Two questions, one post - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all. New guy here. And that's new in more ways than one; I'm just starting to learn about all this AV stuff as I've just recently become an adult with a job and disposable income. Or, at least, that's how it seems.

So I've just bought myself a Denon X4000, which was an upgrade from my Onkyo TX-nr515. I'm still running the same Klipsh bookshelf speakers, but I'm scoping upgrades.

Now for my first question: generally speaking, as one moves up the scale of a family of speakers, what's the overall difference? For example, if I'm looking at Klipsh ikon speakers and compare the $700'ish pair to the $900'ish pair, should I expect them to sound better at the same volume, or am I really just getting more power/volume, which I may not need? And, of course, I don't just mean Klipsch. The same question applies to, say, MartinLogan electrostatic speakers, which come in various prices.

Which segues me to my next question: should I consider the Klipsch Ikons from BB? I know many will say no, but the BB guy told me if I bought the $900 pair, they'd throw in the surrounds ($280 each) for free, and I'd get 10% off the 10" subwoofer. Throw in the center and you're looking at around $1700.

Now, when folks start throwing in stuff for free, I figure the reality is it's all over priced. Could I do considerably better for around the same price?

Also, my primary use will be movies/video games. And the whole set will be a place holder until I can save up enough/justify the 10 grand for the MartinLogan set I want, which will be a few years probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Since this isn´t your ¨dream¨ system I would spend as little as possible to achieve an acceptable system. The Icon series is kind of the bottom rung of the Klipsch offerings at the moment. The differences between the KF-26 and KF-28($900) are pretty much higher output and lower bass extension. If you have a big room that may be important but a better subwoofer or two would make more sense than a larger tower.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! I appreciate the response. This really seems to be a great community.

Also, that's kinda what I was thinking. But my next question: why two subs? I've seen that be the answer to lots of questions, but I guess I fail to understand just how important the sub must be to the system as a whole, and I certainly can't understand why a second would make that much difference. I've never actually seen a second sub in action.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For a similar pricepoint I think you can do much better. If you like the sound of the Klipsch you should look at the Rb-61. If you call avs and speak to one of their sales reps they could probably give you a really good price on the pair.

http://www.klipsch.com/rb-61-ii-bookshelf-speakers-pair

As for the sub i think its really important to get a good sub and the klipsch that they offered most likely wont be up to the task. Take a look at this rythmik sub. It would compete with $1000 commercial subs and hold up very well and maybe even best many.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

The point of a second sub is to make the bass sound more even at all of the frequencies. If you graph he frequency response of the room you will see that it is all over the place. Some frequencies may be very loud and others may be very quiet (modes/nulls). These wont disappear by boosting or cutting power. It is a room issue and muktiple subs is the easiest way to fix this. Many newbies under estimate the value of a sub and think they are simply one note boomboxes. This is not true, if it is well thrn you havent experienced a true sub. A sub should be a significant portion of your budget even if you dont plan on having extreme bass - it has the most difficult job of all the speakers.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Liked: 29
There's also the used route. I got my RF-52's for $280 and my RB-61's for $125. Much better than the icon line at a fraction of the cost. Just have to be patient if you're looking for great deals.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny View Post

There's also the used route. I got my RF-52's for $280 and my RB-61's for $125. Much better than the icon line at a fraction of the cost. Just have to be patient if you're looking for great deals.

+1 With a smaller budget and this not being your end all system. I would go used. Reference line is a lot better than the icon line. Even a small bookshelf reference speaker will outperform a bigger floor standing speaker from the icon line for movies.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, RS-62 II Reference, and RB-61 II Reference
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103
9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well, again, it seems y'all are right on the money--pun intended.

I got to looking on Craig's list and found some Paradigm Reference Studio Series. Studio 100 v.5 towers locally.

Now, I didn't get those. I ended up finding some LoganMartin ElectroMotion ESLs for about $650 each. As I mentioned, I've got a thing for the appearance of the electrostatic speaker.

Of course, the paradigms looked pretty sweet, too.

Any thought on those? smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page