Help for 5.1 setup - Approx. $2k budget (Room Pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I apologize in advance for another one of these threads, but I will try to keep it relatively short and sweet. Everyone's situation is different, so that's why I am looking for some more experienced help. Here is mine:

1) I know very little about home audio (which is why I need help)
2) My budget is around $2,000 (not including a receiver, which I do need as well and am currently looking at the Onkyo TX-NR717 as it is going to be on sale soon in Canada)
3) Speakers will be going in the basement of my house, so no need to worry about neighbours
4) These will mostly be used for sports, movies, and a little music
5) I think I would like to get a subwoofer, but I could easily be convinced not to get one if it would not be required.
6) I've linked to a picture of my basement and how it is set up. Things are not totally precise in the pic, but you get the idea. Where I have labelled the 26'6" and 13'6" measurements are also ledges that run all the way around the wall. These could allow for all bookshelf speakers if I wanted, or I could just go with tower speakers in the front instead. I'm pretty open to either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
just curious can tv be placed in center of small wall .this will give you better speaker placement and way better sound than in corner. seeing that you live in Canada its pretty hard to recommend speakers that are sold out of Canada because of the price of shipping and duty taxes. this can take a good part of your budget and pretty costly if you don't like them and have to ship them back. as for the use of a sub, it really comes down on how much you like watching movies. for general tv watching and music its not so much needed but if you like watching a lot of movies I totally recommend one. svs sound is a Canadian based company with great subs if you do go with one. this will save you a lot of money on shipping.(sonic boom audio a Canadian retailer carries them)

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Ascend Acoustics gets great reviews (professional and consumer), I have some, I love them!

This is what you could get CMT-340SE (left, right, and center)
with stands for the left and right

CBM-170 SE bookshelf speakers for the rear

Rythmik LV12R subwoofer

package deal: $1767

www.ascendacoustics.com

Rear speaker stands http://www.amazon.com/Sanus--Inch-Steel-Speaker-Stand/dp/B0006DPPAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377870277&sr=8-1&keywords=SF34

$127

I also agree, the TV should go in the center of a wall for better speaker placement, but your couch placement might be easier if you put the TV along the big wall.
post #4 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far.

We initially put it against the long wall one the one side, but the room looks cut off a bit when we put it there. It just looked off a bit. But if it will be that detrimental to the sound to leave it in the corner, I could put it back.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 327
As for subs, SVS has a Canadian dealer, Sonic Boom I think. Might save you some money over shipping another brand in, plus they make great subs and have super customer service.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajola View Post

Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far.

We initially put it against the long wall one the one side, but the room looks cut off a bit when we put it there. It just looked off a bit. But if it will be that detrimental to the sound to leave it in the corner, I could put it back.

Have you tried putting it on one of the short walls? That would allow you to have a proper front sound stage and as was mentioned earlier would make a huge difference. Placement and room treatments are some of the most effective tools for enhancing sound quality.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I did, but my couch isn't really long enough to properly align the TV. I would either have to move the TV off center from the wall, which would look weird, or move the couch so it's aligned property with the center of the TV and that leaves weird gaps around the room between the walls/couch.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did, but my couch isn't really long enough to properly align the TV. I would either have to move the TV off center from the wall, which would look weird, or move the couch so it's aligned property with the center of the TV and that leaves weird gaps around the room between the walls/couch.

I would go with the weird gaps. It's the basement after all. smile.gif

Plus, it's better to have your seating away from walls for best sound.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #9 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

OK thanks guys, I will definitely tinker with some set ups and make something work where the TV will be along one of the walls.

I grabbed the Onkyo 717 today, really excited to get started on things here. Any other speaker suggestions? I was already leaning towards an SVS subwoofer since they seem to have nothing but positive reviews, so I will likely go with one of those. Is the PB-1000 going to be enough woofer to fill the room?
post #10 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK thanks guys, I will definitely tinker with some set ups and make something work where the TV will be along one of the walls.

I grabbed the Onkyo 717 today, really excited to get start on things here. Any other speaker suggestions? I was already leaning towards an SVS subwoofer since they seem to have nothing but positive reviews, so I will likely go with one of those. Is the PB-1000 going to be enough woofer to fill the room?

Can the room be closed off? If so assuming an eight foot ceiling you're over 3000 cubic ft.

As for one PB1000 it depends on your expectations and what you consider "enough". A pair would be better for sure.

I just upgraded to a PC12+ in a 1650 cubic ft sealed room. It's awesome, but certainly not too much either. High level bass is addicting. smile.gif And SVS is an awesome company to deal with. First class all the way.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #11 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Can the room be closed off? If so assuming an eight foot ceiling you're over 3000 cubic ft.

As for one PB1000 it depends on your expectations and what you consider "enough". A pair would be better for sure.

I just upgraded to a PC12+ in a 1650 cubic ft sealed room. It's awesome, but certainly not too much either. High level bass is addicting. smile.gif And SVS is an awesome company to deal with. First class all the way.

Unfortunately it can't be closed off. I know it would boost the sound quality that much more, but it wouldn't be practical at all. The ceilings are 8 indeed 8 foot ceilings.

I have pretty low standards, so I bet any SVS sub would sound awesome to me. I have a basic Panasonic HTIB I am using right now that I've had forever and have gotten good use out of, but it's time to move on.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately it can't be closed off. I know it would boost the sound quality that much more, but it wouldn't be practical at all. The ceilings are 8 indeed 8 foot ceilings.

I have pretty low standards, so I bet any SVS sub would sound awesome to me. I have a basic Panasonic HTIB I am using right now that I've had forever and have gotten good use out of, but it's time to move on.

In that case but as much sub as your budget allows then add another at a later date if you feel you need it and can afford it.

I'm one of many on this forum that bought wrong the first time. It only ends up costing you in the long run.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #13 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

In that case but as much sub as your budget allows then add another at a later date if you feel you need it and can afford it.

I'm one of many on this forum that bought wrong the first time. It only ends up costing you in the long run.

Buying wrong is exactly what I am afraid of, which is why I came here first, so thanks to you and everyone for your help so far.

I might stick with the 1000 for now, just because I don't have a ton of money to play with, and if down the road I feel I need an upgrade I can add a second sub.

I'd appreciate some more speaker recommendations unless everyone is in agreement with Chevypower on the Ascends.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
fwiw, here are some of the most recommended speakers on this forum in your budget; for which ones are the best only your ears can be the judge of that. shipping to Canada can be expensive so give them a call or e-mail and get a quote

ascend acoustics- cbm170se or cmt340se

hsu research - hb-1mk2's

home theater direct- level 2 or level3
jajola likes this.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #15 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Buying wrong is exactly what I am afraid of, which is why I came here first, so thanks to you and everyone for your help so far.

I might stick with the 1000 for now, just because I don't have a ton of money to play with, and if down the road I feel I need an upgrade I can add a second sub.

I'd appreciate some more speaker recommendations unless everyone is in agreement with Chevypower on the Ascends.

That's a good strategy. According to what people have been told by SVS, the PB-1000 is only a few decibels less in max output than the PC12 or PB12 models. Get one, and you definitely can always add another smile.gif

I'm an Ascend owner. Definitely a good speaker. You might try and see if you can listen to Paradigm and PSB speakers. They are both Canadian speaker brands, so cost might be more reasonable for you.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #16 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the alternatives Smasher, I will look into those.

Good to know cel4145 - I was kind of worried that the PB-1000 wouldn't be enough sub for the room, but now not so much.

I don't have anywhere that sell PSB around me but I did find a place that carry Paradigm, and some other "world renowned" brands according to them, so I will check them out.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Good to know cel4145 - I was kind of worried that the PB-1000 wouldn't be enough sub for the room, but now not so much.

I don't have anywhere that sell PSB around me but I did find a place that carry Paradigm, and some other "world renowned" brands according to them, so I will check them out.

I think most of us here would probably go for a little bit more powerful sub, but it should work pretty well up to fairly loud volumes. And compared to your HTIB sub, it will be like going from a bb gun to 16 gauge shotgun. LOL

Thing is that for what the PB-1000 should run (I'm not sure on the price there), very unlikely you would find something better from Futureshop, etc. You guys just get stuck paying near MSRP for everything. Whereas the PB-1000 at the $499 price here in the US probably bests most traditional speaker company subs costing $1000 MSRP. I just got the SB-1000 for my home office for use with my computer desktop setup. It is an amazing little sub for the price, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the PB-1000 for a bigger room for the price.
jajola likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #18 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM

Liked: 14
Paradigm makes great speakers but might push your budget. If you can get HTD speakers in Canada I would recommend them all day. Very affordable and good quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought PSB is a Canadian-owned company. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them. Mind sharing what the other "world-renowned" brands are that the dealer carries so we can offer opinions?

Out of all those choices, I think your best bet would be the HTDs. It would free up more of your budget to get a better sub (or two) and a beefier receiver.
post #19 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM

Axiom Audio makes some excellent speakers and 5.1 packages. They are located in Canada and are definitely worth checking out. Their customer service is great as well. I had zero problems having my setup shipped to the states.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm86wvu View Post

Paradigm makes great speakers but might push your budget. If you can get HTD speakers in Canada I would recommend them all day. Very affordable and good quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought PSB is a Canadian-owned company. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them. Mind sharing what the other "world-renowned" brands are that the dealer carries so we can offer opinions?

Out of all those choices, I think your best bet would be the HTDs. It would free up more of your budget to get a better sub (or two) and a beefier receiver.

Thanks jm86wvu, I've noticed the Paradigms are a bit expensive. I'm not in a huge rush to get them (just impatient biggrin.gif) so maybe I can find them on sale or something. PSB is Canadian, but I just don't have any dealers anywhere close (at least according to their website). Also, I've already scored myself the Onkyo TX-NR717 for a pretty good deal.

The other brands they carry are:
- Martin Logan
- Micromega
- Niles
- Nuvo
- Roth Audio
- Belkin
- Cambridge
- Bryston
- Focal
- Anthem
- Denon
- Sharp
- Mirage
- Marantz
- Paradigm
- Samsung
- Silver Creek Audio
- Epson

I have a London Drugs near me, which carry Tannoy, Klipsch, and JBL. And I also have a Visions, Future Shop, and Best Buy near me as well, which carry brands like Polk, Energy, Martin Logan, Precision Acoustics, Mirage, Kef, Soundstage and Fluance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmten1 View Post

Axiom Audio makes some excellent speakers and 5.1 packages. They are located in Canada and are definitely worth checking out. Their customer service is great as well. I had zero problems having my setup shipped to the states.

Awesome, thanks cmten1. I checked out the website and tried using the Home Theater Wizard, but it kept spitting out a blank page when I got to the end. Any specific model recommendations? I priced out some middle of the line floorstanding, bookshelf and center speakers for right around $2k.

I'm really finding out now how crazy the selection is with speakers. Talk about a saturated market...
post #21 of 28 Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, sorry to bump my own thread, but I was wondering about Jamo speakers, and if they're any good? Specifically, the S 426 HCS 3 system. It is on for a pretty good price right now, so I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
post #22 of 28 Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure it's always around $200 on Amazon for the set. Definitely a cheap speaker package, my understanding is it's very good for the money (it's pretty hard for it not to be), but it doesn't compete with the internet direct speakers that have previously been recommended here. You could probably demo it at Best Buy.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

I'm pretty sure it's always around $200 on Amazon for the set. Definitely a cheap speaker package, my understanding is it's very good for the money (it's pretty hard for it not to be), but it doesn't compete with the internet direct speakers that have previously been recommended here. You could probably demo it at Best Buy.

That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to ask anyway. This is going to be an investment for me for many years to come, so I don't want to cheap out on it.

Unfortunately my local Best Buy doesn't have them, but I don't think these are the speakers I want anyway.
post #24 of 28 Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'd rather go cheap on the receiver than the speakers. Technology changes more on the receivers. We should have HDMI 2.0 before too long, and who knows, maybe another interface.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Yeah I'd rather go cheap on the receiver than the speakers. Technology changes more on the receivers. We should have HDMI 2.0 before too long, and who knows, maybe another interface.

Sounds good.Well luckily I've checked that off the list already, now I just need to narrow some of these speaker choices down. smile.gif
post #26 of 28 Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I know everyone recommends SVS for their subwoofers, but what about their speakers?
post #27 of 28 Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

I know everyone recommends SVS for their subwoofers, but what about their speakers?

Their Ultra line is excellent, Audioholics did a great review of them. However, they are a bit out of your budget unless you would consider a 2.1 system to start. You could take a look at the JBL L880s, they are recommended here often and you should be able to find them locally.

I will also +1 the Home Theater Direct (HTD) recommendation, you can grab a 5.0 set and try it out risk free (they pay return shipping). Also this lets you afford a more substantial subwoofer, the Rythmik LV12R would be a good choice here, or a SVS PB12-NSD.
jajola likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #28 of 28 Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Their Ultra line is excellent, Audioholics did a great review of them. However, they are a bit out of your budget unless you would consider a 2.1 system to start. You could take a look at the JBL L880s, they are recommended here often and you should be able to find them locally.

I wil also +1 the Home Theater Direct (HTD) recommendation, you can grab a 5.1 set and try it out risk free (they pay return shipping). Also this lets you afford a more substantial subwoofer, the Rythmik LV12R would be a good choice here, or a SVS PB12-NSD.

Cheers, thanks Transmaniacon. The Ultras are indeed out of my price range and I'm looking to go big all at once here rather then stretching it out for a MAX $2500. So far, you and others have given me some great things to think about. I'm basically taking everyone's suggestions now and trying to read up on each one on the tons of different threads on here.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page