Klipsch RF-7 II vs RF-82 II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am considering these two speakers but I'm not sure if the RF-7 II will be too much for my current set-up. I have a large room, about 8mx6m, with hardwood floors, and only part of the room is being used as the viewing/listening area. I have a BK XXLS400 sub and an Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver rated at 170w/ch.

I am looking to get tower speakers and once inherited Klipsch Forte IIs from my father and really liked them. Given the size of the room, I want a set of speakers that are easy to drive so they will be able to fill the room with relatively little distortion (at least coming from the speaker, what happens in my oddly shaped room afterwards is a different matter).

Will the RF-7 II's be too much bass - that's four 10's on the speakers and another long throw 10 on the sub? There isn't a whole lot of review data for the RF-7 II's (ie frequency response for example) and the RF-82 ii's don't seem to be in the same league as the RF-7's. However, with four 8's instead of four 10's on the speakers (and the fact that they are nearly a third the price), it may be smarter to go with the RF-82's. Below are two shots of the listening room/kitchen. Thoughts?

SanchoPanza and wilfredent like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Nice place!

Really up to you... This place rarely argues for smaller speakers. biggrin.gif
But you may have a budget in mind.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, I would rarely even consider it. My place is a condo, but exceptionally insulated (so neighbors aren't a huge consideration), but with five 10's throwing out bass into this hardwood floor, even I am thinking twice (and yes the price would mean being able to get them sooner). Plus, I wouldn't necessarily be able to place them more than maybe 60-70cm away from the wall, which could potentially exacerbate the issue.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by robithinker View Post

...Will the RF-7 II's be too much bass - that's four 10's on the speakers and another long throw 10 on the sub? There isn't a whole lot of review data for the RF-7 II's (ie frequency response for example) and the RF-82 ii's don't seem to be in the same league as the RF-7's. However, with four 8's instead of four 10's on the speakers (and the fact that they are nearly a third the price), it may be smarter to go with the RF-82's. Below are two shots of the listening room/kitchen. Thoughts?

You have a beautiful place there rob but I also feel that the upper end on either speaker could give you some problems....You have alot of flat surfaces and wood floors which makes me think without some treatment it could be pretty 'bright' sounding with Klipsch speakers.

Btw, I just recently found this thread and it has some measurements on the RF-7II:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412510/klipsch-rf7-ii-measurements
post #6 of 9 Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I have owned both these speakers and both are great ht speakers. The rf-7ii will sound a lot closer to the Forte II sound than the rf-82ii will.

Value is hard to recommend but you are looking at both and i would guess if you buy the 82s and really like them you will alway wonder what if. The 7s are a much better speaker with better everything. Yes they have bigger woofers but they also have a bigger horn and the driver in the horn is almost 2x as big too (it basically plays mid/high duty). The cabinet is huge and could probably fit two 82s in it, and its built here in the usa and not in china like the 82s.

I was very happy with the 82 home theater and I'm sure you would be too. In you home that might be the best choice if you could buy them now and not the 7s.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 240
If you want a piece of nice furniture to fit in that very nice space, then spring for the RF7. Maybe in cherry. They look amazing. smile.gif

post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I started out with the 82s and recently upgrade to the RF-7s and couldn't be happier. They do sound better in every aspect I'm my opinion. You can always EQ the bass out of the big 10" woofers if need be. I was on the other side of the coin and EQ more bass into them. The RF-7s fill the room with a ton of clear sound compared to the 82s. Don't get me wrong i still love the 82s and use them as side surrounds which work awesome. As mentioned above, you always be left wondering if you go with 82s.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I have all hardwood floors and a lot of windows and my RF 7's are not bright. For that size room get the 7's. Set the speakers to small and the port wall interaction will be much, much less since you have a subwoofer. I run my 7's set to small in a large room since I have some subs. I have tried it both way and it sounds just as good set large or small. The small setting gives me so extra overhead. I do have one area rug in the room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Rf7ii Reference Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Black B Stock , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Cherry B Stock , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page