice coil melt down.
Umm, the OP posted 12 hours previous to your post that moving his banana plugs around solved the problem. Seems like it was a dirty connection.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page