Should I sell these speakers???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have 2 Technical Pro Power 1201 speakers that I used for my outdoor screen. I sold my outdoor screen but I still have the speakers. I was going to sell them but one of the buyers did not want it because of a short in one of the cables. However, after hearing the sound, I didn't want to sell them anyways. They sounded good, at least to me. I'm no audiophile. I can buy another speaker for my front 3 mains in my HT but I want to get advice first. Would these make good speakers in my HT, which is 14x12x8.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21373_Technical-Pro-POWER-1201.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I Would these make good speakers in my HT, which is 14x12x8.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21373_Technical-Pro-POWER-1201.html
They may seem OK to you, but that all depends on your frame of reference. Even for their intended application, PA, the brand has a well earned reputation of one to avoid, and where PA is concerned users are a lot less picky about sound quality than HT.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They may seem OK to you, but that all depends on your frame of reference. Even for their intended application, PA, the brand has a well earned reputation of one to avoid, and where PA is concerned users are a lot less picky about sound quality than HT.

Ok, thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do anyone know if there is any type of risk running PA speakers in a HT? I don't know if they over heat or if they can be a fire hazard after a couple of hours of playing them daily. I planned on ditching them because they are not intended for HT use. I have been trying to find a good deal on speakers and a screen, so for now I been projecting on a white wall in a velvet draped spare room. Since I only have two, I have them going through my Oppo 103 FL and RL. I set the Oppo to stereo and it plays good. I had a lot of people listen to them, my GF, sister, brother, couple of friends, direct tv guys, and all of them thought I should keep them. Just seem like it goes against everything I learned on this forum for the past year.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Sure you can run them in HT. If they were a fire hazard in HT usage, they would be a fire hazard in DJ or other pro audio event usage wink.gif

post #6 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sure you can run them in HT. If they were a fire hazard in HT usage, they would be a fire hazard in DJ or other pro audio event usage wink.gif

That's true. But I really like the sound of the ones I got. I just ordered another one for my center. Probably order more to complete my HT sound later. If I don't sell them before
post #7 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Do anyone know if there is any type of risk running PA speakers in a HT? I don't know if they over heat or if they can be a fire hazard after a couple of hours of playing them daily. I planned on ditching them because they are not intended for HT use. I have been trying to find a good deal on speakers and a screen, so for now I been projecting on a white wall in a velvet draped spare room. Since I only have two, I have them going through my Oppo 103 FL and RL. I set the Oppo to stereo and it plays good. I had a lot of people listen to them, my GF, sister, brother, couple of friends, direct tv guys, and all of them thought I should keep them. Just seem like it goes against everything I learned on this forum for the past year.

What kind of PA speakers? I just spent a week blasting house music from 3 sets of Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA speakers at Burning Man in the searing Nevada desert. Nothing caught fire ( other than my imagination ) ! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

What kind of PA speakers? I just spent a week blasting house music from 3 sets of Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA speakers at Burning Man in the searing Nevada desert. Nothing caught fire ( other than my imagination ) ! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

I had a outdoor Open Cinema screen and bought 2 Technical Pro Power 1201 speakers that were on sale. I been gathering info for the past year about what speakers to buy, because I know I was about to move and have my own man cave. I did so much research and was set on a denon avr with a 9.2 or 11.2 system. I wanted to treat the room first and figure out speaker location. I decided to see how big I can get my LED projector to see what size was acceptable on a white wall. Well, I needed sound and all I had was my PA speakers. I just plugged them into my Oppo 103 and watched Drive and Star Wars Episode III with my nephew. They sounded really good with just 2 of them. It sounded like I had surround speakers too. I know no one uses their Oppo 103 for audio, that is what the 105 is for, and no one uses PA speakers in their HT. I guess if I like it and it saves a ton of money, its not a terrible thing.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I know no one uses their Oppo 103 for audio, that is what the 105 is for, and no one uses PA speakers in their HT. I guess if I like it and it saves a ton of money, its not a terrible thing.

Why not use the Oppo 103? Bound to have a better DAC than a budget level receiver.
And I'm sure that the PA speakers have great dynamics for cranking it up.

Now you just need a killer sub to go with your speakers biggrin.gif

post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Why not use the Oppo 103? Bound to have a better DAC than a budget level receiver.
And I'm sure that the PA speakers have great dynamics for cranking it up.

Now you just need a killer sub to go with your speakers biggrin.gif

I hear the 105 is more of an AVR. I didn't know until I tried it. I can't keep believing everything I read. But these PA speakers really have my room shaking. I planned on building dual 18in subs. The house might start shaking
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page