Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Well "best" is a relative term. That certainly is an impressive sub, if you venture over to the DIY forums there are a lot of peope building walls of those eek.gif I think that is a good reference to see how various subs perform, and those numbers don't necessarily rank them, but just offer objective measurements.
Yeah. Regardless of measurements, you still need to hear it for yourself to see if you like it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think a processor is needed? Can I do without it?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I would consider power conditioners more of a luxury item. It is definitely not a necessity, a good surge protector is really all you need.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmusic View Post

Yeah. Regardless of measurements, you still need to hear it for yourself to see if you like it or not.

While that's true for speakers, not so much with subs as you might think.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would consider power conditioners more of a luxury item. It is definitely not a necessity, a good surge protector is really all you need.
A surge protector like the ADP type?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

While that's true for speakers, not so much with subs as you might think.
So with subs, it's good to have good measurements numbers?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

A surge protector like the ADP type?

I am not familiar with "ADP", is that a brand? APC makes some decent power strips.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:

Hi,

I'm ready to make a purchase on some home theater speakers. My budget is $1500 for a pair of tower speakers and $600 for center. My use will be 80% movie and 20% music (pop, musicals, classics). I am upgrading from a 5.1 system consisting of (don't laugh) JBL ES80 tower, center, sub, small back speakers and a Pioneer VSX 1022k. The speakers will be installed in my loft which is16'x25'.

I have checked out the B&W 683 at Best Buy and they are nice. But I've read some of the threads here and the people who has them use them mostly for music. I will be using more for movies. So I would like to know what your recommendations are for the best speakers for a home movie theater experience.

Thanks!

Steve

PS I've been told that I can keep my Pioneer receiver regardless of which speakers I choose. Do you agree with that?

The best sound speakers I've ever heard for under $2000 per pair are only $695 per pair because they are Chinese made and sold manufacturer direct with no middle man markups. They are from EMP - the internet direct arm of RBH Sound and called Impressions. I have a pair. For the price they are spectacular. Ignoring the price they outperform speakers costing 2 or 3 times more. There are two choices for center channel and they are just as cost effective as the the towers. That will leave you plenty of money for a good subwoofer which it critical to home theater.

Yes you can keep your receiver and use it happily.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The best sound speakers I've ever heard for under $2000 per pair are only $695 per pair because they are Chinese made and sold manufacturer direct with no middle man markups. They are from EMP - the internet direct arm of RBH Sound and called Impressions. I have a pair. For the price they are spectacular. Ignoring the price they outperform speakers costing 2 or 3 times more. There are two choices for center channel and they are just as cost effective as the the towers. That will leave you plenty of money for a good subwoofer which it critical to home theater.

Yes you can keep your receiver and use it happily.
Thanks but I'm done with the front and center speakers.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

So would you say that the DIY, XXX Ported sub is the best on the list since it has the highest output at the lowest frequency? Of course, it's also massive 41" wide and costing $2000!

Depends on what you are looking for. Te REXXX is one of the best subs for really low end output, but it takes a lot of juice and EQ to get that output. It is a great driver, but it is a driver that I would consider for those seeking the very low end. A pair of those with high output mains, capable of going down to 60hz would be a good match.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:

So with subs, it's good to have good measurements numbers?

Measurements can tell you a whole lot smile.gif

Generally, though, if you just want a good sub, those Internet direct sub manufacturers I mentioned above all make excellent sounding products. So you want to decide how deep of bass extension you want. And you have to figure out how much maximum SPL you need for your room. Then choose between ported and sealed. Good ported subs typically have a fairly linear response to their tuning point where they drop off rapidly. Sealed subs (other than those with DSP) will tend to roll off more gradually. Take the same driver and use it in a sealed sub and a ported sub enclosure, and you should get more output of the ported design, but a little tighter sound out of the sealed design. But I am generalizing here smile.gif

You might enjoy reading this subwoofer shootout at S&V. The SB12-NSD is likely most similar to the NHT sealed sub described in the shootout: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-800-subwoofers?page=0,0

The SVS says that the PC-12 performs almost identical to the PB12-NSD. Most people on the AVS subwoofer forum would agree that you have to go to a 15" sub before you can get more output than the PSA XV-15 in that review.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver , Jbl Es80bk 3 Way Dual 6 1 2 Floorstanding Speaker Black