Center & Amp for Polk LSiM707 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys! I just bought a pair of Polk LSiM707s at a price I could turn down: $2000 for the pair (floor models). I never had the intention of purchasing floor standing speakers but I loved the sound these speakers put out so I bought them anyway. Now I am in the market for a center but i dont want to pay a $1000 for the polk centers in the same class. I have been able to find some JBL S Centers for relatively cheap -- $100. Would this be a bad fit for the LSiM 707s?

Also I bought a Marantz NR1402 not too long ago. I am not sure if this receiver will give these speakers the amplification they deserve. So I am considering purchasing a stereo amplifier to fees off the preamp outputs of the receiver. If so, does anyone have recommendations for a "decent" amp for these speakers? Hopefully something less than $300; used is fine.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262

I personally wouldn't use the JBL with those speakers. Your next best bet would be the 704 center from Polk ebay. Once in awhile they'll have a sale if you have the patience to wait.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSiM704c-BLACK-center-channel-speaker-Polk-Audio-EACH-/231011467106?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35c95b3f62

Don't know what cabinet finish you have but they don't make the 704 in cherry.

As far as an amp goes $300 probably won't get you much even for a used one. I'd just keep a look out on craigslist or other sites and try to save more to up your budget. I'd suggest an amp with 200 WPC to drive those if you want to listen at more than moderate levels. Those speakers can drop as low as 3 ohms so they aren't an easy speaker to drive. I guess you are aware your receiver only has pre-outs for 2.1 channels.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the valuable input Stanley! I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the 704s and save some money for an amplifier. I am under the impression that the 707s will be the most difficult speakers to drive once everything is said and done, but I might be wrong. Do you think that the 704c would benefit from a similar amplifier?

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeden View Post

Thanks for the valuable input Stanley! I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the 704s and save some money for an amplifier. I am under the impression that the 707s will be the most difficult speakers to drive once everything is said and done, but I might be wrong. Do you think that the 704c would benefit from a similar amplifier?

With your receiver you only have pre-outs for the main left/right channels and a sub. A two channel amp is all you'll be able to use. 50 watts off your receiver driving your CC isn't much for movies. You might wanna rethink things.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hate to say this but I'd be in the market for a different receiver. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I realized that shortly after posting my reply. So I take it that the 704c would benefit from similar amplification. It's fortunate I didn't spend too much on the Marantz ($250 refurbished) and I'm sure I could get a good portion of that back if I put it up on ebay--its a lovely slim reciever. That being said what would you recommend for a receiver. Or possibly I can get a decent receiver that has preamp capabilities (like a Yamaha) and a 5 channel power amp from say Emotiva?

post #7 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

You could look on accessories4less.com for a refurb if you want to keep the costs down. That's where I bought my Denon. Just get one with the features you want and pre-outs if you want to add an amp in the future. A three channel Emotiva would work and let the receiver power the surrounds. I'm partial to receivers that use Audyssey XT or XT32. XT32 will cost a good chunk though. Just get into saving mode and start looking when the funds are available. Do your research before buying. Lots of info in the forums here. Have a good night!

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
post #8 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Stanley. I appreciate it.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi stan,

I just wanted to follow up on the results of our little discussion a month ago. I did end up getting a Polk LSiM 706c for my center, and I think this was the right choice. I overlooked how important it is to have the centers match your towers. The 706's blend extraordinarily well with the 707s, and I think I would be very very hard press trying to find a better center for those 707s. I also picked up a Parasound HCA-1500a (and in great condition for $250!) two channel amplifier to drive the 707s, and let me tell you, the difference in sound was immediate. I was blown away on how much better the 707s sounded with proper amplifier. For a week or so while I was looking for an amplifier I was feeding my Yamaha AV-1600 (120W) amplifier from the preout of the Marantz NR-1402 (the AV-1600 is having HDMI handshaking problems which is why I wasn't using it on it's own) and there was an improvement over the Marantz NR-1402 on it's own. But the moment I replaced the yamaha AVR with the parasound amp there was no comparison--the sound was in a completely different ball game. I guess I was always just under the impression that more watts means louder sound. Now I'm starting to think, in simplest terms possible, that watts determine limits for the area under the SPL to frequency graph, and when your amp just doesn't have the capability feed power hungry speakers than, while you may still hear loud sound, other frequencies may be curtailed--and most prominently in the lower frequencies. Certainly no one wants to blow their doors down with a 1Khz (and only 1Khz) tone, for instance smile.gif. Of course this is oversimplified, but I think this is a picture I like to keep mind.

I still plan on replacing the Marantz with a receiver that offers preamp support and either grabbing me a 3 channel amp from Emotiva or possibly just adding a mono-amp and keep the parasound for the 707s. I'm not yet sure if I'm comfortable having two different manufacturers of amps powering my fronts and center. But for now, the wife has cut the home theater spending for a bit--at least have a great setup for listening to music and I am much happier with my movie experience compared to one month ago.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, them wives are always trying to curtail out spending habits but somebody's gotta keep us in check. Great setup you have now. Enjoy.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page