Best L/C/R combo for Movie+Music <$3500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi All,

I've been looking to replace my current front speakers in preparation of my new HT build. I am looking for speakers which will sound good for BOTH movies and music (60/40) plus sound good at higher power since the room will be on the larger size ( ~ 22Wx28Lx10H). In each case it would be the towers plus their matching center speaker.

Despite having a vary capable sub arrangement (8x Fi318's in an IB), I still want the towers to have decent bass response.

I have considered the following :

* Klipsch RF-7II + RC-64II
* Tekton Pendragon + Center
* Paradigm Studio 100 + CC690
* Zu Audio Omen Def + Center
* Aperio Verus Grand + Center
* Sierra Tower + Horizon
* GoldenEar Triton Two + Supersat 60C
* SVS Ultras

I think i have narrowed my search to the first three above, but really not sure. I was sure I wanted to get the Tekton until I read several people were waiting 4, 5, 6 months for their speakers....I also considered JTR (he's probably 45min from my home) but they just look plain ugly. These speakers will be in the room. The Tektons are pretty plain as well, but not as much as the JTR's.

Input form people who have had experience with two or more of the above would be GREAT!

Thanks all,
Rob

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would drive to listen to those JTR speakers since you are so close. JTR 212 or 228 came to my mind when I see your thread title. I don't think they are ugly, just not slick looking but they sound very very good with music and movie.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
If you're only a 45min drive from JTR you at least owe it to yourself to go demo some 228HT's. and Jeff also offers soe nice veneer options for his speakers to increase the WAF.

I've personally heard the RF-7II's & RC-64 and did like them and I had the chance to actually demo the Studio 100's & CC-690 in my theatre for just over a week and I would still take my 228HT's over either of the other setups. I did like the Klipsch's over the Paradigm speakers.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to listen to the Klipsch Reference RF-7's and loved them. I definitely think they will be my next set of speakers, when I decide to purchase them. Although im sure your aware some people say there a little bright, I really liked the way they sounded, and they definitely can fill a room, if you have a larger room to fill. I don't think they look bad at all either, and they seemed to play fairly low as well, so depending on what you like you may not even need a sub.

I cant comment on the other options as I haven't heard them in person, but the Klipsch definitely are one of my favorites at the moment.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit: Just saw your sub section, so you definitely don't have a problem with subs, that's for sure haha. But I think the Klipsch do a decent job of playing low on their own.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Since you are taken care of with respect to bass, there is no point on getting tower speakers which spend so much of their resources trying to cover that range as well. Your money will go further in terms of performance with speakers that concentrate on sound above 80 Hz. I would go with Pi Threes or Fours or JBL LSR6332s. The Pi speakers will give you incredible dynamic range, on the level of JTR, and the JBLs will give you extremely neutral sound. They JBLs cost about $1550 each, they are THX pm3 certified, which means they have such high sound quality that they can be used to produce THX soundtracks on. The Pi speakers will cost you from $1k to $2k each, depending on what options you upgrade to. They measure very well, maybe not quite as perfectly as the JBLs but very good, and they will have real reference level dynamics.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If you're only a 45min drive from JTR you at least owe it to yourself to go demo some 228HT's. and Jeff also offers soe nice veneer options for his speakers to increase the WAF.

I've personally heard the RF-7II's & RC-64 and did like them and I had the chance to actually demo the Studio 100's & CC-690 in my theatre for just over a week and I would still take my 228HT's over either of the other setups. I did like the Klipsch's over the Paradigm speakers.

I've actually read that in more than one place (regarding the RF7 over the 100's). The WAF does not factor into this room, so not a problem there, it's me who wants the speaker to look nice since it is what will be seen when listening to music. Do you listen to a lot of music on the JTR's?

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Since you are taken care of with respect to bass, there is no point on getting tower speakers which spend so much of their resources trying to cover that range as well. Your money will go further in terms of performance with speakers that concentrate on sound above 80 Hz. I would go with Pi Threes or Fours or JBL LSR6332s. The Pi speakers will give you incredible dynamic range, on the level of JTR, and the JBLs will give you extremely neutral sound. They JBLs cost about $1550 each, they are THX pm3 certified, which means they have such high sound quality that they can be used to produce THX soundtracks on. The Pi speakers will cost you from $1k to $2k each, depending on what options you upgrade to. They measure very well, maybe not quite as perfectly as the JBLs but very good, and they will have real reference level dynamics.

I looked at options from DIY Soundgroup and Pi. I'm not really into stand mounted speakers for the mains. Want something a little more topple-proof. Those JBLs look nice, but again would require a stand, and at 3x would be beyond my budget. I want the main L/R to be capable to play music on their own, for the most part.

I also researched the new L/C/R from SVS. Definitely a nice looking speaker, but not sure how great they are compared to others on my list.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

I've actually read that in more than one place (regarding the RF7 over the 100's). The WAF does not factor into this room, so not a problem there, it's me who wants the speaker to look nice since it is what will be seen when listening to music. Do you listen to a lot of music on the JTR's?

Admittedly I don't, but when I have I did think they sounded great. There are other owners of the 228HT's that think they sound great with music too.

You're in a bit of a unique situation because you're so close to JTR speakers, a lot of guys who consider them have to buy bind because you can't just go walk in to store and listen to them. I had to buy mine on a leap of faith, like I said at the very least you should contact Jeff and go hear some.

Like I said he does offer some nice veneer options, and you could have some stands made too and also done in a veneered finish.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I looked at options from DIY Soundgroup and Pi. I'm not really into stand mounted speakers for the mains. Want something a little more topple-proof. Those JBLs look nice, but again would require a stand, and at 3x would be beyond my budget. I want the main L/R to be capable to play music on their own, for the most part.

I also researched the new L/C/R from SVS. Definitely a nice looking speaker, but not sure how great they are compared to others on my list.

Quote:

Hi All,

I've been looking to replace my current front speakers in preparation of my new HT build. I am looking for speakers which will sound good for BOTH movies and music (60/40) plus sound good at higher power since the room will be on the larger size ( ~ 22Wx28Lx10H). In each case it would be the towers plus their matching center speaker.

Despite having a vary capable sub arrangement (8x Fi318's in an IB), I still want the towers to have decent bass response.

I have considered the following :

* Klipsch RF-7II + RC-64II
* Tekton Pendragon + Center
* Paradigm Studio 100 + CC690
* Zu Audio Omen Def + Center
* Aperio Verus Grand + Center
* Sierra Tower + Horizon
* GoldenEar Triton Two + Supersat 60C

I think i have narrowed my search to the first three above, but really not sure. I was sure I wanted to get the Tekton until I read several people were waiting 4, 5, 6 months for their speakers....I also considered JTR (he's probably 45min from my home) but they just look plain ugly. These speakers will be in the room. The Tektons are pretty plain as well, but not as much as the JTR's.

Input form people who have had experience with two or more of the above would be GREAT!

Thanks all,
Rob

I can't comment on all the speakers on your list, but I did demo the Zu, GE Triton 2 and 3, Paradigm Studio 60, Aperion Versus Grand and the SVS Ultra towers. I was looking for 2.0 for music mostly and ended up with SVS. I have been quite happy with them. They play loud and seem to stay composed very well. Actually, I like them a bit better at med to high volumes compared to low. I have watched some movies and the dialogue has been very clear w/o a center. I found the bass on the GE was a bit boomy. Also, I am not a big fan of their center speaker. I thought the Paradigms were not very rich sounding, IMO. The Aperion VGT I only heard at RMAF, and I liked them, but ended up with SVS due to a bit better low end. I didn't like the Zu room at RMAF, but I am not sure which model they had playing. Anyway, I think the Ultras are worth considering. In the end, it is best to listen to as many as you can, so I would also recommend going to JTR.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am a big fan of buying used. More bang for the buck.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

I can't comment on all the speakers on your list, but I did demo the Zu, GE Triton 2 and 3, Paradigm Studio 60, Aperion Versus Grand and the SVS Ultra towers. I was looking for 2.0 for music mostly and ended up with SVS. I have been quite happy with them. They play loud and seem to stay composed very well. Actually, I like them a bit better at med to high volumes compared to low. I have watched some movies and the dialogue has been very clear w/o a center. I found the bass on the GE was a bit boomy. Also, I am not a big fan of their center speaker. I thought the Paradigms were not very rich sounding, IMO. The Aperion VGT I only heard at RMAF, and I liked them, but ended up with SVS due to a bit better low end. I didn't like the Zu room at RMAF, but I am not sure which model they had playing. Anyway, I think the Ultras are worth considering. In the end, it is best to listen to as many as you can, so I would also recommend going to JTR.

I too have read the same regarding the GE 2's sounding boomy....I meant to put the SVS on my list too. Good to hear you really like them! But you don't have the matching center, correct?

I would want to know how the front 3 hold up at ref level in a large room during a movie.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMovieNut View Post

I am a big fan of buying used. More bang for the buck.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut

I'm not a huge fan of buying used electronics. I suppose speakers could be played with various material at low and high volumes. They either work, or they crack/pop.....Most manufactures warranties are not transferable with respect to speakers.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'll admit, those look nicer than other examples from JTR I have seen. But I don't know which models those are in the pics above, and judging from their size would probably exceed my budget.

Which models are those?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

I'll admit, those look nicer than other examples from JTR I have seen. But I don't know which models those are in the pics above, and judging from their size would probably exceed my budget.

Which models are those?

They just look badass right?! Those are the Quintuple. Since the Noesis 212's and 228's were added to the range, the Q's were removed from the main JTR product page. However, I believe Jeff will still build them to order. They used to be about the same price as the Triple 12, so about $1600 each.

This JTR forum thread has more details.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which models are those?

That model is the Quintuples, it's still available but its a special order.
I just used those two pictures to show you some of the veneer options Jeff offers. You could have the Noesis 228HT's done in any of those veneered finishes.

Like I said, you're crazy if you don't contact Jeff and at least make the 45min drive to go hear some of his speakers.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Another vote for JTR. The Noesis 212 or 228 would be my pick with the Triple 12 in a close second. Or the Triple 8 for less money. Also look into the Seaton Catalysts that are an active speaker. They sound excellent with music too. JTR or Seaton you can't go wrong.

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi there let me know what speakers you choose I am in the same predicament I have a svs pb13 and love it I am thinking of going with the svs ultra tower. I mostly whatch TV movies probably 95percent I really like the way Martin Logan sound the ethos but I am not paying that much for speakers good luck
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just listened to the ge triton two and I'm impressed on how they sound great with music I was hopping to hear the super center but he had it in a box not set up I am thinking of buying the triton two
Old 11-15-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 874
One more vote to at least go demo the JTR since you live so close. Jeff has a listening room and likes to use it. If you don't like em - you lose nothing. Move forward. My bet is they'll be the best sounding speakers you've ever heard. BTW - Jeff also has a you'll love em guarantee. He lets you get a full refund, but you have to pay shipping both ways. Since you live so close - shipping wouldn't enter the picture - so for you - it would be the same in home trial period - you'd just have to drive to and from if you decided against them.

If you end up going tell Jeff to go easy on the volume before he shows you their true capability. He's known to be a bit...um....enthusiastic with the volumes. smile.gif

Go, listen - report back either way.

I liked the SVS ultra towers - I've heard them now at a couple meets. They are a good looking speaker, but are not capable of anywhere near the same SPL levels as the JTR -- if that's at all a consideration in your search. I've also heard many of the Klipsch products including the THX Ultra 2 line -- and I like them. Yet I think the JTR edge out the Klipsch as well - and that's after some A/B testing with several Klipch units against my 228HT. If you want a full range speaker then the JTR is not your huckleberry. They are designed to be used with capable subs and crossover at 60-80hz depending on model.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint