Too many choices! Apartment overkill? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Usually when I go to buy something, I avoid making these threads, but that's until I decided to start putting together a home theater system lol, this is the longest I've spent, and the most confused I've gotten trying to purchase something.

Anyways, I'm currently living in an apartment, so looking to start small (unless you guys think otherwise) and just do a 2ch audio system. However, I will eventually be moving into a house so would be nice to have something that I can upgrade to a full 5.1 and it still suite a bigger sized room later down the road. Doing 5.1 here would involve getting a wireless sub and rear speakers.. and I really doubt it's worth messing with all that.

So the room is fairly small 13' by 13' if you count just the "TV area" and not the adjoined dining room, 13' by 24' with. TV is wall mounted and couch pushed up all the way against the wall.

Apartment is fairly thin walled, hence why I opted no sub, but don't want to by completely devoid of any hint of bass for daytime viewing, so looked into speakers that still had good bass response. This search came up with mainly towers, but a few bookshelf speakers seemed to fit the bill as well.

For bookshelves I looked into the SVS Ultra and GoldenEar Aon

For towers, was thinking about GoldenEar Triton 7 or Defenitive Tech 8020ST due to their built in subs. However, I'm doubting the DT speaker will work due to being bidirectional and I'm going to have to cram them both into corners and against walls. Also recently stumbled upon the best sub $1000 speaker thread and considering those as well. Also not sure if towers would cause more of a problem do to their closer proximity to the floor (I'm on 2nd).

And then option 3 was just saying screw it, and getting something cheap in the meantime like Pioneers, instead of trying to put nice gear in a ridiculous environment and doing it right later down the road when I get a house lol.

My max budget was going to be $1500, but I'm not against spending less.. let's say my budget is potentially $200 to $1500 haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I found the Polk Rti A9s to have very good bass, excellent down to 40 Hz. At Amazon, you can get a pair for almost $1500 exactly. They are somewhat common speakers, and you shouldn't have any problems finding any to demo unless you live in a very rural area. They are certainly powerful enough to bother your neighbors. If you want to be a good neighbor, I would just get a good pair of bookshelf speakers with some good extension. The Philharmonitors are highly regarded and have very good bass extension for bookshelf speakers. If you intend on doing something more extravagant later on, you might go two channel for now with some bookshelfs with the intention of using those bookshelf speakers as surrounds later when you get a house.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
If you change your mind and do want to go with a sub, Outlaw Audios OAW3 wireless would work well. And you get a little discount on it if you buy it with one of their subs. Their LFM-1 Plus would work very well in that size room.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I found the Polk Rti A9s to have very good bass, excellent down to 40 Hz. At Amazon, you can get a pair for almost $1500 exactly. They are somewhat common speakers, and you shouldn't have any problems finding any to demo unless you live in a very rural area. They are certainly powerful enough to bother your neighbors. If you want to be a good neighbor, I would just get a good pair of bookshelf speakers with some good extension. The Philharmonitors are highly regarded and have very good bass extension for bookshelf speakers. If you intend on doing something more extravagant later on, you might go two channel for now with some bookshelfs with the intention of using those bookshelf speakers as surrounds later when you get a house.

Good point, I think bookshelves would be less of a problem, and would be more easily incorporated into something else later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you change your mind and do want to go with a sub, Outlaw Audios OAW3 wireless would work well. And you get a little discount on it if you buy it with one of their subs. Their LFM-1 Plus would work very well in that size room.

Yea, I'm still debating it, I've got a friend with a wireless sub in his apartment, he just put it right next to his couch and keeps the volume low, no complaints so far.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 22
I'd suggest doing a 3.1 surround package. Given the position of the couch there really is no option for getting the surround speakers to work properly.

In an apartment it is going to be the bass frequencies which travel transparently through walls. You can always set your sub at -3 or -6 dB for normal use to get a sense of low frequency, or even turning it off and listening to just the stuff above 80 Hz after 9 pm. (Not unlike what you would get from TV speakers – perhaps 150 Hz at best)

Go with the Polk M10s for LCR, typically about $100 per pair. When you move into a house these can become your surround speakers. I run the M10s and have no problem with their abilities, good to about 70 Hz.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/m10

As for a sub, the Polk PSW110 for a couple of hundred dollars will be adequate – you will be under driving it. Drop it in beside the TV using wires. I've dealt with wireless at a friend's place and did not consider it to be worth the effort.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/psw110

Budget, maybe $400 if you watch for sales.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp 8020st Ea Bipolar Tower With Built In Powered Subwoofer Each , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker
Gear in this thread - 8020st by PriceGrabber.com