Klipsch RF-7 II vs RF-82 II - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am considering these two speakers but I'm not sure if the RF-7 II will be too much for my current set-up. I have a large room, about 8mx6m, with hardwood floors, and only part of the room is being used as the viewing/listening area. I have a BK XXLS400 sub and an Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver rated at 170w/ch.

I am looking to get tower speakers and once inherited Klipsch Forte IIs from my father and really liked them. Given the size of the room, I want a set of speakers that are easy to drive so they will be able to fill the room with relatively little distortion (at least coming from the speaker, what happens in my oddly shaped room afterwards is a different matter).

Will the RF-7 II's be too much bass - that's four 10's on the speakers and another long throw 10 on the sub? There isn't a whole lot of review data for the RF-7 II's (ie frequency response for example) and the RF-82 ii's don't seem to be in the same league as the RF-7's. However, with four 8's instead of four 10's on the speakers (and the fact that they are nearly a third the price), it may be smarter to go with the RF-82's. Below are two shots of the listening room/kitchen. Thoughts?

SanchoPanza and wilfredent like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Nice place!

Really up to you... This place rarely argues for smaller speakers. biggrin.gif
But you may have a budget in mind.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, I would rarely even consider it. My place is a condo, but exceptionally insulated (so neighbors aren't a huge consideration), but with five 10's throwing out bass into this hardwood floor, even I am thinking twice (and yes the price would mean being able to get them sooner). Plus, I wouldn't necessarily be able to place them more than maybe 60-70cm away from the wall, which could potentially exacerbate the issue.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by robithinker View Post

...Will the RF-7 II's be too much bass - that's four 10's on the speakers and another long throw 10 on the sub? There isn't a whole lot of review data for the RF-7 II's (ie frequency response for example) and the RF-82 ii's don't seem to be in the same league as the RF-7's. However, with four 8's instead of four 10's on the speakers (and the fact that they are nearly a third the price), it may be smarter to go with the RF-82's. Below are two shots of the listening room/kitchen. Thoughts?

You have a beautiful place there rob but I also feel that the upper end on either speaker could give you some problems....You have alot of flat surfaces and wood floors which makes me think without some treatment it could be pretty 'bright' sounding with Klipsch speakers.

Btw, I just recently found this thread and it has some measurements on the RF-7II:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412510/klipsch-rf7-ii-measurements
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I have owned both these speakers and both are great ht speakers. The rf-7ii will sound a lot closer to the Forte II sound than the rf-82ii will.

Value is hard to recommend but you are looking at both and i would guess if you buy the 82s and really like them you will alway wonder what if. The 7s are a much better speaker with better everything. Yes they have bigger woofers but they also have a bigger horn and the driver in the horn is almost 2x as big too (it basically plays mid/high duty). The cabinet is huge and could probably fit two 82s in it, and its built here in the usa and not in china like the 82s.

I was very happy with the 82 home theater and I'm sure you would be too. In you home that might be the best choice if you could buy them now and not the 7s.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 264
If you want a piece of nice furniture to fit in that very nice space, then spring for the RF7. Maybe in cherry. They look amazing. smile.gif

Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I started out with the 82s and recently upgrade to the RF-7s and couldn't be happier. They do sound better in every aspect I'm my opinion. You can always EQ the bass out of the big 10" woofers if need be. I was on the other side of the coin and EQ more bass into them. The RF-7s fill the room with a ton of clear sound compared to the 82s. Don't get me wrong i still love the 82s and use them as side surrounds which work awesome. As mentioned above, you always be left wondering if you go with 82s.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have all hardwood floors and a lot of windows and my RF 7's are not bright. For that size room get the 7's. Set the speakers to small and the port wall interaction will be much, much less since you have a subwoofer. I run my 7's set to small in a large room since I have some subs. I have tried it both way and it sounds just as good set large or small. The small setting gives me so extra overhead. I do have one area rug in the room.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Addict

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to knappkd
I hate to revive such an old post, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently own the RF-82 ii's and I am able to return them for full refund for the next 35 days or so. I have found a valid authorized Klipsch dealer that is willing to sell me the RF-7II for 2,0000. I have the money to do it , but while I have the money it will still hurt spending that much because I have just spent a lot of money on a new TV, new sub, and new Klipsch speakers.

I think from what I have read on here that I would be stupid not to buy the RF-7II's; right? Also, would you all think that it would be stupid to keep the RF-82II's as my rear surround speakers and use the RF-62's as front height speakers or as mid surrounds. I have also thought of putting the RF-82II's in another room or even the garage as they still sound great. What would you all do?

The reason I started looking at the RF-7II's is because on music the singers voice is often way too bright or something at high listening levels. I want to be able to listen to my music as loud as I want and have zero fatigue and zero distortion. I have recently bought a lot of rare vinyls that I want to play. (Eagles - when hell freezes over, Pink Floyd - Pulse Album that includes dark side of the moon, a bunch of old waylon, Randy travis, Def Leppard, George Strait, Bon Jovi and Every Garth Brooks album. )

I want to play them at concert levels and really show these things off when guests are over. Everytime i have shown off the RF-82's people complain that the voices sound too bright or shrilly at high levels and the speakers could use more mid - base.

I live in OKC, OK and I can't find anywhere to be able to listen to the RF-7II's in person. Will I regret this upgrade? Should I return the RF-82II's or use them as my surround speakers.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The speaker drops in efficiency in midbass vs its high efficiency in treble. You might be running out of watts at low frequencies, thus throwing off the balance.

Bigger amp might fix that, but I would stay way under the speaker's max power handling to avoid distortion.

Naturally, the RF-7 will be a little more efficient, lower distortion, and handle more power.

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips

Last edited by Eyleron; 04-11-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 61
RF 62's as heights, I want a picture of that. I don't have the 7's, wish I did. I would be worried that if the 82's fatique you, the 7's might even be more bright. I don't know, maybe someone with the 7's can chime in. But to spend 2k on something that might be brighter to you would worry me without auditioning. What are you using for your center? As a Klipsch fan I would say buy em :-)

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Old 04-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappkd View Post
I hate to revive such an old post, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently own the RF-82 ii's and I am able to return them for full refund for the next 35 days or so. I have found a valid authorized Klipsch dealer that is willing to sell me the RF-7II for 2,0000. I have the money to do it , but while I have the money it will still hurt spending that much because I have just spent a lot of money on a new TV, new sub, and new Klipsch speakers.

I think from what I have read on here that I would be stupid not to buy the RF-7II's; right? Also, would you all think that it would be stupid to keep the RF-82II's as my rear surround speakers and use the RF-62's as front height speakers or as mid surrounds. I have also thought of putting the RF-82II's in another room or even the garage as they still sound great. What would you all do?

The reason I started looking at the RF-7II's is because on music the singers voice is often way too bright or something at high listening levels. I want to be able to listen to my music as loud as I want and have zero fatigue and zero distortion. I have recently bought a lot of rare vinyls that I want to play. (Eagles - when hell freezes over, Pink Floyd - Pulse Album that includes dark side of the moon, a bunch of old waylon, Randy travis, Def Leppard, George Strait, Bon Jovi and Every Garth Brooks album. )

I want to play them at concert levels and really show these things off when guests are over. Everytime i have shown off the RF-82's people complain that the voices sound too bright or shrilly at high levels and the speakers could use more mid - base.

I live in OKC, OK and I can't find anywhere to be able to listen to the RF-7II's in person. Will I regret this upgrade? Should I return the RF-82II's or use them as my surround speakers.
Might also want to think about the RP-280. The Ref Premiere line is not as bright as the Ref II
Old 04-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Might also want to think about the RP-280. The Ref Premiere line is not as bright as the Ref II
But if he already has the 82ii's, I can't see spending the money to "upgrade" to the same size speaker. He could wait and see if and when the new 7's come out they are not as bright also.

Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It's important to differentiate between innate timbre and frequency response that exists at low volume level...vs changes to timbre due to high drive level.

It sounds like the problem was at high levels. So it's not as simple as, "Oh, is this speaker less bright? I'll buy it."

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, tthere are RF-7 mods out there (Gago's is referenced on AVS) that improve the treble.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
Also, tthere are RF-7 mods out there (Gago's is referenced on AVS) that improve the treble.
How does it improve the treble? Would it work with the 82ii's for this guy? Can you explain what you mean by innate timbre? You are a bit over my head on your comments and wish to understand TIA

Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Old 04-11-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Hey! Fellow OKC member

I'd have a look at the Reference Premiere RP-280F. Everyone has said is a good bit more laid back than the RF-II line and sounds better overall. While the RF-7's would be nice, you've stated yourself it's probably not the best financial decision. You don't like the RF-II's....so that leaves trying the Reference Premiere. Pick them up and post some pics/impressions. Then send me a PM because I want to listen to them!! lol

Any locations around OKC carry these that you know of?

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i

Last edited by ousooner2; 04-11-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
But if he already has the 82ii's, I can't see spending the money to "upgrade" to the same size speaker. He could wait and see if and when the new 7's come out they are not as bright also.
I think there was a window that he could return the 82 II to take advantage of.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Addict

Wow. Thanks for all quick replies!!

First, I meant RS-62ii as heights not RF-62iis. Bad typo on my part.

I guess I could look at other line and I actually was until I got such a good deal on these because they are being closed out. I do love these speakers don't get me wrong at all. Part of it is that I wanted the RF-7 all along but when I purchased 3 weeks ago I didn't have the cash. Now I have the cash and can get them for only 2,000 instead of 3,2000.

I am trying to curb this urge to buy them but I am not sure that I can or should. Everybody that I know that upgraded said the extra money was well worth it. I have read that from many that got fatigue with the 82s that they did not have the same problem with the RF-7 and that it was less bright.

I think at this point I am going to stay with this line of speakers. The question is should I pull the trigger on the RF-7s for 2,000. If I do pull the trigger should I keep the RF-82s for my surrounds or even for another room or something.

My center channel is the RC-62 because the TV stand I have would not hold the 64. I am contemplating buying the 64 and putting it on a stand though.

Here is what I currently have....

Denon avr-x4000
HSU VTX-15H MK2 subwoofer (a second one will be coming soon)
RC-62ii center channel
RS-62ii surround speakers
RF-82ii tower speakers - still can return to crutchfield if I want.
78HU9000 Samsung curved TV

And of course the ability to buy the RF-7ii, from authorized klipsch dealer. They are factory sealed and come with the 5 year factory warranty.

Obviously I will need to buy an amp to power the RF-7 properly. It's crazy that they rate 250RMS. I think if I was able to give them a dedicated 140 per channel they would sound terrific though.

Last edited by knappkd; 04-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
Hey! Fellow OKC member

I'd have a look at the Reference Premiere RP-280F. Everyone has said is a good bit more laid back than the RF-II line and sounds better overall. While the RF-7's would be nice, you've stated yourself it's probably not the best financial decision. You don't like the RF-II's....so that leaves trying the Reference Premiere. Pick them up and post some pics/impressions. Then send me a PM because I want to listen to them!! lol

Any locations around OKC carry these that you know of?
Hey!

There is only a two places I can find that are supposedly Klipsch dealers in OKC, besides Best Buy. I can't ever get anyone on the phone to see when they are open and if they have a demo unit. Best Buy while an authorized dealer says they don't even carry them in-stock and don't have a demo unit in any store; including quail springs mall.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like the RF 7s are what you really want. Go for it.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Addict

Just want to clear up something I said earlier. I said that I get fatigue from my rf-82's and that is not true. I did not understand the meaning and mis-used the terminology.

Is there anyone out there that has upgraded from the 82's to the 7's that can give me their perspective? I can't find anywhere to listen to them in my area and I hate spending the extra cash if the result is not a big upgrade.

Thanks for all the comments!!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How does it improve the treble? Would it work with the 82ii's for this guy? Can you explain what you mean by innate timbre? You are a bit over my head on your comments and wish to understand TIA
The mods improve the speaker. You'll have to read. They are popular for many Klipsch afficianados.

All speakers distort the input signal. If they didn't, they would all sound the same. All speakers broadcast into the room in different patterns at different frequencies. This is the speaker's timbre.
Combined with the acoustic effects of your room, that's how the speaker will sound in your room, at any volume.

Then there's drive-level distortion. All speakers' distortion rises with the more power you give them. Their response becomes less linear.

Many Klipsch speakers are found by reviewers to be not as efficient as advertised, including the ones you are looking at.

You control volume by varying voltage. The speaker's impedance curve plot determines for any frequency, how much watts the speaker will draw from amp. An impedance dip to 4 ohms will draw 2x the watts than does 8 ohms.

The RF7 has a low impedance in midbass. It will draw more watts than one would think. This is a problem only if you are turning it up closer to reference level. Are you?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappkd View Post
Just want to clear up something I said earlier. I said that I get fatigue from my rf-82's and that is not true. I did not understand the meaning and mis-used the terminology.

Is there anyone out there that has upgraded from the 82's to the 7's that can give me their perspective? I can't find anywhere to listen to them in my area and I hate spending the extra cash if the result is not a big upgrade.

Thanks for all the comments!!
Result will be great. RF-7II is overall just better speaker. Woofers, tweeter, finish. It is why is MSRP $1599 and Rf-82II $599. So for $2000 it is nice price, so,etimes you can find it even little lower for B-stock speakers. In Klipsch forum there is some guys who did came from RF-62 or 82 to RF-7 and all of them have same result it is different league speaker and all like them a lot. I do own RF-82II and they are amazing but if I will find some outstanding deal on RF-7II's I will jump on it as well. Then I will move RF-82II to another room or to surrounds duty. In HT set up there is still importand to match center as well. So if you go RF-7II be prepare to get later on RC-64II. Center is heart of HT system ( the most important speaker for HT) for music RF-7II will be outstanding, since you have sub you will set them 60-80hz and sub will do rest.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's , RC-64II , RB-81II's , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
The mods improve the speaker. You'll have to read. They are popular for many Klipsch afficianados.

All speakers distort the input signal. If they didn't, they would all sound the same. All speakers broadcast into the room in different patterns at different frequencies. This is the speaker's timbre.
Combined with the acoustic effects of your room, that's how the speaker will sound in your room, at any volume.

Then there's drive-level distortion. All speakers' distortion rises with the more power you give them. Their response becomes less linear.

Many Klipsch speakers are found by reviewers to be not as efficient as advertised, including the ones you are looking at.

You control volume by varying voltage. The speaker's impedance curve plot determines for any frequency, how much watts the speaker will draw from amp. An impedance dip to 4 ohms will draw 2x the watts than does 8 ohms.

The RF7 has a low impedance in midbass. It will draw more watts than one would think. This is a problem only if you are turning it up closer to reference level. Are you?

Thank you, I have the 82's, not the 7's, and don't run it that loud, but your above explaination helped

Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, I have the 82's, not the 7's, and don't run it that loud, but your above explaination helped
Ah sorry conflated you with OP. Here's a review of the RF-83 (similar speaker?),showing an impedance dip to 3.6ohms at 179Hz.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah sorry conflated you with OP. Here's a review of the RF-83 (similar speaker?),showing an impedance dip to 3.6ohms at 179Hz.
I don't see the link.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops I had a bout of Unattachitis, which typically strikes during email composition.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures
Zen Traveler likes this.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oops I had a bout of Unattachitis, which typically strikes during email composition.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures
That is interesting and I haven't seen that one before.

I posted a link to Gago's thread earlier http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412510/kl...i-measurements and it shows the same thing with the RF-7IIs insofar as the impedance dip down to 3.6 Ohms. It's also closer to 94/95 dB/1 watt/ 1 meter and considered by most to be more of a 4 Ohm speaker.

Fwiw. both the RF-83 and the RF-7II still have a higher Sensitivity rating compared to most, but not as easy to drive as those number suggest...

This leads to what I've seen posted by forum members here and at Klipsch about the original RF-7 having a couple of frequency dips down to 2.6 Ohms, but never substantiated with a link--Does anyone have one?

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Rf7ii Reference Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Black B Stock , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Cherry B Stock , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Cherry