Looking for Bookshelf type speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a bookshelf stereo system as a present for my girlfriend. She would be happy with a itty bitty little one we saw at Best Buy, she thought it was cute and would fit nice in her bedroom.
I was thinking of getting a Yamaha RX-V675 and some bookshelf speakers. As we were looking at them she heard some speakers she really liked. They were the Bose 301's.
There was a variety of speakers there in that price range so we clicked away to hear the others. Pioneer, Klipsch, Polk, Sony, and a couple of others. Of all the horrible things I hear about Bose they did sound really good, better than the others. And we were able to compare them side by side with the others at a click of the button. As far as music goes she likes listening to Pandora alot, easy listening stuff, and country too. (Yuk to me).
What other speakers can fill the room without being turned up real loud? She doesn't want to have to be in that certain little "sweet spot" for it to sound good.That reflecting sound just may be a good thing. So why all the negativity with the Bose 301 or 201's? At low to moderate listen levels wouldn't the paper cones be ok? I'm not sure what waveguides are but I have read they don't have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 881
There are many speakers that will outperform the 301s. Most of them you will not be able to listen to before buying though. It sounds like you are already sold on the Bose so if you like them then buy them.

The 675 is a good choice.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Check out the Pioneer BS 22, Well regarded, and very inexpensive. Best Buy carries them.
SonomaComa likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Why do so many people here not like the Bose 301 or 201 Series?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
They're nice speakers but you're paying 80% more than what you should be paying to pay for their marketing.

Here is my recommendation for speakers:

The best of the entry level bookshelves. They're a step above the aforementioned Pioneer Speakers but the Pioneer's are quite nice.
Cambridge Audio S30

Don't believe me?
Read here
SonomaComa likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 715
301 have a nice sound. No reason not to buy them if that is what will make her happy. If she liked them best then that's what I would buy her. Done deal

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
301's are fine if you get them for a decent price.

Afro GT
Old 08-29-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa View Post

Why do so many people here not like the Bose 301 or 201 Series?

(1) The Bose name is poisonous in the minds of many audiophiles all by itself.

(2) In fact some Bose products are OK, but they often represent poor value for the money.

The current 201 and 301 products strike me as being both overpriced and strange. Furthermore, there have been dramatic changes in this product over the years which reflects poorly on the current product.

This is a picture of the Bost 201/301 series 1:

This speaker appears to be more consistent with Bose's direct/reflecting technical dogma than the current product that looks like this:

The 201/301 speaker has morphed from a speaker whose directivity could be altered once emplaced to a speaker that is pretty conventional other than the break in the front panel and placement of the tweeter at a fixed angle.

Conventional engineering wisdom is that speaker directivity control is best when the tweeter and woofer point in the same direction (at the listener - what a concept!) and are as close together as possible to smooth the transition from the woofer to the tweeter.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

One thing I have been looking at is the JBL line of Bookshelf Speakers. They all have the Mids & Woofers made from PolyPlas. How is that different from Paper Cones or Kevlar Cones? It look s like they have a really awesome line of Bookshelf Speakers. The Studio L830, L820, & L810 ....... http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/shop/Bookshelf-Speakers/cat140015;jsessionid=B79901A233D15C7797A362B8FFDBE1D6.node3

But they are more expensive than some of their Floor-Speakers! The Studio L880 & Studio L890. And they are all made out of pretty much the same materials, what's up with that?
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/shop/Floor-Standing-Speakers/cat140013