Need a powered speaker recommendation for outside projector movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, a few months ago, I borrowed a projector and a speaker from work because I felt like watching movies outside. My work loaned me a projector and a mipro speaker. I think it was this speaker they loaned me...

http://www.focusedtechnology.com/ma-705exp.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19154206696&utm_content=pla&gclid=CKjx7o_HubkCFbBDMgodtgEAEw

When I got it from the guys in the AV department at my work, I kind of saw how small the speaker and said I didn't think it would be loud enough. They told me I'd be suprised how loud that little speaker gets. Well, be honest, I had to crank it all the way loud during the movies and I wasn't exactly impressed. But the audio was loud enough for us to hear the movie. The bass was lacking. If there was a big boom in the movie, it seemed to distort.

Well, after a few weeks of having movie nights, I think we got a reputation of having a cool movie setup at our house and people want to come over to watch movies outside. (We hang sheets on our barn side to project them on. It's a pretty big screen.)

Well, I returned the projector and speaker to my work so I wasn't borrowing something that wasn't mine forever... kind of bothers me.

I bought a used projector off of ebay and then I bought some Logitech $30 speakers from Best Buy that have the two satellites and a subwoofer. I really wasn't impressed at all with the audio last night when we watched the movie. When I listened to the logitech speakers in the barn they're loud when hooked up to my iphone. When I hooked the DVD player to the projector using RCA cables then I used a miniplug audio cable to connect from the projector to the Logitech computer speakers.

I had to crank the audio all the way up on the Logitech speakers and then point the satellite speakers at the groups of people and had to sit pretty close to the little speaker to hear the movie. I checked the volume control on the projector and it was turned all the way up, so the projector shouldn't have been limiting the audio volume. Like I said, the audio is pretty loud when I listen to audio from my phone in the barn. Outside I can barely hear it. Is it just the difference of being inside and in an enclosed space vs outside in a wide open space that makes the speakers sound way quieter?

Last night, when I was going to hook it up, I was first thinking I wanted to hook it directly from the DVD player to the speakers, but then noticed I didn't have a cable that would go RCA to a female mini-plug that would allow me to plug the male miniplug that's hardwired into the logitech speakers. Maybe it would've been louder if I didn't have to go through the projector?

Or does someone have a better solution for the audio that doesn't cost a million dollars? Really, about $100 is the most I'd want to spend on an audio solution. If you suggest something, I'll be looking on eBay for a used cheap version of it to save money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Go on Craig's list or to goodwill and pick up an old stereo with big old tower speakers for under $50. Something around 100 wpc. 8" woofers ideal here. Will sound fine for outdoors and plenty loud. I'm thinking college frat party outdoor music style here.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page