Looking to buy a surround sound system for around $400-500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My livingroom is composed of one room with two different sized areas. The viewing area and the dining area.

The viewing area with all the couches is slightly wider, 17 by 15 foot.

The dining area is slightly less wide at 12.5 by 13.5 foot.
Code:

______17_______
|               |
| viewing area  | 15
|  17x15        |
|__             |____
     |  dining  |
     | area     | 13.5
     |12.5x13.5 |
     |__________|

The line to the right is just to seperate the areas so its easier to see the lenths, even though they are connected.

I spent 1750 on the TV and i think it would be ridiculous to spend more than 1/3 of the price on the sound.

So my budget is up to $550.

I'm looking at the Energy take classics and the Energy RC-micro's. If I go with the RC-Micro's I'll buy only the 5 speakers and I'll be going with the PSW505 or the BIC F12 subwoofer bringing the total cost to $420. I already have an AV reciever so I don't need to buy one.

Questions:

- Are these speakers enough for my room setup? Will they sound weak due to room size?
- If I spent $800 ( lets say if I went with the V-mini's) would the sound be THAT MUCH better? How? Just ability to be louder?
- Should I go with the take classics or the RX-micros (I read threads on here recommending micro over takes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
I spent 1750 on the TV and i think it would be ridiculous to spend more than 1/3 of the price on the sound.

And this is why people have substandard sound systems. You should spend close to the same amount on your surround sound setup as you did for your HDTV. I guess people tend to think the visual benefits are worth it but the audio benefits are not.

My main 5.1 setup cost way more than my TV.

If that is your budget you should look at the NHT SuperZero speakers as they're better than both the Take Classics and RC Micros. They have larger cabinets and drivers which contributes to the better sound.

Get 5 of these for $300 and add your subwoofer.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0

Afro GT
post #3 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I had a friend who used to work for Samsung...

They had a focus group come in one day to evaluate the impact of sound on the perception of a TV, (or something like that).

The experiment went like this:
- A group of people are put into a room with a TV of a determined size and asked to watch several movie clips.
- The people are then led into a different room with another TV and asked to watch the same movie clips.

Then they are asked to fill out a survey saying which TV they liked better. Nearly all of them said that they liked the larger TV in the second room better.

The problem with that answer was that the TV in both rooms was the same size... same model, size, calibration, identical in every way possible... but the second room had better audio. The enhanced audio made the experience more immersive and they perceived the TV as being larger because they were drawn into the movie more.

Bottom line... audio matters.

You say you already have an AV receiver so I'm assuming you've experienced surround sound in some fashion before. Try turning off your receiver, or at least not using it for audio, and watch everything with only your TV's speakers for a week or two... then make the decision about how important good audio is to you and set your budget accordingly.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, to be honest, I'm happy with the speakers inside my sharp 70"... so going from that to spending $500 on speakers, i think i'll be very satisfied... but i still want to get the best bang for my buck
post #5 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackel View Post

Well, to be honest, I'm happy with the speakers inside my sharp 70"... so going from that to spending $500 on speakers, i think i'll be very satisfied... but i still want to get the best bang for my buck

If you are happy with the TV speakers then I think you'll be happy with anything else.

Stay under budget and take your wife out to dinner.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hate watching TV at my friends homes who don't have sound systems. It makes a huge difference to me.

I can't imagine watching Breaking Bad only using the TV speakers. A full blown action movie would be even worse.
Valtyr likes this.

Afro GT
post #7 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I hate watching TV at my friends homes who don't have sound systems. It makes a huge difference to me.

I can't imagine watching Breaking Bad only using the TV speakers. A full blown action movie would be even worse.

You have friends that don't have sound systems... and you still call them friends?rolleyes.gif

j/k of course. They can be friends when they come over to your house to watch stuff!

post #8 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, I just don't visit when a show I want to see is on.

Now if they're watching reality shows it doesn't matter if they have a surround system since most of that is crap anyway.

Afro GT
post #9 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Are you guys all in agreement that i should go with the NHT superzero's over my other choices?

What about center channel, shouldn't i get a different speaker for that than the NHT superzeros?
post #10 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and one last thing, should i wait for black friday?

in my experience only the crappy stuff gets marked down, maybe i won't get quality for cheap?

Or is it wise to just get them now?
post #11 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Did some research before pulling the trigger on these guys, i decided not to wait for blackfriday found a quote here:

"NHT makes some excellent speakers, except that their sensitivity is so low that it quadruples the amplifier power needed to get any given sound level.

This usually makes them a very poor choice. Most receivers do not have so much excess power that we can afford to effectively divide it by 4 by using low-sensitivity speakers."

he is talking about the superzero 2.0's, i

I went to look at the reciever i have to make sure it will be sufficient, its the HTR-6030 Yamaha, would this be a good enough receiver to power the superzeros?
post #12 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you call NHT they'll tell you that you get a 30 day in home trial. That way you can try the SuperZeros at home to see if they will work in your environment.
Quote:
We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchases from www.nhthifi.com. If for some reason, you are not completely satisfied, you may return your product(s) within 30 days of the initial order date for a full refund of the actual purchase price including the shipping charges.

www.nhthifi.com

Afro GT
post #13 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you call NHT they'll tell you that you get a 30 day in home trial. That way you can try the SuperZeros at home to see if they will work in your environment.
www.nhthifi.com

Ok, pulling the trigger on these guys then. Next is the woofer. For my budget I can spend around $250 on that, as I said I'm looking for the F12 or the PSW505...

But what if I went one notch up? which woofers would be in the next bump up and how much would those cost?
post #14 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bic PL200 and Klipsch RW12d are the next step up. They'll cost you around $300. After that you're looking at the $500 range.

Afro GT
post #15 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Bic PL200 and Klipsch RW12d are the next step up. They'll cost you around $300. After that you're looking at the $500 range.

found a good deal on the PL200, my budget was 250 but i found them for 280, figure 30 bucks won't hurt me much.

Would it be an issue if I had a better sub than i do the 5.0 speakers? Will the sub "drown" them out somehow?
Is it better to stick with the same sub quality as the speakers?

I'm sure I sound like an idiot, and that's because when it comes to sound and audio... I am.

Also I'm looking for everything else needed to set this up, from what I've read it looks like I'll need:

- Speaker wire, 14 guage or 16 guage, not sure which is best yet. Thinking of getting 14 guage just in case, but let me know if that's silly for my room size and speaker setup.
- Subwoofer wire
post #16 of 16 Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can always turn down the subwoofer volume if it ever drowns out your other speakers.

What AV receiver do you have? Most of them have room calibration software which sets the volumes for all of the speakers including the subwoofer.

Your room isn't that big, 14ga will work just fine.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page