Speaker selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am putting together my first home theater and would like suggestions between the two speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Venturi-Speaker-Single/dp/B00011KLOI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top for $127 each
or
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi300-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0018QPSBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378427508&sr=8-1&keywords=tsi300 $200 for the pair.

Also plan to add a center channel and sub, looking for matching suggestions as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I forgot to mention this is for movies and television only. I am not concerned with music if that makes a big difference.

Thanks again
post #3 of 20 Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Budget, room size, distance to main listening position, expectations??????

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 20 Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Budget for LRC sub and receiver i would like to be under $1000. Rear speakers can wait.
The room is 17' long 11' wide. I sit 12' from the TV. I would like a clean crisp movie experience with decent bass to add to effects. obviously as good as I can get within my budget being as limited as it is.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Hello Pat

I reckon this is about the best you can do for a grand:

If you want a good sounding budget floorstander, these are widely regarded to be the champion:
Pioneer by Andrew Jones SP-FS52
: $260/pair

Matching centre speaker: Pioneer by Andrew Jones SP-C22 : $100

Here is a review by Audioholics of the 5.1 Pioneer system.

The sub is fairly weak though. Substitute this solidly performing ID sub: SVS PB-1000 Outlet Special : $450

Good value 5.1 channel AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT: Denon AVR-1713 (factory refurbished) : $270

TOTAL : $1080

I'm marginally over your desired budget, due to the step up to the SVS sub but I think it's worth it. If you get the Pio AJ monitors for surrounds later on, you'll have spent ~50% of your speaker budget on the sub, which is reasonable.

Oh! ...and welcome to AVS! smile.gif
Kini62 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be picking up the pioneer floor and center speakers. For the sub i was thinking about
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378480474&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+f12

I found the Denon 1713 on Amazon for slightly more but new.

Anyone have experience with Pioneer VSX-823-K?
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismean View Post

I found the Denon 1713 on Amazon for slightly more but new.

Anyone have experience with Pioneer VSX-823-K?

I would go with the Denon for the better room correction software. Using the mic that comes with it, the Denon will automagically EQ your speakers AND sub for a better in-room response. The Pioneer will only correct the speakers.

The BIC F12 is one of the best subs for $200. But you said wanted decent bass. Subs are a big speaker in a big enclosure with an amplifier. So you are paying for a lot of stuff. Consequently, there are significant gains in getting a more expensive sub because $100 or $200 subs are a lot of compromise. This is why Audioholics recommends the SVS PB-1000 in their conclusion of their review of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs/pioneer-sp-pk52fs-conclusion. Now that's a $500 sub, but there are certainly options in between that and the BIC F12 that are worth the extra money.

post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good call on the Andrew Jones speakers! biggrin.gif

The BIC F12 is probably a pretty reasonable sub. For that price, I'd pick up two of them... not for any extra output (there'll be some), but for the ability to smooth out the bass response over the listening area by experimenting with placement. You could have a read of this thread and then ask for opinions on the BIC.

Here is another good ID sub option: HSU Research VTF-1 MK2 (Labour Day Sale) : $429

You can see I'm encouraging you to assign more of your budget to the sub(s) rather than the AVR - I believe they offer far greater potential for improved overall audio quality in your room, especially for the movie watching experience.

I've got no experience with the Pioneer. I've only had AVR's with Audyssey and I personally wouldn't buy an AVR without it.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Here is another good ID sub option: HSU Research VTF-1 MK2 (Labour Day Sale) : $429

That doesn't include shipping, does it? Add in shipping, and it's almost the same price as the PB-1000, which will have deeper extension (down to 19hz), and maybe even more output, based on the way people have been describing how loud it can get. S&V thought it was the best sub for under $500: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/04/19/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer

post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes good point, I neglected to include shipping. I agree that the SVS is probably the better sub (which is why I initially recommended it in my post above), but was just providing another option. You posted while I was compiling my post addressing the OP - I wasn't "game saying" your post cel.

I agree 100% with everything you said in post #7 FWIW. smile.gif
post #11 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

So i went in to demo some the pioneers and immediately realized my budget is unrealistic. I'm thinking i'm going to have to buy a few pieces at a time.

I was really impressed by the sound of the Definitive SM45 Monitors for $199 each. A friend of mine has an SVS sub and i love it. They didnt have one for me to hear tonight but the monitors were paired with a Martin Logan Dynamo 500. Im thinking i can get away with The Denon 2 fronts and a sub for now
post #12 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So i went in to demo some the pioneers and immediately realized my budget is unrealistic. I'm thinking i'm going to have to buy a few pieces at a time.
Are you saying that you were underwhelmed by the Pioneers and need to look at a higher calibre of speaker? Yes, managing a greater budget by buying in stages is a good strategy.

Quote:

I was really impressed by the sound of the Definitive SM45 Monitors for $199 each. A friend of mine has an SVS sub and i love it. They didnt have one for me to hear tonight but the monitors were paired with a Martin Logan Dynamo 500. Im thinking i can get away with The Denon 2 fronts and a sub for now
So as a first stage, are you now thinking $1000 budget for the AVR, two monitors and a sub? If so, I recommend these:

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE Bookshelf Monitor : $330/pair shipped (on sale)

Along with the SVS PB-1000 and Denon AVR-1713, your total initial spend will be $1050.

Stage 2 is to add a centre. Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Centre Channel : $324 shipped

The next stage is to move the monitors to surround duty and add new mains. Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower : $608/pair shipped.

At this point you will have assembled an outstanding small system for under $2000.

At some point down the track you could consider adding a second identical sub. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Makes sense to do that. I really like the Ascend Acoustics that GIEGAR mentioned. But if you found speakers you like the sound of, then go with them.

As far as the Martin Logan Dynamo 500, the SVS PB-1000 should be a better sub.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yes i was not impressed with the Pioneers and was amazed by the sound coming from the Def Tech's. Could be my lack of knowledge with home audio but i was happy so I ordered the SM45 pair, SVS PB1000, and the Denon AVR 1713 for $1200. My budget was more so to make the wife feel better so if i build in stages i can get away with spending a little more lol.

The center channel will come shortly then move the monitors to the back to make room for Floor standing speakers up front. Depending which floor speakers i get i assume the total system will cost about $3000.

I greatly appreciate everyone's advice on my first purchase. I will post back once everything is setup.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's a good plan. But consider you may not need floorstanders since you'll have the PB-1000. The sub will be taking over below 80hz, so the towers may not offer much improvement over larger monitors.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Larger monitors makes things easier. Also is it a bad idea to mount book shelf speakers to the ceiling pointed downward? I've heard they need to be eye level to get the best sound.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:

Larger monitors makes things easier. Also is it a bad idea to mount book shelf speakers to the ceiling pointed downward?
It's a very good idea, assuming you mean 'close to the ceiling'.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes i was not impressed with the Pioneers and was amazed by the sound coming from the Def Tech's. Could be my lack of knowledge with home audio but i was happy so I ordered the SM45 pair, SVS PB1000, and the Denon AVR 1713 for $1200. My budget was more so to make the wife feel better so if i build in stages i can get away with spending a little more lol.

The center channel will come shortly then move the monitors to the back to make room for Floor standing speakers up front. Depending which floor speakers i get i assume the total system will cost about $3000.

I greatly appreciate everyone's advice on my first purchase. I will post back once everything is setup.

If you were amazed/happy with the sound of the Def Tech's that's the most important thing Pat.

I suggest you now introduce yourself to the Def Tech owners thread and seek their opinion on the centre and mains that are within your budget and will be a good sonic match for the SM45's as surrounds. The SM65's would appear to be the obvious choice for a monitor style main speaker. The centre channel is not clear to me.

Edit: I see from the specs on the SM65 product page that it can be orientated vertically and horizontally, so three across the front is a viable option. I would still quiz the fellas on the Def Tech thread though. (Horizontally aligned MTM (D'Appolito) speakers do have issues with off-axis lobing.)
post #19 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

Larger monitors makes things easier. Also is it a bad idea to mount book shelf speakers to the ceiling pointed downward?
It's a very good idea, assuming you mean 'close to the ceiling'.

Bill, looking at the context from post #15, I think the OP is asking about mounting monitor style mains (close) to the ceiling. If this is the case, it would be a bad idea wouldn't it? Ideally the LCR speaker's tweeters should be mounted close to seated ear height or at least aimed towards seated ear height. Surrounds can generally be mounted closer to the ceiling with tweeters aimed a 18 to 24" above the listeners heads.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

I suggest you now introduce yourself to the Def Tech owners thread and seek their opinion on the centre and mains that are within your budget and will be a good sonic match for the SM45's as surrounds. The SM65's would appear to be the obvious choice for a monitor style main speaker. The centre channel is not clear to me.

Edit: I see from the specs on the SM65 product page that it can be orientated vertically and horizontally, so three across the front is a viable option. I would still quiz the fellas on the Def Tech thread though. (Horizontally aligned MTM (D'Appolito) speakers do have issues with off-axis lobing.)

+1

Definitely get help from the owners thread. People there can tell you the best way to allocate your budget for building out your setup smile.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Tsi300 Floorstanding Speaker Single Black , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page