Klipsch B Grade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well as being new to having a decent sound system. I purchased a Klipsch system less than a year ago, and I'm already looking at upgrading it. I currently have RF-82's, RC-62, and RS-42's, a Denon AVR-1713, and 2 RW-10's. My entertainment room is 18'W x 22'D with an 8' ceiling, carpeted. I really want the RF-7's for fronts, mostly because they are Bad-ass, as well as a RC-64 center. First off, how would the RF-82's do as rears in a 7.2 system, and do you think RF-7's with a RC-64 is way overkill for that size room?
There are a few things I realize, one is that I would need to upgrade my receiver, and two my subs aren't the greatest, but I really like the looks of the RF-7's/RC-64 combo!
I've seen some RF-7's and RC-64's online, but labelled as B-grade, has anyone purchased these? What's the real story behind "B-grade", or is it that Klipsch didn't like the wood veneer like I've read about?
Thanks guys.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Dave, I think you understand correctly.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wasn't sure if B grade meant something so little, I figured it would have to be a serious manufacturing error, or possible refurbished units.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Look at my thread in the Great Found Deals Room for the B Stock RF-7IIs.

Click on the link & read. Call Klipsch before buying, to verify they are Authorized on-line dealer.

Let us know all the details, please.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Afaik, Sound Distributors is an authorized dealer and I suspect Klipsch offers these through them when the market is slow...They are evidently a darker cherry like the Klipsch RF-7 Classics, which they sold as a special order item as effort not to undercut their dealers who were trying to sell RF-83s at the time and have done this before with the current line through the same outfit.

My thought is you would also want to get the RC-64II in the same color and given we are all on the AVSForum I would also contact them to see if they can match the price. Good luck.
SanchoPanza likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

ZT, would you please comment on his other questions about the RF-7II, e. C.?

Also, might I add, try to use another RF7-II as center, IF you can make it work.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlozy View Post

...First off, how would the RF-82's do as rears in a 7.2 system, and do you think RF-7's with a RC-64 is way overkill for that size room?
There are a few things I realize, one is that I would need to upgrade my receiver, and two my subs aren't the greatest, but I really like the looks of the RF-7's/RC-64 combo!

Sure--I think the RF-82s would work as surrounds or rears and in that configuration you would definitely want to upgrade your AVR to one that can handle 4 Ohm speakers...I have a 9.2 configuration using RF-3 towers as surrounds and recently purchased a discontinued upper-end Denon AVR-4311ci from OneCall.com for $1299 which fits the bill. I saw someone mention they got the newer Denon AVR-4520ci from AVSForum for a good price and may possibly be upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 but you would need to check with them on that.

That said, a cheaper AVR with pre-outs for a separate amp may also be an option and others seem to go that route.
SanchoPanza likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Sure--I think the RF-82s would work as surrounds or rears and in that configuration you would definitely want to upgrade your AVR to one that can handle 4 Ohm speakers...I have a 9.2 configuration using RF-3 towers as surrounds and recently purchased a discontinued upper-end Denon AVR-4311ci from OneCall.com for $1299 which fits the bill. I saw someone mention they got the newer Denon AVR-4520ci from AVSForum for a good price and may possibly be upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 but you would need to check with them on that.

I'm running my Martin Logan 4 ohm speakers with a 4520 and I have plenty of power. I agree that upgrading that reciever should be a priority. By the way, while we don't usually have Klipsch B stock speakers, we, sometimes have open box Klipsch speakers available - give one of us a call here at AV Science.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys, now it's time to convince the wife!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Give Craig a call & see if he can do better.

Then tell her, they what the normal price is.

Let us know how it goes.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Rc62 Black 2 Way Center Channel Speaker , Klipsch Reference Series Rs42 Dual 4 Inch , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Klipsch Reference Series Rw 10d 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer