Do in-wall speakers need to actually be in a wall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working on the layout for a theater in my basement (more details here). I would like to use in-wall speakers (behind an AT screen) if possible to maximize the depth I have available in the room. My problem is, on the wall where I would like to put the speakers, I have a window right where the center speaker should go:

For various reasons, I do not want to completely wall-over the window. At the same time, it is okay if the window is not easily accessible (it will be behind the screen anyway). I was wondering if I could simply frame out with 2x4s (or 2x6s) a partial height "wall" just to hold the in-wall speakers? Something like this:

Can in-wall speakers be used in such a configuration? The framing would not have drywall on it (or at least, not up where the speakers would be; maybe below the screen), just the studs and additional framing to hold the speakers (it will also be secured to some other structure so it won't move/tip over). In addition, there would be open space where the window is behind the center speaker. Are the lack of drywall and/or the open space behind deal-breakers for in-wall speakers?

Are there any details that might be important that I've forgotten to mention? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267

Some in-wall speakers can be inside a enclosure so you want to check with the manufacturer. Enclosing a in-wall speaker that is not meant to be could mess up the low end response of the woofer I'm guessing.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I just picked up 3 Sonance Cinema Series LCR's and they are fully enclosed in their own box and the boxes are almost to nice to put inside a wall, very nice and sealed... There are others out there as well the are fully enclosed as well...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
It only works if the in-walls are fully enclosed like Triad's. It's basically like placing in-room's inside the walls. That's why they're thinner and yet longer in order to keep the cabinet's internal volume about the same.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you very much! Just so my understanding is clear - if you have a fully enclosed in-wall speaker, then it doesn't matter how/what it is attached to, correct? I'm guessing it should be attached to something solid/rigid and that there shouldn't be anything extending past the front edges of the speaker, but otherwise, nothing else will impact the sound from it?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot4 View Post

Thank you very much! Just so my understanding is clear - if you have a fully enclosed in-wall speaker, then it doesn't matter how/what it is attached to, correct? I'm guessing it should be attached to something solid/rigid and that there shouldn't be anything extending past the front edges of the speaker, but otherwise, nothing else will impact the sound from it?

Correct. You need to attach them to something as they're not really meant to be freestanding. There are theater builds here that use self-enclosed in-walls behind acoustically transparent screens because they don't have the space for regular sized speakers (and don't want to puncture the sound proof nature of their dedicated rooms by embedding speakers in the walls). You can use these types of in-walls within an acoustic baffle wall and within columns as hidden surround speakers.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!