Analytical floorstanding stereo -and- 5.1 mix set. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before starting to ask about the brands or setup I am or should be aiming for, I'd like give a little background on the analytical thing..

I never really liked warm-sounding gear or equipment that makes music sound more enjoyable and fun to listen to. It's said that analytical or bright sounding speakers/headphones in many cases imply listener-fatigue, in my case it seems the opposite. If my brain doesn't hear (or can't process if you will) superb details in the whole range, including crisp high's, or doesn't give a proper sound reproduction (even if that means a recording or format may sound "bad").. I get tired of it or it starts to annoy me a bit rather quickly.

My personal experience with analytical is only in the IEM (In-Ear Monitor) section, the Fischer Audio DBA-02. I've been to an audiophile headphone meeting afterwards listening to other top brands, but there wasn't much that got close or to my liking at all. So.. I'm reasonably sure I'm one for analytical preference wink.gif.

Currently have a mix of old, broken, second-hand speakers in my living and it sounds terrible, but doable, and I'd like to get myself a set to enjoy both stereo music without having to wear IEM's, as well as an extension to that to make it 5.1, all speakers preferrably of the same brand.

The music I listen to varies wildly, but I catch myself that I'm mostly listening to classical, opera, experimental (like Machinefabriek: listen to some on machinefabriek.nu), acoustic, spanish, world music, and some electro. My source for music is almost always some stored quality FLAC and if possible from a good source, sometimes XRCD (Extended Range CD) over HDMI (directly to the receiver).

The movies are in all cases Full HD 1080p with AC3 or DTS 5.1 (never had one that sported 6.1 or 7.1).

It's been a while ago that I've been searching on what would be right for me, and it landed on a 1500 euro NAD receiver, and a Klipsch RF-52 set. Going into it again in the last few days, I discovered that Klipsch speakers can be sort-of analytical, but won't do the job that well for classical or opera.. as the horn is mostly intended/working for stuff like brass or jazz, or even things like rock.

Been searching these forums a bit but I'm lost.. I've seen brands like Monitor Audio (but that is a bit expensive and limited), Bowers & Wilkins..

My hope is something..
  • In the range of 300-600 per speaker, the front (stereo) floorstanding are the ones I'd allow to become max 600 per piece.
  • Bass: speed, clear definition, tightness, hearable structure and extension. But defenitly available (and feelable, so to say, without the need of a subwoofer).
  • Mids: important, but natural.. voices need to be reproduced well for example.
  • High: amazing detail, air, as if it's an extended treble.
  • Good soundstage, imaging and seperation.

Anyone who can advise some brands to look into and test out in shops? Thanks in advance wink.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I would say go to your local pro-audio shop and give some of their studio monitors a spin. You might look at Adams especially. By the way, all the qualities you are asking for in a speaker is a real tall order for your budget. You might give Emotiva's Stealth speakers a look, the Stealth 6 and Stealth 8. Also give the KRK 10-3 a look.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would say go to your local pro-audio shop and give some of their studio monitors a spin. You might look at Adams especially. By the way, all the qualities you are asking for in a speaker is a real tall order for your budget. You might give Emotiva's Stealth speakers a look, the Stealth 6 and Stealth 8. Also give the KRK 10-3 a look.

Shouldn't be a price problem, well, I'm not expecting perfection.. as that is impossible to get anyway. The Klipsch RF floorstanding are under 600, as well as the Bowers & Wilkins CM7 for example, or the Monitor Audio RX8, etc.

Reason for asking is that I haven't had a listen to any of these yet, so I'd like to be pointed in somewhat the right direction indeed.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Not too proud of bumping my own post (I promise I won't do it again)..

..but any other advises? It doesn't need to be so extremely good that it only comes in monitor-speakers, I wouldn't want to make a 5.1 set based on those.

Any advises on brands are welcome! Anything going well with a NAD receiver would also be good.

Thanks in advance smile.gif.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
If you want an analytical speaker, than studio monitors are designed to do just that. No sound coloration, just a flat response. You can build a 5.1 system with them, and many people use active setups like that. If you are looking for a passive speaker however, I would look at NHT. The NHT Absolute Zero has a very flat response, and provides detailed and accurate sound. You can get a pair for $450, and then I would go and buy a sub to pair with them. An SVS SB-1000 measures extremely flat and would compliment the NHTs very well, giving you an accurate and detailed stereo setup. The whole deal would set you back $1000 including speaker stands.

Another opiton would be the Ascend Sierra-1s, they are very well reviewed and from what I have read are a neutral and detailed speaker.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page