Klipsch THX U2 speaker "fatigue" possibly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just received my Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers over this past weekend. I regret to say that I am having some issues adjusting to these horn speakers. I might be experiencing the "fatigue" feeling in my ears that people have described on the forums. I have only spent a few days with them so far but when listening at louder levels, especially in action movies, my ears get sore which is really strange. I primarily listen to 5.1 movie soundtracks and the room is only for home theater.

I find myself confused as to whether I return the Klipsch or to give them more time. I am coming from electrostat Martin Logan 5.1 speakers and my main reason for upgrading is that I was going to use the ML speakers in another room (2 channel). I recently moved houses and my new media room is much smaller (15'x11) thus I felt that the ML speakers did not have enough floor space to properly place and give room to breath. My wife thinks that I'm just having buyers remorse after spending the $$ on the new speakers when my old ones worked fine.

Another thing is that I am feeling that the overall sound experience in movies is not really that much (if any) of an improvement over my previous ML speakers. Do I just need to give the Klipsch more time?

Previous speakers:
Martin Logan Scripts (fronts) http://www.martinlogan.com/products/script
Martin Logan Theater (center) http://www.martinlogan.com/products/theater
Polk Audio FXi A4 (surrounds) http://www.polkaudio.com/products/fxia4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 403
What are you using for equipment? Did you calibrate them?
post #3 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

My Denon AVR has Audyssey MultEQ XT and yes I used that to calibrate the speakers. I set all speakers to small, all crossover @ 80Hz, and then ran Audyssey for my main listening position. It set most of them close within a +/- few dbs of each other. Does anything stand out as wrong with my config?

Room size: 1,400 CU FT (LxWxH)14'x11'x9'

Speakers:
Klipsch THX Ultra2 (KL-650-THX LCR, KS-525-THX surrounds) http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2

Sub:
Power Sound Audio XS30 http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30

AVR:
Denon 3808 CI http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-3808CILit_0325.pdf

Room pics:

post #4 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Do you have a frequency response measurement at your listening position that you can show us?
post #5 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Did you set Audyssey to FLAT, make sure Dynamic EQ is on, Dynamic Volume is off, and increase the subwoofer levels to your little heart's content? wink.gif

Audyssey has this nasty habit of turning my sub levels way below my preference. mad.gif

I always have to increase the sub levels a few. biggrin.gif

Higher volume w/ less bass level might make things sound SHRILL and fatiguing.
Also, get out the SPL meter and measure the volume you are listening to. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now turn Audyssey off and keep the calibration settings and listen. Those speakers are neutral so you either are playing them louder than the ML's which is not hard to do, or audyssey is messing something up. These speakers are flat out of the box so try that first. Horns themselves to cause fatigue.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure how to turn Audyssey "off" once I have already calibrated?

I have also had some advice given that I should not toe-in my L/R speakers as much as I am now. They are probably close to 45 degrees toed-in at the moment. Some other advice suggested that I should move my sofa forward into the room more to improve overall sound equalization. However I was trying to avoid that as I prefer being at least 10 feet away from my 100" projection screen.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^
Sorry to hear no improvement from such expensive speakers (at least to me). By turning dynEq to off, I believe Audessey is disable. I have not listened to your Klipsch but did listen to the JTR Noesis 228 and these really impressed me. They are bigger in size than your Klipsch and about the same price as yours. They still fit in your set up, I think.
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-228ht/
post #9 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I think some acoustic panels on the side walls will help.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussboy View Post

I am not sure how to turn Audyssey "off" once I have already calibrated?

I have also had some advice given that I should not toe-in my L/R speakers as much as I am now. They are probably close to 45 degrees toed-in at the moment. Some other advice suggested that I should move my sofa forward into the room more to improve overall sound equalization. However I was trying to avoid that as I prefer being at least 10 feet away from my 100" projection screen.

1. Use Direct or Pure Direct mode (easiest quickest way)

or

2. Go into Menu --> Parameters --> Audyssey --> Off
post #11 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This may sound weird, but my speakers sounded softer when I set them to Large. I wouldn't recommend it generally but maybe your speakers just need to break in?

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #12 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure you use THX ultra mode if you have it, these speakers were made for all that THX stuff to work together. The 3808 has a nice amp section so you should be fine there. Use THX dts-hd and no audyssey. Calibrate using a spl meter at your LP setting all speakers to 75 dBs using the manual calibrate in your AVR. Run your subs 3 dBs hot and give it a listen.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Run your subs 3 dBs hot and give it a listen.

I concur. biggrin.gif

Run your subs hot. Sometimes 3dB, sometimes 4dB, sometimes 5dB hot. biggrin.gif

I think when the sound is more "full", it is less "shrill" and fatiguing.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

What about toe-in on my L/R speakers? I was advised to start with very little toe-in, calibrate, then listen. Then repeat with different toe-in settings to see if it makes much difference. My seating position is quote narrow as I only use 2-person love seat in this room.

MK: My Denon 3808 is not a THX receiver, thus it doesn't have a special mode for it. Also my AVR does not do Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Ok so of all the advice I am gathering, it seems like the only real changes I can make are adjusting placement/toe-in of my main L/R speakers, and possibly adding room treatments to my side walls. Do I have that correct?
post #15 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Big toe in is more for music listening, movie listening has more speaker to make up the slack and cover more seats. Try aiming the tweeter above your head with the woofer at your ears. Toe in about 5-15 degrees should be fine. Try to calibrate manually and not use Audyssey first. Start with the basics.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Remember that half of your listening experience is your room.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

As far as room treatments I have had it suggested to start with 2 panels on each side of my room as shown in the picture below. Does this seem like a good placement option?

For reference here is the room in its current state:

Several people have suggested these acoustic panels from ATS which are sold on Ebay. They seem like a good value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24x48x2-Inches-in-Microsuede-/220911698533?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item336f5d0265
post #18 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

As far as room treatments I have had it suggested to start with 2 panels on each side of my room as shown in the picture below. Does this seem like a good placement option?

For reference here is the room in its current state:

Several people have suggested these acoustic panels from ATS which are sold on Ebay. They seem like a good value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24x48x2-Inches-in-Microsuede-/220911698533?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item336f5d0265

Hit the first reflection points to begin with (walls and ceiling) using absorptive acoustic paneling. Sit in your central listening spot looking straight ahead at your screen and have someone slide a tall mirror along the wall. Where you first notice your speaker in the mirror (left or right depending on which wall has the mirror) is the room's first reflection point. Obviously, duplicate the location of the panel on the other wall. Do the same thing to the ceiling.

The trick is not to over dampen your room and kill the natural sound stage of your speakers, but even things out acoustically as much as possible.

If nothing seems to help, you might want to take a listen to Triad Silver speakers. To me, their dome tweeters have a much more pleasing treble response than the Klipsch horns.

Don't settle if you're not enjoying the Klipsch speakers.

And no, you shouldn't have to use the THX post processing mode on any THX Certified receiver when you use "THX" speakers. In fact, it's a bit outdated.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #19 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

For the Klipsch THX speakers, calibrating my Denon3808 AVR, should I be using Audyssey on "flat" mode or regular? System is intended for only movie/home theater use.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the Klipsch THX speakers, calibrating my Denon3808 AVR, should I be using Audyssey on "flat" mode or regular? System is intended for only movie/home theater use.

Try regular first. Flat, according to Audyssey, does not apply a high frequency roll-off curve. If you're getting "too much" treble from the Klipsch's then you might want the roll off.

post #21 of 38 Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

THX is not outdated, it has more to do with the proper HP and LP slopes of THX speakers and subs. It makes it simple. His AVR does not have it so it does not matter. All Klipsch horns don't sound the same so I would not be too vague and group them all together.
post #22 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I always find that Audyessey calibrates too bright with horns. At least with mine that is the case. It can make them sound too shrill. Horns sound best flat so I would do as said and calibrate with an SPL meter to 75-77 db per speaker and leave Audessey off. My Onkyo has the ability to adjust the EQ after Audessy is ran and that's how I achieved the best results using Audessey with my horns. I had to rolloff the top end about 3db and it made all the differnce. As said don't underestimate room treatments and also the break in period. If you still don't like I'd try another speaker.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #23 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

THX is not outdated, it has more to do with the proper HP and LP slopes of THX speakers and subs. It makes it simple. His AVR does not have it so it does not matter. All Klipsch horns don't sound the same so I would not be too vague and group them all together.

THX's post processing mode in receivers and pre-amps IS outdated and has not kept up with the times, whether or not their speaker specs for certification are. They expect the speakers to be aligned like in the Dolby EX matrix days (with a matrixed mono rear surround "channel" with limited frequency range, and back speakers placed close together) and don't synthesize stereo back channels for 5.1 material. THX Re-EQ is no longer necessary because most movies have near-field mixes made specifically for home systems. DTS Neo:X and even Dolby Prologic IIx: Cinema are superior.

Unfortunately, when THX started certifying just about anything short of a toaster oven, their brand name was tarnished.
Avliner likes this.

post #24 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I always find that Audyessey calibrates too bright with horns. At least with mine that is the case. It can make them sound too shrill. Horns sound best flat so I would do as said and calibrate with an SPL meter to 75-77 db per speaker and leave Audessey off. My Onkyo has the ability to adjust the EQ after Audessy is ran and that's how I achieved the best results using Audessey with my horns. I had to rolloff the top end about 3db and it made all the differnce. As said don't underestimate room treatments and also the break in period. If you still don't like I'd try another speaker.

It depends a lot on the speakers. With my old speakers, Audyssey flat was a little harsh when turned up real loud. With my current speakers Audyssey flat sounds very good. This is in the same room using the same setup.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #25 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Does Audessey flat have more high frequency (treble) than just Audessey? Is that the only difference? Thanks.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Does Audessey flat have more high frequency (treble) than just Audessey? Is that the only difference? Thanks.

Here is a copy and paste explaining this:

"Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this. One has to do with the translation required from a large movie theater to a smaller home listening room. The other reason has to do with the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

The Audyssey Reference target curve setting makes the appropriate correction at high frequencies to alleviate this problem. A slight roll-off is introduced that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound.

The Audyssey Flat setting uses the MultEQ filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

Some manufacturers have decided to implement a Bypass L/R (or Front) setting. This uses the MultEQ filters that were calculated for the entire listening area, but it does not apply any filtering to the front left and right loudspeakers. The average measured response from the front left and right loudspeakers is used as the target curve for the remaining loudspeakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat as is the case for all the settings described above. This is not a setting recommended by Audyssey.

In some products, there is a Manual EQ setting. This is a traditional parametric equalizer that does not use the MultEQ filters or the Audyssey measurement process at all."

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #27 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

In a nutshell, yes.

Audyssey has the treble rolled down, instead of flat, so you get less treble.

Audyssey Flat does NOT roll down the treble, so you get more treble.

Some speakers sound better w/ Audyssey to some people. Some speakers sound better w/ Audyssey Flat to some people (like me). biggrin.gif

Another thing. When I use Audyssey or Audyssey Flat, but turn OFF Dynamic EQ (DEQ), I don't really see any benefits. But when I use Flat + DEQ, it's awesome.

So if your AVR is OLDER and does not have DEQ, you may not get much benefit.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 88
As has been mentioned above, (and as an owner of Klipsch THX surrounds and LCRs of similar / horn design, it's not Audyssey, it's the inherent hotness of horns in a room that is highly reflective, squarish in shape and without diffusion and absorption.

This is a recipe for disaster. Surely these speakers will be more dynamic than MLs, but you're experiencing exactly what you should given your room.

1. Add absorption behind the speakers,

2. Diffusion at side walls at strategic areas,

3. and preferably DSP / EQ to tame the hot spots. Audyssey may not do it.

If I played my own reference audio set up in my own room minus the investment in room treatments and DSP, my ears would be fried, too! Using THX post processing is a band aid but not a solution.

Otherwise, go back to the MLs. Excellent speakers. ANY brand of speakers with horns in your room would be fatiguing. Period.

I prefer horns and am moving to a PHC set up (Pro Audio Technology). They'd be a disaster in your room. Get treatments and EQ and you will be better. Try the Audyssey after you get treatments. If still no good, try DSPs. I'm selling my excellent QSC DSPs/EQ and moving to Trinnov room correction to tame my horns (and my room is fully treated)!

Good luck!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #29 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

In a nutshell, yes.

Audyssey has the treble rolled down, instead of flat, so you get less treble.

Audyssey Flat does NOT roll down the treble, so you get more treble.

Some speakers sound better w/ Audyssey to some people. Some speakers sound better w/ Audyssey Flat to some people (like me). biggrin.gif

Another thing. When I use Audyssey or Audyssey Flat, but turn OFF Dynamic EQ (DEQ), I don't really see any benefits. But when I use Flat + DEQ, it's awesome.

So if your AVR is OLDER and does not have DEQ, you may not get much benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Here is a copy and paste explaining this:

"Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this. One has to do with the translation required from a large movie theater to a smaller home listening room. The other reason has to do with the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

The Audyssey Reference target curve setting makes the appropriate correction at high frequencies to alleviate this problem. A slight roll-off is introduced that restores the balance between direct and reflected sound.

The Audyssey Flat setting uses the MultEQ filters in the same way as the Audyssey curve, but it does not apply a high frequency roll-off. This setting is appropriate for very small or highly treated rooms in which the listener is seated quite close to the loudspeakers. It is also recommended for all rooms when the receiver is in THX processing mode. This allows THX re-equalization to operate exactly as it was intended.

Some manufacturers have decided to implement a Bypass L/R (or Front) setting. This uses the MultEQ filters that were calculated for the entire listening area, but it does not apply any filtering to the front left and right loudspeakers. The average measured response from the front left and right loudspeakers is used as the target curve for the remaining loudspeakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat as is the case for all the settings described above. This is not a setting recommended by Audyssey.

In some products, there is a Manual EQ setting. This is a traditional parametric equalizer that does not use the MultEQ filters or the Audyssey measurement process at all."
Thanks. I need to switch between the two to see which is better in my room.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I'm selling my excellent QSC DSPs/EQ and moving to Trinnov room correction to tame my horns (and my room is fully treated)!

Good luck!

Jeff,

Are you using DSP-30/DSP-3/DSP-4 (2in/2out) units, or the Basis/Rave (8in/8out) units by chance? I have a few Basis, but am looking for a few more. smile.gif

(sorry for the hijack)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page