Need speaker advice for casual tv watching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have a very nice speaker setup in my basement (2 Salk SS8s, a salk HT2C for the center, and am in the process of getting some WOW1s for surround, and 2 Rythmik F15HP subs) which I am happy with.

However, my wife doesn't really like the basement, so when we watch stuff together it is often in our living room. We used to have a sound bar/receiver/sub combo (the receiver was the sub too) which was much better than the TV speakers, but the receiver stopped working. (We had some kittens who kept chasing each other behind it & knocking all the HDMI plugs about, and eventually the HDMI output stopped working).

Anyway, its an odd space and I'm not sure what to do.

I can post some pictures if that would be helpful.
The area:
- has a corner shelf: there is a gas fireplace and on the mantle there is a small lip just big enough for a not-too-deep sound bar, and then there is a larger flat shelf further up). The TV is on the top shelf, and there isn't really room for speakers by it. I could probably rig up some sort of mount for not-too-heavy monitors and have them on the mantle area... or a sound bar.
- is open on 2 sides (for ~1/2 the wall length)

I think with where seating is set up, surround sound would be very difficult. So I'm thinking of getting some reasonable monitors, a sub, and a reciever (w/ built-in amp). But I don't need anything too fancy.
My main thing is that I want dialogue to be easier to understand.
It doesn't need to go very loud--my wife can't stand it (and if I'm not with her, I can just go use the big system in the basement).

In terms of budget, I don't have anything specific in mind. Given that I don't need super quality sound, just decent, I don't think budget will be an issue.

Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
If the budget and space is allowing, I would try the DefTech ProCinema 600 or the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers everyone raves about on here.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

If the budget and space is allowing, I would try the DefTech ProCinema 600 or the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers everyone raves about on here.

I just got the Andrew Jones speakers (SP-BS22-LR for the bookshelves) to pair with a STR-DN1040. They are great speakers, well worth the money in my opinion. You can get them on Amazon for $79.99/pair right now albeit with 1-2months to ship. A little more over at best buy.

The entire speaker line is great but do not underestimate the space they require. I was extremely surprised how large the center channel was, but this is coming from someone who had a horrible 6-year-old home theater in a box system. I don't have banana plugs to try, but have heard that they don't accept full size banana plugs. Either way, good luck! They also are recommended to be 2 feet from the wall for proper venting (though I use them closer to a foot from the wall and can't tell a difference).
post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 768
If you have a picture, that probably would help so we can see what kind of depth and height you have for the center channel. Or at least some measurements. smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page