Anyone heared Elac speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
coli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like they got some pretty interesting technologies.

Here's a ribbon coax driver:
http://elac.ro/ELAC_technology.html#ELAC_X-JET
coli is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Member
 
denon a1xva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amsterdam/ The Netherlands / Europe
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an Elac system at home. They are great speakers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

Looks like they got some pretty interesting technologies.

Here's a ribbon coax driver:
http://elac.ro/ELAC_technology.html#ELAC_X-JET
denon a1xva is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
NewHTbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I briefly heard a bookshelf pair at a store, not sure which model? I was impressed with the sound. Not sure how they would compare value wise with ID offerings but they did sound good.

NewHTbuyer is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I currently own a pair of fs208 Anniversary Edition and a pair of bs204.2, as part of a HT setup. Both driven with a Rotel RSX1067. I'll try to review them both below.

For starters, I should say that I have a 13 year history in pro audio and recording studio's. So I listen differently than most people and pay more attention than most to frequency spectrum balance. Where many people like big bass, I prefer deep bass that's well balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum. I also prefer a neutral, uncoloured sound with dynamics and transient behaviour that presents a believable, life like sound stage and a level of resolution that reveals low-level details. It should sound a great deal like it sounded in the studio.

Elac is a good product, but you have to dig the sound. I would characterize it as a bit "technological" as opposed to "musical". Elac is a thouroughly German speaker: well engineered and packed with advanced technoloy. Take the JET-III tweeter, for example. It's great, extremely quick and sounds fantastic. It's also found in other high-end brands, and even in studio monitors from Adam Audio, Eve Audio (I kid you not!) and Unity Audio.

There is a bunch of good technology found in these speakers. But on the other hand, Elac cut corners to save on production costs. For example: the entire cross-over of both models of speakers, is made with electrolytic capacitors - while everyone in the audio industry knows that even cheap film capacitors sound way better: more transparent because they are electrically quicker which translates to better transient handling.

The Elac fs208a has powerful and really deep bass (true 29Hz - I measured it) and in most cases doesn't require a subwoofer. With movies these speakers sound absolutely fantastic! Great dynamics, real deapth and slam in the low end, good mid-range resolution and a detailed and quick top end. And they'll go LOUD! But with music I believe they'll have to admit defeat to my smaller Dynaudio Audience 122's. Even though the low end isn't as well dimensioned in the Dynaudio's, the overall tonal balance is much more believable. The Dynaudio's sound more like music and less like good sound. Also, voices (and spoken word in particular, like dialogs in movies) sound much more believeable with the Dynaudio's. Male voices sound a little thin and disembodied through the Elac's.

The Elac fs208a's still are quite good speakers, but their frequency response is a bit "scooped": looks a bit like a smiley-face. Good, solid low end, fast and incredibly detailed treble, but in comparison the mid-range seems a bit recessed. When I first hooked these speakers to my NAD amp, I though "WOW!! Immense amounts of detail!" But after a while I came to realise it was just the tweeter that played way too loud. Fortunately Elac lets you adjust tweeter level by setting a jumper on the cross-over. So I set it down a notch. I still think it's a bit too loud, but I can live with it much better now. The bass, however, was a mess and all over the place: no definition, I wasn't able to distinguish between kick drum rumble and low bass instruments. I swapped my NAD T752 for a Rotel RSX 1067 and things improved massively. Much tighter low end, a little more extension and much more control. This implies the Elac speakers need a high quality, stable amplifier. But with a minimum impedance of 3.2Ohms, that seems only logical.

The bs204.2 is definitely a part of the Elac family: near identical sound (also "scooped"), although you can hear it's a smaller speaker. It has less power and extension in the bass range, a bit less resolution in the mid range and near identical treble. Obviously it handles dynamic peaks a little less well than it's bigger brother. But in smaller rooms, these small speakers can still conjure up a great sound.

I think Elac is a master in producing low bass from small speakers. Even for it's size, the fs208 plays lower than you'd expect. The same goes for the bs204.2. It sounds quite a bit larger than it actually is - especially at lower volumes. The downside is a little flabby and undefined low end. But if you use the supplied bungs to close the bass port, you'll be rewarded with a little more extension and a much better behaved bass response. The output in the bass range drops a dB or 2 in the usable range. But in my opinion that's a good thing. I do think the fs208a projects a larger, more 3D sound stage than the smaller bs204.2. Usually it's the other way around. But this might have to do with positioning.

All in all the Elac fs208 is good speaker. It's got a sound quality you (may) have (to learn) to like, but it has a few strong selling points. Personally, I prefer the more natural sound of Dynaudio. But I do reccomend a thorough listening session to anyone who's looking for new speakers. The newer Elac offerings sound very "hi-fi", but in a good way. A little more mid-forward than my older speakers. They're not as ruthlessly unforgiving as Dynaudio, but should still offer very much sound for a good price.
jamesblond is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Member
 
denon a1xva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amsterdam/ The Netherlands / Europe
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First i would like to inform that the jet tweeter is not a ribbon tweeter but an air motion technology.

The only ribbon tweeter Elac uses is in the PI tweeter. Adam Audio and other brands use ribbon no jet.


I used to have the FS 207.2 , the FS 210 , the FS 210 CE and now the top model FS 609 CE together with the BS 243.

Elac speakers are really neutral and very musical and this all depends on the rest of the chain. Rotel is absolutely no match with Elac.

I have compared the Dynaudio C1 to the BS 243 and sold the Dynaudio. Way too expensive and the tweeter wasn't any better than the JET 3 tweeter. They are both as neutral and musical.
denon a1xva is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post

First i would like to inform that the jet tweeter is not a ribbon tweeter but an air motion technology.

The only ribbon tweeter Elac uses is in the PI tweeter. Adam Audio and other brands use ribbon no jet.


I used to have the FS 207.2 , the FS 210 , the FS 210 CE and now the top model FS 609 CE together with the BS 243.

Elac speakers are really neutral and very musical and this all depends on the rest of the chain. Rotel is absolutely no match with Elac.

I have compared the Dynaudio C1 to the BS 243 and sold the Dynaudio. Way too expensive and the tweeter wasn't any better than the JET 3 tweeter. They are both as neutral and musical.

I really don't agree with you that Elac is just as neutral and musical as Dynaudio. And of course there is a reason why Dynaudio is found frequently in many big, high quality recording studio's, and Elac isn't. I really prefer Dynaudio, because it's way easier to listen to for longer periods. To my ears, they don't scream for attention the way Elac's do. For home listening, it all a matter of taste and personal preference, I guess. I'm planning to sell all my Elac's and transition to small Dynaudio Contour s-series. If I had known earlier you were swapping C1's for Elac, I'd have been willing to trade you my fs208a's for your C1's! biggrin.gif

And Elac, Unity Audio, Eve Audio and Adam Audio all use the same Air Motion Transformer tweeter. They just brand the technology differently, although Unity Audio openly states they use Elac drivers in their "the Rock" and "the Boulder" models. But you're right in that the term "Ribbon tweeter" is incorrectly used for the JET-III.

Also, I'd like to point out that I was quite dissapointed to discover that the driver baskets are made from plastic, rather than aluminium of some other strong metal. This is at least the case in my speakers.
jamesblond is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Member
 
denon a1xva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amsterdam/ The Netherlands / Europe
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Elac works the best with Marantz, Denon , Primare and also Audionet is a good match.

My Elac´s don't scream at all so i really can't agree with you on this point, and the 208 is an older model. The new lines are better.

I liked the C1 and they bring a great performance, but they are too expensive.

Here the Elac's are very neutral. If you have screaming Elac's you better try some other amplifiers. Elac is very detailed that's true but screaming no. To my experience a Focal Electra 1027 BE is a screaming speaker. Really terrible.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post

I really don't agree with you that Elac is just as neutral and musical as Dynaudio. And of course there is a reason why Dynaudio is found frequently in many big, high quality recording studio's, and Elac isn't. I really prefer Dynaudio, because it's way easier to listen to for longer periods. To my ears, they don't scream for attention the way Elac's do. For home listening, it all a matter of taste and personal preference, I guess. I'm planning to sell all my Elac's and transition to small Dynaudio Contour s-series. If I had known earlier you were swapping C1's for Elac, I'd have been willing to trade you my fs208a's for your C1's! biggrin.gif

And Elac, Unity Audio, Eve Audio and Adam Audio all use the same Air Motion Transformer tweeter. They just brand the technology differently, although Unity Audio openly states they use Elac drivers in their "the Rock" and "the Boulder" models. But you're right in that the term "Ribbon tweeter" is incorrectly used for the JET-III.

Also, I'd like to point out that I was quite dissapointed to discover that the driver baskets are made from plastic, rather than aluminium of some other strong metal. This is at least the case in my speakers.
denon a1xva is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Member
 
jamesblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post

Elac works the best with Marantz, Denon , Primare and also Audionet is a good match.

My Elac´s don't scream at all so i really can't agree with you on this point, and the 208 is an older model. The new lines are better.

I liked the C1 and they bring a great performance, but they are too expensive.

Here the Elac's are very neutral. If you have screaming Elac's you better try some other amplifiers. Elac is very detailed that's true but screaming no. To my experience a Focal Electra 1027 BE is a screaming speaker. Really terrible.
I meant "screaming for attention", not "screaming" like sounding harsh. To my ears Elac speaker don't present a life-like sound image, rather a polished-up sound that tries to sound good under all circumstances. I prefer a speaker that tells it like it is. If a record sounds great, I want my speakers to tell me that. If a record sound like crap, I want my speaker to tell me that too.
jamesblond is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, I've heard of Elac. My dad worked for them in the sixties and is one of the team who invented the neoprene compliant speaker cone surround that all modern powerful speakers use. He also found the solution to making the surround stay attached to the frame rather than ripping free when driven flat out, something that they'd been unable to successfully do. Prior to that speakers had pressed corrugated card edges which would rip if they were driven hard, they also restricted and resisted the cone's movement so reduced the maximum volume that way too, as well as introducing distortion and impairing the frequency response. All modern speakers use the neoprene compliant surround these days.

Did they give him a pay rise, promotion or even a little bonus in his pay packet for his essential work on this wonderful invention which probably made Elac a fortune? Did they hell! For their disrespect he quit working for them and who can blame him? Too often when a young man makes a technical breakthrough at work he'll be fobbed off with nothing by the management, not what he needed as he'd just got married and my mother was pregnant with my older sister.

Obviously though Elac's current management are not the same people today so they're not personally responsible for this, they're also no longer the same company due to having gone bankrupt and several mergers over the years.

Last edited by MickeyT2008; 07-07-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: To improve the accuracy of what I wrote
MickeyT2008 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off