Powered center channel speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am looking for a powered center channel speaker and I have the following constraint in my environment
  1. I have 55' LCD screen for TV (not transparent) so I cannot put the speaker behind it and I cannot put huge speaker in front of it.
  2. I have an 4.1 AV system with the front are having their mono amps and the side speakers and subwoofer are powered so I do not have spare amp channel and prefer not to have to get another single mono amp.
  3. The room has around 15'x12' usable space.

So I am interested in hearing what other people are using for center channel within my constraints. But nothing is hard frozen except my living room size.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
I'm not aware of any home audio center channels that are powered. You could certainly use any powered speaker for a center channel. Most of them are in the pro audio domain. Another option would be to use a sound bar as a center channel.
post #3 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Check the Definitive Technology 8060 and 8080 centers. They are powered but based upon my experience shouldn't be placed in a "closed" space such as a shelf under the top of an AV console.
post #4 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Check the Definitive Technology 8060 and 8080 centers. They are powered but based upon my experience shouldn't be placed in a "closed" space such as a shelf under the top of an AV console.
Well according to definitivetech.com site the spec for these speakers have:
Quote:
Audio Inputs
Speaker Level 1 Pair (Speaker Cable)
LFE (optional) 1 (RCA)
So you need to provide them amp output level signal for them to work, only the subwoofer is powered, have you used them with just pre-amp output ?
post #5 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

I am looking for a powered center channel speaker and I have the following constraint in my environment
  1. I have 55' LCD screen for TV (not transparent) so I cannot put the speaker behind it and I cannot put huge speaker in front of it.
  2. I have an 4.1 AV system with the front are having their mono amps and the side speakers and subwoofer are powered so I do not have spare amp channel and prefer not to have to get another single mono amp.
  3. The room has around 15'x12' usable space.

So I am interested in hearing what other people are using for center channel within my constraints. But nothing is hard frozen except my living room size.

Thanks.

You have a 4.1 AV system. What receiver or processor are you using?

Espo77
post #6 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The Klipsch Gallery G-17 Air speaker (link) was intended to run as a Bluetooth connected powered speaker from an iPod, etc., but it has a 3.5 mm 'direct wire' connector for use with, e.g,, the headphone output from a tv. The original $500+ price was apparently too high for the real market, but I think 'remaindered' units can be found in the $160 - $200 range. Specs look quite good, but I have not heard one of these in use.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #7 of 38 Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

You have a 4.1 AV system. What receiver or processor are you using?
I have an Anthem D2 processor so it has either balanced XLR or RCA but if I use a non powered speaker, I will need to get amp for it.
post #8 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have both DefTech HD 8060 center and Klipsch RC 52.
Since I have DefTech ST 8060 I am using Klipsch RC 52 as surround.

I used Klipsch RC 52 as Center Channel (Costs around $250-295) till I got HD 8060 to match my towers in the front.
both these center channels are amazing. you may pick either of them based on your rest of the speaker set.

Thanks
post #9 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsreddy99 View Post

I have both DefTech HD 8060 center and Klipsch RC 52.
Since I have DefTech ST 8060 I am using Klipsch RC 52 as surround.

I used Klipsch RC 52 as Center Channel (Costs around $250-295) till I got HD 8060 to match my towers in the front.
both these center channels are amazing. you may pick either of them based on your rest of the speaker set.

Thanks
It says on the DefTech website for CS-8060HD:
Audio Inputs
Speaker Level1 Pair (Speaker Cable)
LFE (optional)1 (RCA)

Can you use a pre-amp output to feed it ? Can feed it into the input labeled LFE ?
post #10 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Look at powered studio monitors. Maybe to could squeeze this in http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2030R/ . Or just get a small amp like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-383 or this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812
post #11 of 38 Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 AM

Liked: 10

This is an interesting thread,, I too have a Marantz pre-amp with all pro- audio powered speakers.. Two Mackie fronts which I LOVE and 1 Klipsch sub. I'm running xlr balanced wires to the fronts,, and have always been searching for the perfect powered balanced center channel.. I thought I found it with the Mackie HR626,, but I was to late.. They don't make them anymore,,ugh.. Let me know if you find this type of speaker Anywhere,, would love to hear what you find... I guess adding another amp is always an option,, but still searching for the perfect fit.. Thanks

post #12 of 38 Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, I have not found a powered center speaker that fits my need yet. For people that have a hometheater they can use an identical speaker to their front and put it vertical behind their screen.Seaton also make an LCR powered speaker that can be use vertical or horizontal but it is too big for me.
post #13 of 38 Old 01-15-2014, 08:12 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
post #14 of 38 Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What about an Adam A77x? That would be my ideal center channel.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a77x/description

I prewired my theater for Active Monitors and I'm really leaning towards one of the following L/C/R combos:

Adam A7x / A77x / A7x

Equator D8 / D8/ D8

Yamaha MSP7 / MSP7 / MSP7

Bacon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 38 Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Thanks Bacon13,, that is the best advice i've had in three years..Much appreciated. ..Cheers
post #16 of 38 Old 01-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Tranle..Check out what Bacon13 suggested...I think it would be perfect for both of us...the wizard
post #17 of 38 Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 AM

I am also configuring an active L//C/R system. I am leaning towards Adam speakers:

A8x / A77x / A8x - A8x has better low end and more power.

then I ran across a review in Soundandvision about Emotiva Steath 8 http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-pro-stealth-8-speaker-system. They had 3 of these for the front speakers. I don't have the height room for this so I was considering the A77x :

ES8 / A77x / ES8

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Emotiva speakers?

Thanks,
Eddy
post #18 of 38 Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeabone View Post

I am also configuring an active L//C/R system. I am leaning towards Adam speakers:

A8x / A77x / A8x - A8x has better low end and more power.

then I ran across a review in Soundandvision about Emotiva Steath 8 http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-pro-stealth-8-speaker-system. They had 3 of these for the front speakers. I don't have the height room for this so I was considering the A77x :

ES8 / A77x / ES8

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Emotiva speakers?

Thanks,
Eddy

The emotiva's are supposed to be awesome. I'm not sure I would combine different brands of speakers, although the Emotiva's sure look a lot like Adam's in disguise.

I was originally going to use the Emotiva's, but due to the way my theater is setup, I can't use rear ported speakers which is why I am looking at Adam, Equator and Yamaha since they are all front ported. If you plan on crossing them over around 80Hz, then it doesn't matter, but I like to use the L/R full range with no sub for music.

If you really want to use the Emotiva's, looks like they might start making the Stealth 88 which is a MTM with dual 8" woofers. Would make a great center channel.

Bacon

post #19 of 38 Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

The emotiva's are supposed to be awesome. I'm not sure I would combine different brands of speakers, although the Emotiva's sure look a lot like Adam's in disguise.

I was originally going to use the Emotiva's, but due to the way my theater is setup, I can't use rear ported speakers which is why I am looking at Adam, Equator and Yamaha since they are all front ported. If you plan on crossing them over around 80Hz, then it doesn't matter, but I like to use the L/R full range with no sub for music.

If you really want to use the Emotiva's, looks like they might start making the Stealth 88 which is a MTM with dual 8" woofers. Would make a great center channel.

Hmmm Stealth 88... Sounds like a 60's Oldsmobile! Has it been announced?
Thanks,
Eddy
post #20 of 38 Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure it was officially announced, but they had a prototype at Emofest. You can see pictures and specs on the emotiva forums. I want to say each woofer had a dedicated 200W amp plus another 200W for the tweeter.

Bacon

post #21 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Say just a quick unconventional question,, As much as I would love the Adam A77x the height of it will not work with my cabinet structure,, soo yesterday I bought, to at least try the Adam A7x,,, I have to say I LOVE this speaker for my purposes and have not worked with it all that long... just a few pre-amp tweeks and minor work it fits and sounds perfect for me. So here is the question,, as weird as it sounds,,, two of the little guys would fit my cabinet exactly.. Do you think it would be possible to split the one center channel output to the two of them to act as one center channel?? I have been reading and searching so much,, and now loving this speaker,, it just hit me why not? I guess I would be trying to imitate the A77x sort of.. Any thoughts on this, from you or anyone else would be Greatly appreciated,, Thanks

post #22 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you are talking about splitting the line level output of your preamp it should not be a problem if your preamp can handle 1/2 of impedance of the input of one of the speaker.
I have seen a lot of rca Y cable but have not seen any Y cable for balanced (XLR) connection. In case you are using balanced interconnect.
post #23 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM

bhphotovideo.com has several different configurations of balanced XLR Y cables.

Bacon

post #24 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Great point! I have the Marantz AV8003 Pre,, and although I'm almost sure this thing can handle just about anything.. I would definately have to check the manual to make sure.. I know its kinda weird splitting a balanced connection,, but I would imagine someone has done it before right..? Thanks for the quick reply,, I now feel I have some more research to do,, but at least somewhat of a plan.. I can't tell you how thankful I am that you turned me on to the Adam speakers,, your right they are awesome.. and I know everyone would probably think I'm nuts for runnning my Mackie HR824 in the fronts... But the sound is incredibly accurate and pleasing.. I still love my Macks! and actually used now for more effect with movies and pumping vocals primarily through the Adam which has incredible clarity they complement each other very well,, Much thanks for the quick reply,, and by the way your room looks Awesome..

post #25 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the tip!

post #26 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM

and yes it has to be balanced,, i've come this far.. don't want to compromise that at this point

post #27 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry for the late response.
for Def Tech CS 8060 the pre-amp input is for the sub woofer in the center channel.
Actually you need not feed the pre-amp input as the center channel is designed to improve the bass in the voice / audio coming out of the center channel.
I did try using the preamp from my BD player and saw that its adding to the general bass effect. So to have voice focused base I just avoid it. The tower subs take care of the pre amp bass.
There is a seperate volume knob to control the center channel sub. I usually leave it at 3/4th level. The voice of Batman (in dark knight rises), male voices etc sound awesome on it.
I have given the center channel output from the Amplifier into the center channel.

For the moment I have unfairly placed the Klipsch RC 52 as side surround speaker. This speaker is very well made so kept it;).

Thanks
post #28 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM

What??? I'm confused

post #29 of 38 Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post

Great point! I have the Marantz AV8003 Pre,, and although I'm almost sure this thing can handle just about anything.. I would definately have to check the manual to make sure.. I know its kinda weird splitting a balanced connection,, but I would imagine someone has done it before right..? Thanks for the quick reply,, I now feel I have some more research to do,, but at least somewhat of a plan.. I can't tell you how thankful I am that you turned me on to the Adam speakers,, your right they are awesome.. and I know everyone would probably think I'm nuts for runnning my Mackie HR824 in the fronts... But the sound is incredibly accurate and pleasing.. I still love my Macks! and actually used now for more effect with movies and pumping vocals primarily through the Adam which has incredible clarity they complement each other very well,, Much thanks for the quick reply,, and by the way your room looks Awesome..
Coincidentally, I also have HR824s as my front LR speakers. I was going to move them to surround LR side speakers. And like I said earlier, either Adam A8x| A77x| A8x or Emotiva
ES8 / A77x / ES8 for LCR speakers.

Thanks
post #30 of 38 Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Say,, I'm looking for some better speaker stands for the Mackie HR824's,, the current ones are not really built for that heavy of speaker.. and have always been curious what others are using? I'm certain I would get even better sound with just the physics of a more stout stand...

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page