Need help deciding on a budget system... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, here's the high points:

16'x16' room w/ 18' vaulted ceilings. I'll be using the set-up for music 50% and movies/tv 50%. I am not an audiophile but I do like loud, clear, and intense sound.

Current set-up:

Old Boston Acoustic bookshelf in 3.1 w/ BIC F-12. Running a Yamaha rx-v673. This set-up fills up the room pretty good but I'm definitely looking for more.

I'd like to stay around/under $300 if possible. I'd consider ~$400 for a really good deal.
The set-ups I've considered so far have been the Energy Take Classic 5.0 and Jamo s426 hcs3. Then I started hearing about the Jamo s606 and now I'm all confused (not that I can find them on sale anywhere anyway).

Thoughts? Opinions? Are floor speakers really that much better than bookshelf when paired w/ a decent sub? Any suggestions for other brands/set-ups that might work well for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
You expect too much for that sized room with such a small budget. Save up and you'll have a lot more speaker and sub choices to consider. It's like saying: I want it all, but I'm not willing to pay for it. biggrin.gif

As for speaker sub combos. It really depends on the speakers. If you get too small a bookshelf model with a sub, you're missing out on a few frequencies in between... not a lot of mid-range and mid bass reproduction to be had.

FYI

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 894
fwiw, take a look at the home theater direct level 2 bookshelves and center and use your old boston acoustics for rears until you can replace when your able

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, take a look at the home theater direct level 2 bookshelves and center and use your old boston acoustics for rears until you can replace when your able

Thank you smasher for the suggestion. Ill check them out.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

You expect too much for that sized room with such a small budget. Save up and you'll have a lot more speaker and sub choices to consider. It's like saying: I want it all, but I'm not willing to pay for it. biggrin.gif

As for speaker sub combos. It really depends on the speakers. If you get too small a bookshelf model with a sub, you're missing out on a few frequencies in between... not a lot of mid-range and mid bass reproduction to be had.

FYI

Thank you for your response Dan. To be clear, I'm not expecting audiophile quality for my price range. I just want some suggestions for how to move forward and upgrade from my current set-up. I'd consider buying just two speakers for now and saving up for the rest but I do not want to go up from $300-$400 for now.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You can check out the NHT Superzeros they're out of stock now and may not be back, but they're $60.

My personal favorite is the Cambridge Audio S30 (but two would be $219).

I would be willing to bet if you get two quality bookshelf speakers and a nice subwoofer you'd probably do pretty well for yourself.

Popular subs include (might need to save an extra hundred or two)

Klipsch RW12-D
SVS PB1000
NXG BAS 500
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

You can check out the NHT Superzeros they're out of stock now and may not be back, but they're $60.

My personal favorite is the Cambridge Audio S30 (but two would be $219).

S30s would be my choice in this size room. Much higher sensitivity. Should get louder for the same amplifier power.
Valtyr likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsker View Post

Thank you for your response Dan. To be clear, I'm not expecting audiophile quality for my price range. I just want some suggestions for how to move forward and upgrade from my current set-up. I'd consider buying just two speakers for now and saving up for the rest but I do not want to go up from $300-$400 for now.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

If you're willing to buy a little at a time, I'd perhaps consider a pair of HSU Research HB-1 monitors in that price range. Sometimes they'll have B-stock as well for a further discount (usually just minor cosmetic defects and with a full warranty). They'll play plenty loud, but with good tonal range, in a room such as that since they're so efficient and use horn loaded tweeters. They don't use metal compression drivers like Klipsch, so not as "hot" and in-your-face in the treble department. Then add more HB-1's and a sub when you can.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page