Time to upgrade.....insight required - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently have an older Nad C-740 receiver and PSB Alpha A/V s bookshelf speakers on stands and wish to upgrade.

I am thinking about a new receiver and a pair of floorstanding speakers....perhaps with a center channel speaker.

Presently I am using a DVD player, Roku 3 and Panasonic 42 inch plasma which I intend to keep using.

Setup will be in living room of condo.. say 15 x 26 ...not too much sound deadening material in the room.

I prefer to listen to music at relatively low volumes with 30% music and 70% video.

Budget is roughly $1200 for receiver , two towers and perhaps a center.

I like speakers with good mid and higher range....not too big .....with nice fit and finish.

I am thinking Yamaha receiver around a $400 budget and $800 for speakers.

Looking for some suggestions for speakers to audition

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It looks like you have a fair budget.

I would recommend that you experience Monitor Audio RS6 or RX6 speakers. In my opinion they are the highest value in this price range. You'll want to look in the used market for these speakers but they can be had for about $400 - $700 for two front speakers.

You could also look into a full range speaker like the Paradigm Studio 20 V.3 in the used market.

Since you like video over music, I'd really recommend a speaker like the Cambridge Audio S30 for their bright sound and amazing mid bass, and couple it with a small subwoofer like the SB1000 or PB100 from SVS. A $500 sub with the $219 S30's would leave you plenty of room to work and if you wanted a second pair of S30's you could probably work that in the future for surround sound.

I think Yamaha or a Denon receiver would work quite well for you in any of the aforementioned setups.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking of new floorstanding as opposed to used thanks.
Buying used is a bit of a hassle .....Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo51 View Post

Currently have an older Nad C-740 receiver and PSB Alpha A/V s bookshelf speakers on stands and wish to upgrade.

I am thinking about a new receiver and a pair of floorstanding speakers....perhaps with a center channel speaker.

Presently I am using a DVD player, Roku 3 and Panasonic 42 inch plasma which I intend to keep using.

Setup will be in living room of condo.. say 15 x 26 ...not too much sound deadening material in the room.

I prefer to listen to music at relatively low volumes with 30% music and 70% video.

Budget is roughly $1200 for receiver , two towers and perhaps a center.

I like speakers with good mid and higher range....not too big .....with nice fit and finish.

I am thinking Yamaha receiver around a $400 budget and $800 for speakers.

Looking for some suggestions for speakers to audition

With only a $1200 budget and a pair of PSB alphas on hand, recycling the PSB Alphas has a lot of romance. Forget about towers and spend the money on a subwoofer where it will do you some serious good.

Budget say $300-400 for the AVR, $250 for the PSB Alpha C1 center channel speaker leaving $500-700 for a great subwoofer from SVS, Rhythmik, or Hsu. If you want the best bang for the buck, take a refurb Onkyo or Denon AVR from Acessories4less.com.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Settled on Yamaha RX-V675 with Wharfdale Diamond 10.4 Towers, 10 sx sub and 10 cs centre for about $100 over budget
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Reply Speakers

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Paradigm Reference Studio 20 , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page