Search for an LCR upgrade for ~$3000 - Ascend, Zu, Tekton, SVS or other? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Maybe he want a tower because many bookshelf cant reach 80hz with authority.

Even if bookshelf speakers can only get down to 100hz if you have some good subs integrated properly into your system you'd never even know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what its worth I think the Sierra towers and center do an amazing job with home theater. Much more dynamic than what I thought they would be. I purchased mine to replace the ascend 340se setup and it was a huge leap forward. Not only do they make music sound incredible, but movies are very lifelike, and they immerse you in the sound. They also sound physically larger then they actually are, I was very impressed with the sound the 5.25" drivers were able to produce.

Before I settled on the Sierras I was on the fence trying to decide between the SVS Ultras, and the Salk Song Towers. I think either of those would be great, but I'm happy I landed on the Ascends. Personally I would steer away from the Tektons based on what I've heard about customer service/fulfillment issues.
post #33 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondhenry View Post

For what its worth I think the Sierra towers and center do an amazing job with home theater. Much more dynamic than what I thought they would be. I purchased mine to replace the ascend 340se setup and it was a huge leap forward. Not only do they make music sound incredible, but movies are very lifelike, and they immerse you in the sound. They also sound physically larger then they actually are, I was very impressed with the sound the 5.25" drivers were able to produce.

Before I settled on the Sierras I was on the fence trying to decide between the SVS Ultras, and the Salk Song Towers. I think either of those would be great, but I'm happy I landed on the Ascends. Personally I would steer away from the Tektons based on what I've heard about customer service/fulfillment issues.

Yeah, I definitely second the opinion that you should steer clear of Tekton speakers.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #34 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
You said: aesthetics will play a part in this decision, for better or worse.

I don't know why the zu and tekton are in this category.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
post #35 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
OP: Have you looked at Monitor Audio GX200? That should leave you enough for gold center.

I'd estimate that the GX series would be a huge improvement over your current and probably better than most of the other options. Also, they're quite nice aesthetically. I don't think you'll find a better fit or finish. On my Silvers you can even see seams or fold over for the rosenut finish. I'm very impressed with them.
post #36 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondhenry View Post

Extremely helpful, thank you. Good to know I'm not completely out to lunch with the options I'm looking at. My next step is to indeed contact the powers-that-be at SVS and Ascend and see what they recommend, as another poster suggested.
post #37 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You said: aesthetics will play a part in this decision, for better or worse.

I don't know why the zu and tekton are in this category.

Haha - you're a straight shooter eh? Always refreshing smile.gif

Quite honestly, I think the Zu's are beautiful. The Tekton's a lot less so, but was just so damn intrigued by all the good hype and press, particularly surround the new Enzo's (the Pendragons would be farrrrrrrr too big for my space)

My friend got me onto the Zu's when they were producing their Dirty Weekend Omen speaker, and but it looks like they`re out of them. Some good reviews and positive feedback from owners made me consider them.
post #38 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ not to mention, but don't expect any grills if you went with Tekton speakers!...lol
post #39 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

OP: Have you looked at Monitor Audio GX200? That should leave you enough for gold center.

I'd estimate that the GX series would be a huge improvement over your current and probably better than most of the other options. Also, they're quite nice aesthetically. I don't think you'll find a better fit or finish. On my Silvers you can even see seams or fold over for the rosenut finish. I'm very impressed with them.

Beautiful speakers, and I assume you mean the RX/Silvers, not the GX...for the towers anyway (the GX/Golds are far beyond my budget)

Monitor do have a distributor within a couple hours of me here in Southern Ontario, which is a bonus...but I guess I felt the Ascends, for example, came with higher quality components for around the same price (even an option for a ribbon). Plus to get a quality designed Monitor center (ie. not a linear MTM), like you're saying, you'd have to step up to the Golds. Just seemed like the Ascend package was the slicker and better integrated choice.
post #40 of 55 Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1717 View Post

Beautiful speakers, and I assume you mean the RX/Silvers, not the GX...for the towers anyway (the GX/Golds are far beyond my budget)

Monitor do have a distributor within a couple hours of me here in Southern Ontario, which is a bonus...but I guess I felt the Ascends, for example, came with higher quality components for around the same price (even an option for a ribbon). Plus to get a quality designed Monitor center (ie. not a linear MTM), like you're saying, you'd have to step up to the Golds. Just seemed like the Ascend package was the slicker and better integrated choice.

Might as well try the Ascends then. Couldn't hurt... and at best you'll love 'em.

post #41 of 55 Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

It sounds like you've got Ascent on the mind. You should get some. I didn't realize those prices that I posted were each, sorry about that. I think an RX setup would be quite extraordinary and I don't think you'll find a better finish than the way Monitor Audio makes them. I can't even see where the veneer is on my speakers, sound quality is incredible, and like you... Looks were important to me, so I am very pleased.

I don't believe I saw them mentioned; however, did you look into Salk SongTowers? They're in your range and are supposedly phenomenal. I don't like the asymmetry of their unbalanced design though.
post #42 of 55 Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that he wants more for the music experience and less for the movie experience.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
post #43 of 55 Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Or get three JTR Single 8HTs. Good fit with the budget.

Quote:

I've taken a look at the JTRs previously - way too damn ugly and utilitarian for my taste. Like I said, aesthetics will play a part in this decision, for better or worse smile.gif

To the first poster - already have a good sub: SVS PB12-plus. Second one down the road....maybe.

Really just interested in replacing the front 3. I don't believe it's as crucial to match the surrounds, and the one's I have I'm perfectly happy with.
If you are looking for some of the best H/T speakers the, JTR 228's are one of the best dynamic speakers you are going to find. I was about aesthetics on my last speaker search and I was going with the Salk HT3's, but changed my mind and went with the JTR Noesis 212's, because they are the speakers that fit my needs. I actually think that the JTR's look great in a theater setting, I put sound before looks. You could also look at Klipsch. They are a very good H/T speaker and I think the Klipsch have a nice look to them. The RF7 II's were another speaker that were on my short list
post #44 of 55 Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Also this beast for HT.

post #45 of 55 Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

It sounds like you've got Ascent on the mind. You should get some. I didn't realize those prices that I posted were each, sorry about that. I think an RX setup would be quite extraordinary and I don't think you'll find a better finish than the way Monitor Audio makes them. I can't even see where the veneer is on my speakers, sound quality is incredible, and like you... Looks were important to me, so I am very pleased.

I don't believe I saw them mentioned; however, did you look into Salk SongTowers? They're in your range and are supposedly phenomenal. I don't like the asymmetry of their unbalanced design though.

My research thus far pointed to the Ascends and Salks being fairly close in quality with the ascends possibly going a bit deeper. Also, the Ascend center seems like the better speaker. It's not that I'm set on the Ascends, but I do admit they have a lot of fervent support for them by their owners, they're pretty smile.gif My chief worries for them is that there doesn't appear to be a lot of professional reviews for them, and that they're not dynamic enough (more suited for music than HT). I couple posters thus far seem to have assuaged my fears on the latter point though, while simultaneously pointing out that Zu and Tekton may not be the best alternatives. I did read that there is a significant anti-Tekton bias on this site though, although I'm not sure that's just plain old placebo.
Quote:

I guess that he wants more for the music experience and less for the movie experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

If you are looking for some of the best H/T speakers the, JTR 228's are one of the best dynamic speakers you are going to find. I was about aesthetics on my last speaker search and I was going with the Salk HT3's, but changed my mind and went with the JTR Noesis 212's, because they are the speakers that fit my needs. I actually think that the JTR's look great in a theater setting, I put sound before looks. You could also look at Klipsch. They are a very good H/T speaker and I think the Klipsch have a nice look to them. The RF7 II's were another speaker that were on my short list

Quote:

Also this beast for HT.

The new speakers are definitely more for H/T than music. I hadn't considered some of the other options people are bringing up that are more "suited" for HT, but it seems they're predominantly way beyond what I'm willing to spend.

My buddy has a real hard-on for the rf-7's actually. My initial thoughts on them (or the previous 83s) are they are much too large for my current space. However, I could put them on the list: I also need to go listen to a good Klipsch speaker to find out if the horn is a sound I'd like. While I'm not overly picky, I have read enough posts on here to know that many people just find it far too bright and fatiguing.
post #46 of 55 Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Fwiw...I'm in the GTA.....I know Southern Ontario covers a lot of territory...lol... but if your inclined to audition the Ascend drop me a line or PM. My set up consists of NrT Towers with RAAL equipped STC....I'd say for home theather usage the NrT domes at least to my ears are more dyanamic but you can't beat the clarity or precision of the RAAL for dialouge or music if you go that route.

Re: Bill...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #47 of 55 Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My research thus far pointed to the Ascends and Salks being fairly close in quality with the ascends possibly going a bit deeper. Also, the Ascend center seems like the better speaker. It's not that I'm set on the Ascends, but I do admit they have a lot of fervent support for them by their owners, they're pretty smile.gif My chief worries for them is that there doesn't appear to be a lot of professional reviews for them, and that they're not dynamic enough (more suited for music than HT). I couple posters thus far seem to have assuaged my fears on the latter point though, while simultaneously pointing out that Zu and Tekton may not be the best alternatives. I did read that there is a significant anti-Tekton bias on this site though, although I'm not sure that's just plain old placebo.

The new speakers are definitely more for H/T than music. I hadn't considered some of the other options people are bringing up that are more "suited" for HT, but it seems they're predominantly way beyond what I'm willing to spend.

My buddy has a real hard-on for the rf-7's actually. My initial thoughts on them (or the previous 83s) are they are much too large for my current space. However, I could put them on the list: I also need to go listen to a good Klipsch speaker to find out if the horn is a sound I'd like. While I'm not overly picky, I have read enough posts on here to know that many people just find it far too bright and fatiguing.

Klipsch speaker units below the THX Ultra2 home theater reference models are not ones I would put on any short list. Harsh and fatiguing and the sound is unnaturally colored IMHO. I'd go with the Ascend Sierra's before consumer Klipsch speakers any day. And in a smaller room without proper acoustic treatments (especially absorption), tweeters with metal compression driven horns are usually not a good fit.

post #48 of 55 Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Of the (many excellent) speakers mentioned so far in this price range, IMHO for home theater the Sierra Horizon Center might give Ascend a bit of an edge.

Caveat though is I haven't heard any Zu speakers yet - though I really want to wink.gif
post #49 of 55 Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Steve...PM received and reply sent....looking forward to meeting with you.

Bill...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

post #50 of 55 Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Of the (many excellent) speakers mentioned so far in this price range, IMHO for home theater the Sierra Horizon Center might give Ascend a bit of an edge.

Caveat though is I haven't heard any Zu speakers yet - though I really want to wink.gif

Thanks Bill, I will get back to you shortly once I listen to a few I have access to around here. Love your setup btw.

Had the pleasure of listening to the Klipsch RF-7 II's on Friday. Man do they ever kick ass. Humungous, but I think they'd be excellent as an HT speaker, and they look gorgeous in the cherry...AND a pretty awesome center in the RC-64.

Decisions decisions.
Billy p and losservatore like this.
post #51 of 55 Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you like the Klipsch, I think you'll like the Sierra's even better. They're just more natural and refined sounding.

post #52 of 55 Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bill, I will get back to you shortly once I listen to a few I have access to around here. Love your setup btw.

Decisions decisions.

Hi Steve...you have a PM & l'll do my best to accommodate you...smile.gif

post #53 of 55 Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Steve, It was nice meeting you and Matt this evening. I hope, in the short time you had to audition the Ascend Towers, it was sufficient enough and now left you somewhat confused... as to what to do... next. I told you the Ascends would not have the same dynamics or the power handling capabilities of the RF7s but they did enough that you might have to rethink the Klipsch purchase.

I know one of your concerns was the actual size of the 2 said speakers with the RF7s being the much larger of the two in that they could create location/or placement issues for your HT. This will be a tough decision....I know... but I have offered to package up my Towers and visit your home with them... this offer still stands and Matt would like to come over as well if I make the trek? Although he did make fun of the fact my house wasn't sound proof well enough.... when I was cranking A Perfect Circle "The Noose" he could hear from across the street were he parked his car...lol.The mid bass slam on that track IMO is amazing and its gotta be loud...lol.

Anyways....Matt left my place around 11:20 it was neat talking with him...my hope is you take me up on my offer...keep in touch and I hope you arrived home safely...its a long drive home from my place.

Regards, Bill...smile.gif

post #54 of 55 Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Go with your gut and try the Ascend Sierra Towers and Horizon Center (with a projector, I wouldn't go with a glossy finish on the front speakers) if you're worried about looks... don't bother with the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade for home theater usage. I'd say they're a definite improvement over the Energy's for movies and music.

If you want pulse pounding theater sound (loud and punchy), most speakers available that fit that category are going to look utilitarian. That's just the way it is.

???

RAAL tweeter is whats gonna give the speakers its effortless dynamics. How do you figure RAAL wont fit with HT?

For 100% HT, since you dont like the look of the JTR's, I recommend the Tektons.
post #55 of 55 Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

???

RAAL tweeter is whats gonna give the speakers its effortless dynamics. How do you figure RAAL wont fit with HT?

For 100% HT, since you dont like the look of the JTR's, I recommend the Tektons.

Even Ascend says that if you're strictly using the Sierra speakers for HT use you're betting off getting the NrT dome tweeter, it's better suited for movies.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page