lifestyle 12 powered sub not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old lifestyle 12 system. My powered sub is not working. Is there an easy fix for this? The console display hasn't been working but I just found out that I was using the wrong power pack. I had that replace and it works find now. If I can get the sub to work I will have my system up and running again. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarb View Post

I have an old lifestyle 12 system. My powered sub is not working. Is there an easy fix for this? The console display hasn't been working but I just found out that I was using the wrong power pack. I had that replace and it works find now. If I can get the sub to work I will have my system up and running again. Any help would be appreciated.

It isn't a sub, it is a "bass module" tongue.gif

Try Ebay ... smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for correcting me "dad"...

Now that we have that out of they way.....I don't want to buy another one from ebay I was looking for a way to fix the one I have.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Now that we have that out of they way.....I don't want to buy another one from ebay I was looking for a way to fix the one I have.

You'll find quite a few members that don't hold the most positive opinion of Bose. I used to own so I own so I know where you're coming from.

Have you tried calling Bose? Even if it's or of warranty maybe you could pay a small fee to fix it? Perhaps a local repairman of such things could also patch it up?

I don't think there are too many Bose owners here. Maybe you could get more and better help on a Bose specific forum?

post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have found this to be true on other forums also. I'm not a huge fan either but this system is for my garage so I thought I would try to fix it before I went out and bought something else.

Bose wants @ $300 to fix it and I'm not paying that.

Thanks for talking!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
you could buy a Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for $300 and it would sound better.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Oh now I get it, you want the easy fix ... Just immerse the "bass module" in a bucket of extra virgin olive oil for two days and problem solved. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

you could buy a Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for $300 and it would sound better.

+1

Or Martin Logan MLT-2 for $299 on Newegg.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Well, that's a pretty vague statement so without being able to open it up and taking a look, it's anyone's guess as to what could be the problem. Does it turn on and are you able to hear sounds from the satellite speakers? If so, you may be in luck and maybe just the driver inside is dead. You can try opening it up and testing it. If it's dead replace it with something similar in specs. If it doesn't even power on then you have bigger issues. At this point you will need to decide if it's worth it to you to have a repair center fix it for you. Most places will charge you ~$75 just to check it.

I'm guessing that since you are posting here that you are not comfortable with opening things up and trying to figure things out on your own. Not putting you down or anything. Not everyone has the knack, desire or are just merely afraid of the risk of killing themselves with electronics. It is what it is. The reason I brought that up is because assuming that, you only have three choices at this point. Pay some one to fix it, buy a replacement bass module or invest potentially a lot more money to replace the whole setup.

The thing about Bose is they are proprietary for the most part. The Lifestyle 12 relies on the bass module to provide amplification of the satellite speakers so even if you tried to get another sub from another company it won't work. The control module only has low level outputs for L/R speakers so you would need an external amp if you want to just use your speakers and you would then only get FR/FL speakers no discrete surround or center channels. Based on what you've already gathered from this and other forums, the overwhelming suggestion you are going to get is to dump the Bose and step up to a decent quality system.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page