Paradigm bookcase for surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room measures 16feet deep, and about 12ft wide. My tv is off enter on a 12ft wall, due to the opening into the entrance way. Pictures are attached below.

I want to grab a matching pair of paradigm se1 book case speakers while they are available, to match my se center and se3 towers. One day I will pick up surround 3's but for the time being when placing the bookcase speakers.. Should they be centered with the main speakers, or is it possible to put them in the corners of my back wall?

Clearly the whole system will be offset. I'm sure the denon can auto calibrate to make things sound even. But I wanted opinions

Tv wall

And then the other side of the room where I kinda wanna place the surround speakers in the corners, 1-2 feet off the corners with a down firing sub in one of the two corners, prob behind the couch

Random pictures

The goal is to add speakers above the tv, and on the back wall.. For now just back wall and sub..

Let me know what yall think for placement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Also, when and if its recommended just throw the bookcase speakers in the corners... Should I wall mount? Or throw em up on a nice stand? Roughly how high should they be up the wall depending on if wall mounted or floor stands. Thanks guys! Standard 8foot ceilings
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
In my opinion (not really worth $0.02) I would place your TV and towers about a foot off what is now the back wall and give them a bit more room beside your tv. Again I'd try for at least a foot from any other object.
Then I'd mount the new se's 6' off the floor lined up with the new sweet spot.

Nov.14
post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
As long as you can calibrate everything so the sound is the same volume at your listening position, they should be fine. I run Paradigm, fronts and center, but my surrounds are some Energy reference Bipole/Dipole, I got for $120 total. I don't notice the difference with them being unmatched. Mine are wall mounted, but they are not far from my listening position.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could redo the room and put the tv on the currently "back wall" but the home was a foreclosurer I've been working on for a year now. No money to get another couch. This was is just awkwardly big for the room the room.

Does anyone recommend other surround speakers? Clearly it's not critical to all be the same brand, style speaker. I do like matching brands tho.. Anyone offer nice surround speakers and a sub as decent prices?!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14swap240sx View Post

I wish I could redo the room and put the tv on the currently "back wall" but the home was a foreclosurer I've been working on for a year now. No money to get another couch. This was is just awkwardly big for the room the room.

Does anyone recommend other surround speakers? Clearly it's not critical to all be the same brand, style speaker. I do like matching brands tho.. Anyone offer nice surround speakers and a sub as decent prices?!

Check Audiogon.

http://app.audiogon.com/

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Its messed up.
After writing my post here the idea really hit home.
I have the option to turn my room around.
I got a no from the wife already but if my PJ shows up and has a good image I'm doing it.

Nov.14
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page