Best Soundbar... bar none! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of the space (or lack thereof) between my front center and left speaker in-walls, I cannot use on-wall or stand alone speakers on the floor. The soundbar is pretty much the most I can use. 1 option is using a high end soundbar. I will be using 3 Sunfire Signature Amps to drive the Left, Center and Right portion of the soundbar plus the side and surround speakers. B&K Reference 70. All equipment will be in a Salamder type cabinet.
Who has had experiences with these?

- Revel
- BG Radia
- RBH
- Phase Technology
- Sonance
- Artison
- Leon
- Martin Logan

- Any others?

I am still planning on using in-wall side and possible rear surround speakers. I may or may not want to timbre match these surrounds.
Have not decided on subs but I may be able to get away with a stand alone sub or subs..possible conceal them..not sure.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

Because of the space (or lack thereof) between my front center and left speaker in-walls, I cannot use on-wall or stand alone speakers on the floor. The soundbar is pretty much the most I can use. 1 option is using a high end soundbar. I will be using 3 Sunfire Signature Amps to drive the Left, Center and Right portion of the soundbar plus the side and surround speakers. B&K Reference 70. All equipment will be in a Salamder type cabinet.

- Revel
- BG Radia
- RBH
- Phase Technology
- Sonance
- Artison
- Leon
- Martin Logan

- Any others?

I am still planning on using in-wall side and possible rear surround speakers. I may or may not want to timbre match these surrounds.
Have not decided on subs but I may be able to get away with a stand alone sub or subs..possible conceal them..not sure.
Also look at Kef

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
There is a soundbar specific sub-forum if you're interested.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #4 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

There is a soundbar specific sub-forum if you're interested.

I always felt that that forum was geared more towards active sound bars or complete 7.1 solutions. The OP is primarily asking about passive L/C/R sound bars that are in the relatively upper end of the spectrum, which I would consider to be applicable to the actual speaker forum. While these are "sound bars" I don't really view them the same way I do the HTIB pieces that are commonly discussed in that thread. I don't think that's fair to the manufacturers to lump them in with say, the Vizios, Samsungs, & ZVOX's of the world.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ok Thanks I didn't realize that. I don't have a problem with it I just thought he would get more help there.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #6 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

- Revel
- BG Radia
- RBH
- Phase Technology
- Sonance
- Artison
- Leon
- Martin Logan

- Any others?

Here you go I'm sure there is others. They can make you any length you need.
I hope you get it all worked out.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=by_series&id=30

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #7 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations? I have a ceiling that goes from 9 foot in the front of the room to 15 feet in back. What does dispersion look like? Is it good or bad to have high vertical dispersion? Are you mounting above or below the TV?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #8 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Ok Thanks I didn't realize that. I don't have a problem with it I just thought he would get more help there.

He probably would. Your suggestion was a good one. This is not the soundbar crowd in the speaker forum, and people here generally try to talk people out of buying a soundbar smile.gif

post #9 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at the $1500-3000 range. I will be providing my own power via 3 separate Sunfire Signature and Cinema amps. The other forum does look likes its geared for all in 1 solutions on the lower end.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #10 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM

What cel said that you should find a good speaker forum to find what you want? But i hear that there are so many experts on avsforum.biggrin.gif
post #11 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I'm looking at the $1500-3000 range. I will be providing my own power via 3 separate Sunfire Signature and Cinema amps. The other forum does look likes its geared for all in 1 solutions on the lower end.
What cel said that you should find a good speaker forum to find what you want? But i hear that there are so many experts on avsforum.biggrin.gifWv7Zu
post #12 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

That is a pretty big room for any sound bar unfortunately... I'm guessing you will be disappointed with even "best"....
If you have too, I would look for the sound bar with highest sensitivity ratings and power handling, with the biggest drivers possible...
Then judge sound quality for yourself... Test in your current home etc. (preferably in a large room). Btw, how far is the listening position from the speakers?

Regards
post #13 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I would consider having a custom soundbar built. Rick Craig could design and build you a great one base on your specific needs. (If he's willing/able to take on the project.)

Little Loft Home Theater
post #14 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post

I would consider having a custom soundbar built. Rick Craig could design and build you a great one base on your specific needs. (If he's willing/able to take on the project.)
selahaudio.com

Little Loft Home Theater
post #15 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
To the OP:
Check out the hometheater.com and audioholics.com They have some great reviews on Sound Bars in your price range

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #16 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:

That looks like a good price range... How big is the TV?

Control4
post #17 of 31 Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I would say given your limited options for your big room consider:
Leon 616
Phase Technogy Teatro 3.0
Golden Ear Sound Bar (forget model)
Output will be limited regardless though....
post #18 of 31 Old 09-07-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you want them custom fit to match the width of your display, then there are only three, Triad, James and Leon.
post #19 of 31 Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 PM

The Leon mentioned above, or also see the Atlantic Technology FS-5000.

Kipa
post #20 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Will be using a 65" plasma on an articulating mount. Omnimount makes one.
Seating position is 13 feet from the Plasma

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #21 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I also heard BG Radia will also custom make one....

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #22 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

If you want them custom fit to match the width of your display, then there are only three, Triad, James and Leon.

There are more and more companies climbing on board this concept....

Add,to your list
- BG Radia
- Induction Dynamics
- TruAudio (who has a little known custom division)
- I believe RBH will do this as well

Some manufacturers are going to start following Artison's example and make custom width grille fascias as well. This works as well as the other but gives a much lower cost to change the grille instead of the speaker as your display changes.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

There are more and more companies climbing on board this concept....

Add,to your list
- BG Radia
- Induction Dynamics
- TruAudio (who has a little known custom division)
- I believe RBH will do this as well

Some manufacturers are going to start following Artison's example and make custom width grille fascias as well. This works as well as the other but gives a much lower cost to change the grille instead of the speaker as your display changes.
MultiPlex -

Do you know the specs on the BG Radia Sound Bar? I was at their site the other day and could not find it. Driver size, sensitivity, power handling, etc.
Though with the LP 13' away in that size room, I believe the OP might be a little "underwhelmed" regardless with which sound bar he chooses....

Regards,
Pat
post #24 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

MultiPlex -

Do you know the specs on the BG Radia Sound Bar? I was at their site the other day and could not find it. Driver size, sensitivity, power handling, etc.
Though with the LP 13' away in that size room, I believe the OP might be a little "underwhelmed" regardless with which sound bar he chooses....

Regards,
Pat

I have listened to the Atlantic Technology Powerbar 235 at 10' and I was surprised at how good of a job that it did. Now this was in a nice enclosed rectangular room, so that helped. I would never consider it over a nice HT speaker system, if you have the space for correct speaker layout, but it did do a lot better than I expected.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #25 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I have listened to the Atlantic Technology Powerbar 235 at 10' and I was surprised at how good of a job that it did. Now this was in a nice enclosed rectangular room, so that helped. I would never consider it over a nice HT speaker system, if you have the space for correct speaker layout, but it did do a lot better than I expected.

The problem with a lot of companies sound bars, Atlantic's included, is that they do not go well with flat panels in what I would call a "typical" installation. To me, a sound bar mounted up under or above & against a flat panel display is perfect for an above the fireplace install. It keeps the TV low while aesthetically offering a very easy & unobtrusive look. A lot of companies product is too deep, too tall, or too challenging to mount and have look perfect.

Phase Technology's sound bar is another example of an unreal performer. It sounds HUGE and presents premium drivers and quality. But, it's got an equally HUGE draw back, IMO. It sticks out too far from the wall for a modern, super thin display and cannot bracket up with the TV. Instead, it is wall mounted underneath. It's just not attractive compared to other offerings (LEON, for example). The goal for most people is for their system is to SOUND & LOOK great. Too many options in 2013 for someone to only get one of the two.

Do these sound like dedicated theaters or big floor standing systems? Not usually. There are a few that can. I would argue that Phase Tech's and some of the larger LEON's do, but that negates the point of the sound bar. If space and aesthetics aren't a concern and 100% all out no-compromise performance is, then just throw towers or monitors around and live around your gear.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

MultiPlex -

Regards,
Pat

Pat,

The BG sound bar is something that they make, but until they have their full lineup ready to release, don't expect to see it on their website yet. They are working on small, medium, and large configs and are going to have the line up and running as soon as they can. They are very talented over there.

Specs
- I don't want to speak for them, but I know that for a 60" panel they are going to be limited on width, so look for a driver compliment consisting of the NEO3 tweeters and the 4" Kevlar woofers (like what's found in the IC-201/

- For a 65" panel I think they may be able to get the NEO8 midrange in there as well and engineer it like the CC220 center (only without the 6 1/2" woofers). They are engineering one for our design center and I have somethings I want to run by them regarding drivers, layout, and costing.

In my opinion, I think that the NEO3 and the 4" drivers with some porting would present a clean sound that goes down far enough for a substantial sound. In dealing with BG for the last 7 years I would tell anyone this.... They don't make toys. They make serious gear. I don't think they'll engineer anything that isn't outstanding by their standards. That's just not what they do.

With the wide dispersion of the NEO3 the soundstage will be huge and, since they can handle high levels of power, there's no reason that 13' away from this is not going to sound strong enough.

Keep in mind, pieces like this are primarily used in a family room. Not a dedicated theater or media space where there is room for large in-walls or in-room box speaker. People's wants list typically go like this:

- Looks great without being obtrusive.
- Intelligible volume with spoken dialogue when watching TV or a movie.
- Play comfortably loud enough when having company over without becoming unpleasant.
- Excellent channel separation with a wide stage. Left sounds like the left, Center in the center, Right on the right.
- Loud and clean when turned up for action movies.
- Music Performance when streaming from iPOD, Rhapsody, SONOS, etc.

BG NEO3 along with the capable 4" Kevlar woofers will allow the sound bar to excel at all of this.
post #27 of 31 Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Multiplex,
Thanks for the response, and I agree. I used to be an installer/integrator myself with BG Radia as my main speaker line. In my theater room I have the 360's for my LCR's (all vertically placed with a transparent screen), SS-202's for my side surrounds, and the PD-8ci as rear surrounds.
Needless to say the sound is phenomenal...
post #28 of 31 Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have the Specs on the actual BG Radia Sound Bars?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #29 of 31 Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Will be using a 65" plasma on an articulating mount. Omnimount makes one.

26.gif

post #30 of 31 Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

All this talk got me motivated. My SPL39LCR will be here Monday for sitting room.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/productdet.cfm?page=itemdetail&id=269

With this sub and M1000 amp added the sitting room will be rocking.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/productdet.cfm?page=itemdetail&id=236

Control4
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel Concerta F12 , Martin Logan Matinee Center Channel Electrostatic Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page