Looking to buy 2.1 computer speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a 2.1 speaker system. Right now I have Alesis M1 Active 320 USB which I like a lot, the only problem is I don't think I can add a sub to these and I'd like to get a sub. So I'm thinking of moving these to a different room of the house and getting all new.

What I don't understand is what all I need. I've read that I'll need a new sound card and an amp, is that right? I'm using a laptop as my main PC right now so I probably will need a new sound card. I'm ok with that because I plan on building a desktop soon so I'll need a sound card anyways, right?. Do I really need an amp though?

Also should I buy the satellites and the sub separate or as a bundle? I looked at 2.1 speaker systems and found this Corsair SP2500 system that I can get for $200. I like how those look but if I can do better buying the parts separately I'd rather do that.

One last thing I need is that this system needs to plug into my computer but I'd also like to hook it up to use with my Xbox 360 too if that's possible. If the computer and the Xbox 360 could play audio at the same time that would be ideal as well. I'm not too sure what I would need for that though.


Thanks for the help!
gtrplyr201 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone?
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
coli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
.
coli is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Member
 
dansou5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most computer speakers (2.1) have an amp built into the sub. I don't know if you necessarily need a sound card, they are typically used if you are going to use more channels like a 5.1 setup.

I have the http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-2300-THX-Certified-Speaker-Subwoofer/dp/B0002SQ2P2 which are not produced anymore but i believe they make a new version similar to this one. It uses a standard headphone jack that will connect into you laptop/desktop. Now to use these for an xbox you will need to have a tv that has an analog audio out like a stereo jack or a rca audio out. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Z623/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce this is the model that replaced mine. Ive never heard them but if they are anything like my z2300 you will be happy with them

You could also buy a stereo amp like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300 and buy 2 bookshelf speaks and a speaker level input/output subwoofer.similar to this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629 . This way would give you more flexability in what satellite or bookshelf speakers you want and sub you would like to buy. Personally I would probably choose this over computer speakers because of the option to upgrade.

Another option would be to buy a 5.1 home theater receiver and just use it as a 2.1 set up. More expensive but will allow you to upgrade to more channels in the future.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend.
dansou5 is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
$200 won't buy you much. Consider this - good speakers are as complex as laptop. So your price target should be - each speaker equal in price to your laptop. Then we can talk about what's better or worse based on specific preferences and use cases.
ap1 is online now  
post #6 of 28 Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou5 View Post

You could also buy a stereo amp like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300 and buy 2 bookshelf speaks and a speaker level input/output subwoofer.similar to this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629 . This way would give you more flexability in what satellite or bookshelf speakers you want and sub you would like to buy. Personally I would probably choose this over computer speakers because of the option to upgrade.

+1

See this CNET review of the Lepai matched with Dayton speakers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/ Then get that Dayton sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyr201 View Post

If the computer and the Xbox 360 could play audio at the same time that would be ideal as well. I'm not too sure what I would need for that though.

I don't know know how you would do that without some kind of mixer setup. I would abandon that idea.

cel4145 is online now  
post #7 of 28 Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

See this CNET review of the Lepai matched with Dayton speakers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/ Then get that Dayton sub.
I don't know know how you would do that without some kind of mixer setup. I would abandon that idea.



Awesome thank you! Grand Rapids represent!
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 09-01-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyr201 View Post

Awesome thank you! Grand Rapids represent!

Are you in GR? Cool smile.gif

If you edit your profile, you can add your location.

cel4145 is online now  
post #9 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about 5 minutes from GR tongue.gif


I have a question about this setup you were both talking about. I'm having trouble picturing how I would connect the sub to the amp, and also how I connect the amp to my laptop. Other than that I'm loving how this setup is looking
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
coli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can get some pretty decent AV receiver on Craigslist for cheap. Any of the $1000+ non-HDMI receiver now goes for below $50. Get that, then you can get real
speakers like the BS22 ($80 when on sale for a pair), then get an isoacoustic stand, and you got a setup that's worth at least $1000 in sound.
coli is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Five minutes from GR is GR smile.gif

The Lepai has both 3.5mm inputs and RCA. So you would hook the sound out from your laptop headphone jack to one of them (depending on what type of cable).

You can hook the Dayton sub up in two ways:

1) Connect the speaker out from the amp to the speaker level inputs on the sub, then the speaker level outputs to the speakers. This will pass through the amplified speaker signal and allow you to control the volume of both with the Lepai.

2) Split the output from your computer and run it to both the Lepai and the sub. This would mean you would have to set the volume on the amp and the sub to match them, then control volume with your computer.

cel4145 is online now  
post #12 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Five minutes from GR is GR smile.gif

The Lepai has both 3.5mm inputs and RCA. So you would hook the sound out from your laptop headphone jack to one of them (depending on what type of cable).

You can hook the Dayton sub up in two ways:

1) Connect the speaker out from the amp to the speaker level inputs on the sub, then the speaker level outputs to the speakers. This will pass through the amplified speaker signal and allow you to control the volume of both with the Lepai.

2) Split the output from your computer and run it to both the Lepai and the sub. This would mean you would have to set the volume on the amp and the sub to match them, then control volume with your computer.


I'm starting to wonder if the Lepai is necessary reading into it more. Couldn't I just run the speakers to the sub's amp and call it good?
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyr201 View Post

Couldn't I just run the speakers to the sub's amp and call it good?

See what I previously wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

1) Connect the speaker out from the amp to the speaker level inputs on the sub, then the speaker level outputs to the speakers. This will pass through the amplified speaker signal and allow you to control the volume of both with the Lepai.

The sub amp is only for powering the sub.

cel4145 is online now  
post #14 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still incredibly confused. The Lepai only has room for 2 channels it looks like, so where would the sub input to it?
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
The sub does not "input to it." Connect the speaker outputs on the Lepai to the sub speaker level inputs. Look at pictures of the back of each.

cel4145 is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The sub does not "input to it." Connect the speaker outputs on the Lepai to the sub speaker level inputs. Look at pictures of the back of each.


So let me make sure I have this correct lol. Speakers go into the sub, sub goes to the lepai, lepai goes to computer?
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Yes. But I can see how you are not conceptualizing it because you are listing it backwards from the way I did. The audio signal goes from your computer to the Lepai, where is amplified. Then the amplified output goes to the sub, which passes it through to the speakers. So learn it not by how it is connected, but how it works smile.gif

cel4145 is online now  
post #18 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
lol at least you perfectly understand ,either way is the same.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is online now  
post #19 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

lol at least you perfectly understand ,either way is the same.

I don't know about that. If he understood it, he wouldn't have had to ask again smile.gif

cel4145 is online now  
post #20 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
That its right and that was a brilliant idea for that budget. wink.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is online now  
post #21 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yes. But I can see how you are not conceptualizing it because you are listing it backwards from the way I did. The audio signal goes from your computer to the Lepai, where is amplified. Then the amplified output goes to the sub, which passes it through to the speakers. So learn it not by how it is connected, but how it works smile.gif


Ah thank you! I think I understand now smile.gif I was going to start ordering soon until I saw this warning to stay away from the B652's. Now I'm not too sure if I want to try those or get something else!
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyr201 View Post

Ah thank you! I think I understand now smile.gif I was going to start ordering soon until I saw this warning to stay away from the B652's. Now I'm not too sure if I want to try those or get something else!

That's good. If it's your first foray into passive speakers and amps and such, good to learn enough about it to understand it smile.gif

I read on another forum that someone called Parts Express, and they told him that they had corrected that problem. You could place your order by phone and confirm that smile.gif

cel4145 is online now  
post #23 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That's good. If it's your first foray into passive speakers and amps and such, good to learn enough about it to understand it smile.gif

I read on another forum that someone called Parts Express, and they told him that they had corrected that problem. You could place your order by phone and confirm that smile.gif



Excellent! Here is a photo of my shopping cart, I hope I have everything smile.gif

gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
That looks good. Although I would be tempted to buy 18 or 20 gauge wire. However, 22 gauge should be enough.

Also, the Lepai amp is cheaper on Amazon. And the Dayton SUB 1000 is free shipping there, too, in case it's not at Parts Express. Might check Parts Express and Amazon against each other. smile.gif

cel4145 is online now  
post #25 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
If you cant wait and want everything delivery at once go ahead, but if you can wait a save you some money cel is giving you a better option. Is your choice smile.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is online now  
post #26 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That looks good. Although I would be tempted to buy 18 or 20 gauge wire. However, 22 gauge should be enough.

Also, the Lepai amp is cheaper on Amazon. And the Dayton SUB 1000 is free shipping there, too, in case it's not at Parts Express. Might check Parts Express and Amazon against each other. smile.gif



I did check on amazon for the Lepai amp but it said it would take 17-26 days to ship eek.gif wasn't worth it in my opinion so I just went with everything on parts express for the ease of it. I got a Labor Day $10 discount which completely payed for the shipping so I basically got free shipping anyways. I can't wait to get it!
gtrplyr201 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Just search for "Lepai" on Amazon and see what comes up. This seems to be in stock and immediate shipping: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/

cel4145 is online now  
post #28 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
gtrplyr201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Just search for "Lepai" on Amazon and see what comes up. This seems to be in stock and immediate shipping: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/


Oh, ya that one is probably shipping sooner but Lepai had the new upgraded 2013 model on there that I was hoping to get but I didn't want to wait that long for it. I don't mind though, I have placed my order smile.gif
gtrplyr201 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off